Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'79 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default '79 911?

That was the first year for the 3.0, correct? I haven't owned a 911 since 1997, and I've forgotten most of what I knew about the earlier cars.

Can anyone remind me of the possible issues these cars have? I may be picking one up today.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first year was 1978 for the 3.0L. The issues:

POP off valve for the airbox
Hydraulic tensioners for the cam chains
rubber center clutch breaking/falling apart

By now all things should be corrected
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ricster nailed it, but let me clarify on his points:

POP off valve for the airbox - It needs one installed, not there from the factory.
Hydraulic tensioners for the cam chains - It needs them installed, not there from the factory.
rubber center clutch breaking/falling apart - oem install, 99.9% have been replaced with carrera spring center units by now.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

I have a few comments ( so what's new right ? ) since i own a 78 3.0 litre.

This car has been bullet proof, The tensioner commnets are spot on , and although they do get debated time to time I think the money is with upgrading ot hydraulic if it has not already been upgraded.
The pop off valve .. i do not have one , never needed one . never will have one .. I am definitely in the minority here . if the prospective car does NOT have one. I think you can assume it is in VERY good tune , near prefect , because deviation from perfect will cause some popping in the intake .. and belive it or not the pop off itself can cause starting issues. So if it does not have one, it is actualy better news than if it does.

The rubber centre clutch is a non issue by now because not many people put them back in .

head studs .. have it inspected and make sure they are all there.. They can break on the SC and although it is possible to have one break and not notice .. definitely have that checked.

These are about the ONLY issues on that car . over all the car is a rock if it has been well maintained and not turned into a fireball by the owner ....
of course get a thorugh PPi and I think you will not be dissapaointed ... not much power compared to a 993 but still a blast to drive ..

Last edited by theiceman; 10-26-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Those both sum it up^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ice - good call on the head studs. They seem to be breaking or being discovered more and more lately. As for the pop off valve it only 'creates' issue if it's not installed properly (vacuum leaks). The problem with not having one is once she decides to blow, you're screwed. You get no warning and for $30 bucks.... it's a no brainer...... $30 now or $800 later.....

The chain tensioner alternative is the 'Hydra-stops' $30 collars that keep weak tensioners from collapsing completely. easy and cheap. just like the PoV
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Rod.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a relatively new '79 owner (only since April '09) but with the right upgrades and expectations from the owner, it's a great car! And incredible value for what's now a 30 year old car (which is why the right driver expectations are required to appreciate it).

YMMV,
Rod.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks for the tips, but I was the second responder to the ad, and missed it.

Local guy had a '79 project car with two year old paint for sale for $3K. The car was disassembled for paint, and was left to sit in a garage for two years. Must have been a deal, because the only guy that beat me to it took it home. The seller said that it still ran, but had developed an erratic idle after sitting for two years.

Oh well - can't win them all.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

well considering you could sell the engine for about 5G min and it was already out of the car I would say that it was a great money making deal ..
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
white99c2
Racer

Default My labor of LOVE

My '79 SC with 72K miles on it had the head bolts, the top end redone, a rebuilt transmission and a clutch all at 60K miles in 2002 by the PO. I got the car this June with 67K miles on it after it sat for years as a garage queen. I was hit with a flurry of little problems mostly electrical (little shorts here and there), AC not charged and shifting problems.
After giving it a complete tune up with new ignition wires plugs, cap, rotor and plugs, it ran great. This and that stopped working all caused by dried out wiring, replaced it as it happened and thats behind me. The AC... that was a challenge to get cold, use R12, make sure the front condenser fan is working and add a rear condenser fan under the engine lid. My AC will knock off 45 to 50 degrees compared to the outdoor temp, good not great. Upgrade the headlight sealed beams to Silver Stars and you'll actually be able to see where your driving at night. Replace every bulb in the dash gauges with the same but new and holy cow they do light up. Buy spray on original interior color vinyl and carpet dye from World Upholstery http://www.worlduph.com/hubpagePORSCHE.htm and restore the color of your interior for an exact match. I replaced the shift coupler bushing, the shifter bushing and the shift rod bushing then replaced the gear oil in the transmission with Swepco and the transmission shifts like a new '79 all over again (note the new '79 in there, its not a short shift by any stretch of the imagination). I replaced the stereo with a nice Pioneer that has an iPod controller and cable that goes into the glove box, replaced all of the speakers and added a little skinny JVC (SCBB2) under seat (fits under passenger front seat) Sub Woofer to just add a touch of bass and it sounds really good.
There were other things along the way but all minor and mostly elective like a new antenna, re-finishing the Fuschs, a new dash pad, the lack of rear seat belts, new floor mats, a new windshield, new fog light glass and other things that my bank account would care to forget. Here are some pictures of my 1979 Porsche 911 SC in Cashmere Beige with Cork Interior.
It is no longer a Garage Queen. I got rid of my other car and this is the only car I own. I drive it every day and have a motorcycle as a backup. It runs fantastic and I love it. I say I will never sell it...we shall see.
Attached Images      
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

That is a beautiful SC. I too re-dyed my leather and put new carpet in and it the exact same scheme you have: Cork with black upper bits...

Great car and with the work done on it, it should be rock solid for a very long time.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Larry, the guy that got the car was a conservative.

Actually, It didn't really happen.

It was a plot hatched and executed by the RLOT P&C forum just to drive you nuts.

Sorry, someone had to tell.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Larry, the guy that got the car was a conservative.

Actually, It didn't really happen.

It was a plot hatched and executed by the RLOT P&C forum just to drive you nuts.

Sorry, someone had to tell.
Aw, man, you ruin everything! Now I have to put my book away, you know, the one with all those republican cooties in it. It was slated to be shipped to Amazon.com for resale to Larry in case he really wanted to know something about air-cooled cars. COOTIES! YIKES, RUN!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
elayne bray
Track Day

Larry, Larry, Larry, Even I was in on it.

Quick Reply: '79 911?