Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

73 911 Problems - not good... Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 06:36 PM
Glenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm starting to get confused with my guy. He told me it was the fuel pump - I ordered one from Vertex. Just before I was to have FedEx pick it up, I get a call from my mechanic telling me that the price is way too low and that I must be ordering the wrong part.

Now its the mechanical fuel injection pump (MFI) that needs to be rebuilt. I checked with Vertex - $800US to rebuild one.

He comes pretty highly regarded from some PCA guys - so I trust him. I did read that when a pump starts to go the engine tends to run very rich. It has for the past couple months been running rich. So the symptom does seem to point in the right direction of the MFI pump.

This has gone from a couple hundred bucks to over a grand in a matter of hours. There goes the new exhaust. I've contemplated switching to Weber's over the past couple years - I guess now would be the time if I was going to.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know as the saga continues.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:25 AM
abduln
Instructor

I certainly hope that your mechanic didn't charge you the labour for tearing the TC covers off, if he did get a refund on that. I don't even know anything about 911's and I could tell it was most likely a fuel delivery problem.

Good luck.
Abdul
Old 08-14-2002, 02:42 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Seems like the mechanic has a problem explaining or organize things. That doesn´t say he is a bad mechanic. It just says he seems not to be comunicative or a salestalker.
Its always better to have a mechanic wrenching with there hands rather then with there mouth

Its very hard to justify the mechanic by Glenn´s posts as Gleen doesn´t seem to know enough about the problem and also couldn´t ask the right questions to find out if the mechanic outclosed all the other problems shown here.

But if Glenn keeps reding MFI relatet stuff on the bulletin boards and tech sections things can get more informative.

grüsse
Old 08-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glenn just stick with that mechanic and you will truly get what you deserve. You and him definitely fit the saying, "the blind leading the blind."
Old 08-14-2002, 07:23 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glenn sorry for the snide comment I just made, but damn man you need to get another mechanic. Obviously he doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to an MFI system. I don't care who recommended him. The MFI pump does not "just go out" They wear out very slowly and do not just lose power. Please, please, please, for your sake and my sanity, get another mechanic.

Quick Reply: 73 911 Problems - not good... Advice needed