Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

73 911 Problems - not good... Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Glenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 73 911 Problems - not good... Advice needed

Driving to work this morning in my 73 911T Targa, turned out to be a heart breaking experience.

I was doing maybe 40 miles an hour coming up a hill and had a sudden/abrupt loss of power and revs. Pulled to the side and shut it down.

Looked underneath - no oil at all. Oil level was fine.
I started it again (no problem) and it idles OK , but I can't get anything more than 1500 rpm and zero power at all. Looks to be blowing a bit of smoke too.

Could it be timing belt, oxygen sensor, etc.

Had it towed to my mechanic, but I'm just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable.
Thanks Glenn
Old 08-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's tough one. Sure you arent out of gas? O2 sensors started in 1980 (I think) and you have a timing chain, not a belt. Was there any noise when it happened? Metallic sound? Backfire? You said no power above 1500 rpm, what about in neutral, same thing? The smoke could mean a lot of things, I wish you the best.

You could guess all day, but a compression is one of the first things to check. Then you at least have a starting point to diagnose the problem.

Good luck
Old 08-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of intake do you have? MFI, CIS, Carbs?

In addition to the question Chris asked, what does the smoke look like? Color and density.

If the idle is smooth, relax. Sounds like an ignition or fuel issue.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Glenn
Racer

Thanks for the comments. I thought it might be a fuel problem too.

No weird noises from the motor - but there is a definite oil smell to the smoke. Not out of gas - filled it a couple days ago. Did add a can of carb cleaner though at the same time.

Still haven't heard from my mechanic - still worried, but the comments are helping - keep them coming.
Thanks Glenn
Old 08-08-2002, 01:57 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glenn,
I also have a 1973 911T Targa. I have the 2.4L MFI motor. I experienced the exact same problems you had. In my case the fuel pickup in the tank was clogged with crap. Some got through and clogged the filter. The car, when it would run, would run for a bit then loose power, RPM and then just die. After sitting awhile it would restart then shortly die. You could pul your sender on top of the tank and look inside to see if the pick up is clogged / blocked. Make sure the area is well ventilated with no open flames.
My car would idle, but when the gas pedal was depressed the fuel required would not keep up with the fuel demand and ... no power no RPMs and then the engine would die.
Good luck,
Scott Harris
1973 911T Targa
2.4L MFI
Old 08-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Glenn
Racer

Red face

Just heard from my guy, he thinks its my timing chains that have jumped their guides. He going to take off the cover and see what damage has been done. Doesn't think any damage has been done because the car idles fine.

Will let you know what the outcome is.
Thanks Glenn
Old 08-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glenn, I think you need to start looking for a new mechanic. I doubt that your "timing chains have jumped their guides." The only way they could have done this would be if your chain tensioners collapsed. If that had happened you would have heard two things, first a noise that sounds like a chain being dragged over the top of a steel trash can. The next sound would have been a very loud knocking noise as the valves hit the pistons and bent. And your car sure as hell would not be idling ok.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:27 PM
James Achard
Pro

Glenn, I had the same thing happen on my '72 E MFI. It ended up being the warm up regulator on the MFI pump. This had become clogged over time and therefore was getting stuck. I pulled it apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner and it's be fine since. Also check that the hose from the exhaust running to the warm up regulator is intact etc. Let us know if this helps. I had the same symptoms as you did so this is woth a shot.

Cheers, James
Old 08-08-2002, 06:06 PM
pbs911
Instructor

I'm with Kurt V. Get a new mechanic. Sounds like a fuel system problem. Perhaps the carb cleaner gummed up something.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I agree with it being a fuel problem.Your car should have mechanical fuel injection unless it was converted to Webbers.If it has MFI don't put carb cleaner in it.I had a 71 T and the tensioners
started to go and you know if it happens,the engine makes some pretty scary noises.Good luck and don't think the worst.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:25 PM
7D911T
2nd Gear

Talking

I had the same problem with my 70 T. The main source of my dilema was a clogged fuel line. It seems that when you press on the pedal the car boggs down and leans out. If I let the car sit, the line pressure would fill the carbs and the car would run for awhile again. Then it would bogg down and die. Check your filters and fuel pump! Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:49 PM
James Achard
Pro

All, I'm sorry for the confusion regarding the carb cleaner. I just use it to clean out the warm up regulator/ richening valve that hangs off the back of the MFI pump. On mine it was clogged with all kinds of stuff from the exhaust. Best of luck with getting your car running again.

Cheers, James
Old 08-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Glenn
Racer

Talking

Thank you everyone for your comments/reassurances, etc. I went to see my mechanic on Friday. He confirmed as most of you already said, that nothing was wrong with the timing chains.

Also, as most of you have said, it looks to be a fuel problem. He's told me that the fuel pump belt(?) had jumped - as a result of a rod inside the pump having seized. Thus, the reason that I can't get anymore rpm's - no fuel. He thinks he can get it "un-stuck".

Again - thanks. Every time I go through something like this I learn a bit more about my "P" car - and myself
Old 08-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glenn, let me say this one more time GET A NEW MECHANIC. The one you have doesn't know squat about early 911's. Yes your MFI belt may have jumped a tooth. This will not cause any "pump rod" to seize. All it means is that the injectors will not be properly timed, which means the injectors will not squirt fuel at the right time. If this is the problem (and if the belt is worn enough, it could be) the fix is one belt (less than $20) and the labor for installing and retiming the MFI pump (should be less than 2 hours. If the guy has ever changed a MFI belt before should be less than 1 hour). But the bottom line is GET A NEW MECHANIC!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Mein 14
Advanced

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a bad CD unit. It behaved like a fuel supply problem, but ended up being the CD box in the end.

Also, please take the others' advice and find a new mechanic. Trust me, a 30 year old 911 requires clear thinking or lots of experience, and probably, ideally, both. It sounds like your mechanic is FOS.

Quick Reply: 73 911 Problems - not good... Advice needed