Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newby help/advice SC or carrerra buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
k6cdxwjl
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby help/advice SC or carrerra buy

Greetings to all, I'm looking for a SC or carrerra as a first porsche after wanting one for many year. I found a local shop familiar with 911's but the manager said the typical PPI is a one hour affair, unless I wanted the leak down/compression test specifically. I plan to look at several and if they pass the first look/drive I will take for a PPI. Should I find another shop for a PPI? Or can a good mechanic spot a dog (or gem) quickly and tell if more investigation needs to be done? I found a fairly straight 83 SC with so so records, but seemed to drive and shift very well with right at 100k miles. Paint appears original but interior is somewhat worn with dash curling in corners and seat leather drying - and what is the absolute max a pristinge SC would be worth? This example is far from pristine but the owner is asking 16-17 ish. No objection to a PPI but will probably pass. Thanks in advance, and I have purchased Peter Z. book and read it...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd personally keep looking for a Carrera in that price range. The change in engine from '83 to '84 is big in my book. It's not at all uncommon to go across state lines to find the right car.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Better buy a nice SC than a crappy Carrera ... the guy who does your PPI is key. you want a guy who lives and breathes this car .. it will be worth it . Kep in mind however they are human and can miss stuff , you want a good checklist of things checked .. not a "going over" .

SC or Carrera may depend on your price point and prices are all over the map there days .. go look around to see what cars are woerth in your area.

John is on here often and is from NC . he always finds the gems and could give you a good idea of what things are worth in your neck of the woods.

good luck
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

..oops i beter clrify that .. the CArrera is a very nice car .. but if for the same money you can buy a nice SC or a rough Carrera .. go for the nice SC ... but the nicest car you can find in your price range ...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you say "far from pristine" the typical 911 owner usually cringes. It may take a year or so to find the right 911.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll find a PPI charge at less than 1 hr labor. Don't find the cheapest PPI. You want the best quality one you can find. Good luck. My advice is to lump them all together and pick the best one found without respect to SC or Carrera.

Brett
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Any more details on the SC.
That price is at the upper end of the SC value.

Where in NC are you located?

84 Carrera in really nice shape with half the mileage

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/1527392297.html

Always have an independent shop perform the PPI and I would ask to have the valve covers removed to check for broken studs and worn valver guides.

Don't rush, spring is coming (in a few weeks for us NC folks) and many more will appear on the market

John
Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

John " the mole" digs up more cars ....
Old 12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have a shop saying they can do a PPI on a 911 in 1 hour, look for another. There are untold shops that say "they are familiar with 911's", but they're the ones that stick a floor jack under the oil lines and start jacking the car up.

You could do it in stages; if a car passes a basic scrutiny, then you go deeper. This may allow you to consider a couple of candidates at once. A PPI can be $200 on the low end to $400 or more depending on how thorough, and you should want to know things like compression and leakdown, what doesn't work, any previous accident damage, and past sins or jury-rigging or botched repairs, any pending expenditures on the horizon (brakes, , shocks/bushings, ignition components, wheel bearings, valve adjust, etc). They are an investment in your future, particularly if you're new to the breed.

You've got Pete's book, now look at the sticky note at the top of this Forum page for his discussion on PPI.

Ice is right, a good SC will be better in the long run than a crummy Carrera, but if all things were equal, then......
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
k6cdxwjl
3rd Gear

Thanks to all for the advice. I thought one hour was not enough for a detailed look, as for this SC, I will pass and keep looking. It was owned at least 10 years by current owner, but not really a "car" person as far as I can tell from the minimum of service records, or just minimum work done. Price seemed high for the lack of records. But appeared mostly original, Fuchs, and paint would clean up nice (silver/black) but interior was worn/faded, carpet/dash, seats, and interior panels. Loose, curling carpet pieces, no rust visible. Odd that two 1/4" bolts 6" apart through floor in left rear footwell protrude through floorpan but don't connect to anything(plugging holes for ?)Garage kept now but probably not for the first 15 +/- years. No major leaks underneath, slightly wet underneath, some drops on garage floor. And shifted into all gears easily (but floppy shifter)
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
John
Now that is a nice looking car.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:40 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are not comfortable, pass.

Before I purchased my Targa I looked at about 15 and called about 30 more but did not look at them in person after speaking to the seller.

John
Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GothingNC

John
Why do the wheels on that car look odd to me? First there is a lot of clearance between rubber and fender. Rally anyone? Then, the profile of the outer rim is odd. Pictures may lie, but it doesn't like my 16x7's and 8's. Are they 15's?

No biggie, but is that the correct steering wheel for 84 Carreras? Was the SC wheel carried over for a year?

Brett
Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering wheel, not correct, but a lot of guys like them.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 AM
joey c
Pro

Default 87 911

i am in nc..north durham..i might want to sell my 911..contact me if you want..caldomusic@mac.com

Quick Reply: Newby help/advice SC or carrerra buy