Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 911 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 911 S

One popped up for sale near me. One family owned since the beginning. Looks like a great little car for the money he is asking.

I want to hear your thoughts on the motor though. the reactors are gone, the air pump is there but disconnected. It has an 11 blade fan. The motor has never been rebuilt and has 158K miles. From what I've read this is a miracle. Or is it? I know the mechanic who has worked on the car for the last 3 years and fully trust him. Recent service includes new sump plate and gaskets, oil return tubs, valve covers and gaskets, alternator, plugs, belts, valve adjustment and I think the distributor was upgraded to get rid of the points and an 11 blade fan was added. AC (not sure if it is factory) has all new hoses and compressor and works.

So my question: Is this motor nearing the end of its life? If I do a DE event in it would that be pushing things?

Lets hear your thoughts.

For everyone that loves pics they are attached. Aside from the AC and sunroof it is a light car. No power windows, no cruise, the passenger mirror was never there, sport seats and it doesn't have fog lights or spoilers.
Attached Images     

Last edited by kevjandon; 12-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 2.7 pulling a/c is a tuff environment for an older fragile motor. I myself like a 2.7 and if the price is right you can have a lot of fun. If it is a good car go for it. Do a DE in it and see what happens - keep an eye on oil temp. Meanwhile keep your eyes peeled for a good 3.0 for transplant.
Great deals can be found on the 2.7 cars and there are a fair number of good 3.0 SC motors around. The mid 70s cars were light(74 was still light at least) and a well tuned 3.0 can make for a great performer without breaking the bank.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Originally Posted by whalebird
there are a fair number of good 3.0 SC motors around. The mid 70s cars were light(74 was still light at least) and a well tuned 3.0 can make for a great performer without breaking the bank.
I was kind of thinking the same thing but with a 3.2. Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it all depends on two things:

1) How much is he asking?

2) Do you like wrenching on cars?

It looks like a really nice clean original car. If the price is too good to pass up just drive and enjoy it until the 2.7 gives up.

Putting a 3.2 in the car is always an option but of course you lose the originality. If you want a middie with a 3.2 just buy one that's already done. There are two for sale on Pelican right now that look very nice and are in the $13K range I think.

I have a 77 with 3.2 and it's a quick, light car that's very fun to drive. It's a great car but I doubt I could get my money back out of it.

The car you're looking at with almost 160k on the original 2.7 isn't going to have much of a future especially if you start tracking it. So are you looking for a "project" car?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that is a lovely car. A 3.2 is a more involved conversion, but not by much. Again...the price should be right. I would seriously check it out - tons of potential. I said before that I like 2.7. If they are tuned right, it is a really free revving motor that pulls strong.
I do like that car.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
kevjandon
Racer

The ad had the car at 14.5.

He said he would take 12K.

I was supposed to see it today, but the weather sucks here today. The one damn day a year it rains in the desert.

Is getting it for 12K stealing it?????
Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

$12K is way too much for a '76 2.7 with that kind of mileage. That is no steal. You can find an SC or Carrera for close to that money in this economy.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

2nd vote of too much $. With a 3.0 it might bring $12k, and still too much $.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

$12k is definitely not a "steal" but I also wouldn't say it's "way too much". If this car is as nice as it looks it could easily be worth $12K. It just depends on how original and unmolested the car is. There's plenty of crap cars out there for "cheap" but we all know what it costs to bring one back from the dead.

Based on the pictures the interior and body appear to be in excellent shape. It is very difficult to find a 34 yr old car that has been owned by one family and properly serviced (with records), not wrecked, repainted, modified, etc.

Ed makes a good point that you are close to SC money at $12k but I doubt you could find an original excellent condition SC for that price.

So it all depends on how nice the car really is and what you want to do with it. If it's as nice as it looks I would be tempted to just drive it and refresh the 2.7 when the time comes. The middies get no respect now but as the years click by any stock, original, excellent 911 will go up in value. Just look at the longhoods. It wasn't long ago you could pick those up all day long for 6 to 8 k. Or the 356! Have you checked the prices on nice bathtubs lately?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree it is in nice conditon, but I still stand by my statement.

I'll bet you can find an SC for $2-3K more that is in real nice shape. It will take a lot more than that to rehab this motor, which will get into really nice Carrera territory, again going back to the mileage and the fact its a 2.7..
Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

If that's the car you want for 12K I'd buy if it passes a PPI. If you are going to take that car and build something else out of it go buy the something already built, you'll be many $$ ahead.
Phil
Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
If that's the car you want for 12K I'd buy if it passes a PPI. If you are going to take that car and build something else out of it go buy the something already built, you'll be many $$ ahead.
Phil
Agreed. See my above post about the 3.2 modded middies for sale on Pelican. They look to be as nice as this car but with 3.2 already installed.

If you want a nice stock 76 this could be your car. But for $12k it's probably not a good starting point for a project car.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
kevjandon
Racer

Well the guy didn't get back with me today.

As for the price, I was originally thinking 10K. Then I got the pics and the car seems to present well.

Remeber, this car is a local car too. No shipping and no flying to go see it either. Plus I know the mechanic personally and he walked me through the last $5K of reciepts from the last 4 years.

There is probably a great SC out there in CA, or somewhere else but they come with expenses that have to be considered too. For now the guy seems to have disappeared off the planet so who knows. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Don't know a lot about prices in the USA but the guys have it right - if you WANT a genuine, original 911 to keep and are prepared to have the engine rebuilt sometime in the future then go for it - your thread suggests you really want a fun trackday project car in which case go elsewhere, spend less and leave this car for someone who wants such a car.

PJC
Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
kevjandon
Racer

No worries. The seller emailed me this am and says he sold the car. I hope the buyer backs out on him.

Time to keep looking.

Quick Reply: 1976 911 S