Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice on driving on a wet track

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on driving on a wet track

Taking the P-car to Buttonwillow, CA this Sunday. It might rain, so any advice driving this 1986 Targa on a wet track? Change tire pressure? Bring a REALLY big umbrella?

Marlon
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Best advice? Skip that session!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to be passing through Kettleman City. With any luck, I won't even get out of my car. It's going to be colder than a *****....and rainy too.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Originally Posted by bgiere
Best advice? Skip that session!
30% chance of rain. So, I'll go and if the track is dry, I'll drive. Otherwise I'll skip it like you said.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

not worth your car .. and if you insist on going . take an instructor ..... a good one .. not a cowboy..
Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Just go at 5/10's - slow the fuch down. Great environment to learn the true line, and smoothness.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Just go at 5/10's - slow the fuch down.
English Doc... English

5/10, slowing what down? Forgive my noob-ness.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Jaws911
Pro

I post this with trepidation and humility, since i am not a "track rat" in either seat time or skills. But I have taken my (very stock '86 cabrio) to the track and have not let the weather stop me, on the theory that I am there to develop skills and experience -and that sometime I might find myself actually driving my car in the wet, and would rather get an idea of the limits in the safer , non traffic environment of an instructed track day.

Short story - both the car and I did fine, and i would do it again in a heart beat.

just my $.02, if that much. YMMV
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry - I'll try and be more specific.

Be more controlled and go slower in the rain. No need to be a hero, no need to keep up. Be more aware of the cars around you - stay in the line.

Driving in the rain is a great way to learn vehicle dynamics - just do it at slower speeds and you will be fine. If you are a green student = your instructor should be able to direct you.

Driving in the rain helps you smooth your transitions from braking to acceleration - acceleration to braking, Turn in, etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Sorry - I'll try and be more specific.

Be more controlled and go slower in the rain. No need to be a hero, no need to keep up. Be more aware of the cars around you - stay in the line.

Driving in the rain is a great way to learn vehicle dynamics - just do it at slower speeds and you will be fine. If you are a green student = your instructor should be able to direct you.

Driving in the rain helps you smooth your transitions from braking to acceleration - acceleration to braking, Turn in, etc.
Ah. Great advice! Thank you!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

What Jeremy said. You'll learn smoothness in a hurry in the wet. This is an awesome opportunity to truly learn some of your vehicle dynamics and car control.

You'll also find how good your tires are in the rain. I've run about 3 trackdays in the rain. Some cheap Yokos that were on my car when I got it were horrible! I've since run Goodyear F1GSD3's and they were awesome as were Yoko Advan Neovas.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

As others have said slow down and work on being smooth. Driving in the rain will magnify any small mistakes you are making. It can be a great learning experience.

Also, you may want to find a good instructor who can show the rain line and take him out with you.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

A few rain tips:

1) Set tire pressures to your target hot pressures - on street tires that means around 36F 38R. If the track is just damp, use a few pounds less. A wet track means that you won't get any (much - depending on how wet) heat in your tires and you compensate for it.

2) Smooth and very progressive inputs apply the throttle gently and very progressively. Same thing for the brakes gently on the brakes and very gently off, let the car regain its balance before turning in.

3) Brake only in a straight line. Trail braking is a fine technique but more risky in the wet.

4) Adjust your braking points - brake earlier!

5) Remember that on a wet track you lose about 30 percent of your braking, 50 percent of your traction (acceleration) and almost 70 percent of your cornering ability!

7) If you are handy with a wrench, disconnect one end of your sway bars, front and rear. More body roll will provide more grip in the wet.

8) Consider using one gear higher than you would on a dry track - so if you normally use 2nd exiting a corner, do it in 3rd to make it easy to manage torque and resulting oversteer problems.

9) be prepared to adjust your line to avoid standing water. Be wary of any run off crossing the track especially on the straights.

As others have said, driving in the rain is a great learning experience since it exaggerates everything about car dynamics.

I also endorse all the advice given above except not going because it is wet.

Best,
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 I've never skipped a session because of rain. It gives you a different perspective/experience all together. Learn the 'rain line' and have fun, just drive as the conditions permit. You have to be very aware of the folks around you as well as there will no doubt be people not as cautious as you.....
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Driving in the rain is fun if you're on street tires. I was surprised at how much grip they have in the wet, so it was a great learning experience. I had quite a bit of grip with some Kumho Victoracers with hardly any tread too but not so with my current RA1s.

Quick Reply: Advice on driving on a wet track