Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82 SC Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 SC Value

Hi all, new here and been lurking for a while collecting information.

I'm beginning my search for a 911 which I'm sure could be a lengthy process to find the right car. Mostly interested in 82-87 range.

I've got one car on the radar that I'd like to get your estimated value for. My stepfather has a 1982 SC targa with about 25k miles on it. He has had it for 10 years give or take, and last I talked to him he has not driven it in a year or so. What do you think?

Another I'm working at is sitting in my neighbors garage. He is storing his sons 1974 targa. Not sure of the mileage, but he bought it in NC where he had some work done by a mechanic in the local PCA. He tells me his son will let it go for $18k but I think he's a bit inflated.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! This is one of the best boards for the 911 model. Lots of great info to be had.

If the Targa does indeed have 25,000 miles on it and it's in mint condition, you may find that it could bring nearly $30k to the right collector. An '82 with those ultra low mileage is extremely rare and if the car was stored correctly, it could be a time capsule and extremely valuable. We'd need a bit more information and pictures to correctly make a guess on it's value.

The '74 Targa seems grossly overpriced unless it too is a pristine example with an updated motor, water tight history, fully serviced, etc. Again, we'd need more information to estimate a value.

Jay
08 987
90 964
84 911
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Now if it was a 73 Targa.................
Old 01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

The 74 is not pristine but in good shape. Have not pursued too many details because this is not my most desired year. The owner lives in NY and his dad has limited info. I figure I'll let him sit for a while and see if the price drops. It is not being marketed at all so no hurry.

The 82 is in great shape. Garage kept since my stepfather has owned it. The mileage is approximate, but close. I remember looking at the odometer and being speechless. I have no pics. The body is straight and paint is clean. Engine compartment looks clean. Interior is solid. I do know he indicated the last time he started it the neighbors almost called the fire dept because they thought his house was on fire. Not sure if that indicates a problem or if it's because he starts it very infrequently. I'm merely looking for rough value so I know what to expect when I finally wear him down and get him to sell it to me.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

What kind of 911 are you looking for? One to drive or one to show?

If you want something to drive, I'd suggest looking for one with much higher mileage that has been used and maintained regularily. This low mileage car may have lots of leaks from seals drying up from infrequent use.

If you want a concours or show car, then maybe this is the car...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

The car will be a summer driver and involved in some club events. High mileage cars scare me for some reason. I guess I need to learn what to look for when checking these out.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Jay H
Drifting

911's just don't wear out like typical cars do if they are well cared for. I've been in 200,000+ mile cars that drove better than 50,000 mile cars. My '84 has 106k on the clock and it runs and drives extremely well. It does take time and money to keep them as new, but parts are available and you can make these cars run like new for decades.

There is nothing different to look for on a 911 than any other used car other than oil leaks. They are simple cars with basic designs dating back to the '60's. However, some systems can get expensive to repair such as the A/C, oil cooling, clutch work, etc. Of course a decent motor overhaul can run $10k in a hurry and transmission rebuilding can be $3500 or more.

Do some searching on this forum. There are years and years worth of posts that address exactly what you are wanting to learn.

Get some seat time in as many of these older 911's that you can. Go to Porsche Club of America events in your region and ask questions. We owners love to talk about our cars.

Get Peter Zimmerman's book that is advertised here on this forum. There is a wealth of "what to look for" information in his book.

Good luck!

Jay
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
mike5876
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Now if it was a 73 Targa.................
my neighbor has a PERFECT 1973 911s targa in his garage...ive seen the cover off but have never seen it outside
Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM
emac
Racer

Ok guys you can flame me if you wish but something bothers me with a car that has only 25k on it and MurphyJP says the body is straight and the paint is clean this car should be in like new condition. Photos would be of great help.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Most I know is my stepfather bought the car at a dealer in Modesto, CA where it was traded in. shortly after purchase he moved to Houston. He travels a lot and has little time to drive it. Unfortunately, the Porsche along with his motorcycles don't see the street but once a year. As I said he's had the car for 10 years or so.

Quick Reply: 82 SC Value