Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Small Rust Spot

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 PM
RSWiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Rust Spot

While working on my 80SC this weekend I found a small amount of rust right under the spare tire. About 1 1/2" X 10 where the gas tank attaches. Looks like a pretty easy piece to fabricate. Is there a reasonably priced piece available without replacing the whole front end.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some guys here who are totally fantastic on this subject. If you can get a picture and post it, you won't be sorry.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

What rusnak said. I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a small spot may be the tip of the iceberg. I did a spot repair a while back, posted on Pelican, which still gnaws at me. And there is another post on here with a complete replacement, which is the proper repair if we're talking the same issue.

There is a N. American source for replacement pieces: http://www.restoration-design.com/
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 AM
RSWiser
Advanced

Ed,
Thanks for the link. On the 911 Chassis it is part number 3. For that price I will order from them. I won't need the entire piece but I can at least cut out the bad section and weld in the new.

Great, that will speed up the process.

Rob
80 SC
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 AM
scufliflu
1st Gear

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Rob,

That item 3 is the fuel tank support, which is visible from the top side (i.e. in the trunk) and, as you say, part of it is covered by the spare tire.

It is unusual for that particular part to rust on its own. The normal culprit for rust in that area of the car is battery acid spills. You will want to confirm whether the rust has affected the suspension pan, which is the larger piece of sheet metal that the fuel tank support is welded to. The void between the suspension pan and the fuel tank support is the key area. If you cut out a section of the fuel tank support, you will see this area.

However, it is important to determine WHY the rust is there in the first place. If it is due to a battery acid leak, then you need to check out the hidden parts behind/under the longitudinals, battery tray, fuel tank support and suspension pan.

I had to replace the suspension pan. My thread has some photos that may help you identify areas to look at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-surprise.html

Post pics if you can...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM
RSWiser
Advanced

Wow!
Awesome job. I see what you mean about the hidden rust. I will have to get it into my shop and dig into it. However that will have to wait until spring my 1962 Sunbeam Alpine is in my shop at the moment. Hopefully I will get it done this winter and then I can get after this rust. I will do further investigating and order the sheet metal as soon as possible.

Thanks, I made copies of all you work to print and take to my shop when the project begins.

Rob

Quick Reply: Small Rust Spot