Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

back in the porsche saddle again

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the plugs and listen up, JoAnne! Your first assignment is to remove those black, with yellow thread, fresh air hoses! They are not designed for that use, and they look all wrong. Get a pair of "real" hoses, put them on, and make the engine compartment look like a "real" 911. Cheers!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

What are they designed for?

Oh and get better soon. Flu is no fun.........
Old 10-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

They're a cheapo, generic "heater hose" that some VW crossover guy decided to use in place of the very expensive heater hoses that connect heat exchangers to heater boxes under the car. Then they started showing up in places like on your car, with funky, super-ugly hose clamps to boot. Basically, this is a little trick used by some shops to put a $6.00 length of hose in the place of a $40+ red hose under the car, and an $8 piece of hose in place of the special, $30 metal-lined paper hoses that should be on your car (in the engine compartment). I've looked at some invoices and the shop didn't charge for the cheapo hose, they looked up the part numbers and frequently charged the big bucks for P-car hoses. Shame, shame.

Sorry I don't have more accurate pricing for you, it's been about 10 years since I sold my shop, and we only used the black/yellow hose in some 914 applications. I can't remember what the red hoses or the lined, gray paper hoses, cost, but I'm sure a quick call to your dealer will enlighten you. I'll bet you that you don't have "red" hoses under the car either.

My '69 car...
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I warned you both.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"forda peesa deesa long.....eighty dollars". I was actually told that once when I inquired about the orange factory flex hose on the 911.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I warned you both.
Ah we are fine. I can handle Pete. He's easy.

Thanks for the Info Pete. I sorta like the look of the black/yellow hose, but if they are chepo, then we should replace it with the better stuff before we start tearing into the interior. Wednesday the car is going to the mechanic. He's not Pete or Tony Callas, but were were pretty impressed with his shop and the caliber of cars he has in it.

We won't be getting PMO's either. If it were a true Clone of an RS then it would have carbs. We ALMOST bought a clone and by the time we decided to pull the trigger, someone else beat us to it. This is more of a tribute car. It has the looks of the early car with a newer engine. We've had many 356's with Solex or Weber carbs. and the '66 911 was a PITA to keep tuned with it's 6 one barrel Solex's. So you can say been there, done that, and this time we don't have to do it again. Now if it were the real thing.... < I'm drooling>, we could nearly buy a house here for the price of one of those. lol

BTW: I think you guys are cool. Thanks for putting up with me. I'd drive Robert crazy if I'd always be asking him all these Porsche questions all the time, although I think he does get a kick out of it once in a while.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
"forda peesa deesa long.....eighty dollars". I was actually told that once when I inquired about the orange factory flex hose on the 911.
The orange/red hoses have amazing heat resistance; another perfect example why Porsche parts are better/best than the stuff installed by people who try to re-invent the car.

Originally Posted by RJT
Ah we are fine. I can handle Pete. He's easy.

Cute, Very cute...

Thanks for the Info Pete. I sorta like the look of the black/yellow hose, but if they are chepo, then we should replace it with the better stuff before we start tearing into the interior. Wednesday the car is going to the mechanic. He's not Pete or Tony Callas, but were were pretty impressed with his shop and the caliber of cars he has in it.

We won't be getting PMO's either. If it were a true Clone of an RS then it would have carbs. We ALMOST bought a clone and by the time we decided to pull the trigger, someone else beat us to it. This is more of a tribute car. It has the looks of the early car with a newer engine. We've had many 356's with Solex or Weber carbs. and the '66 911 was a PITA to keep tuned with it's 6 one barrel Solex's. So you can say been there, done that, and this time we don't have to do it again. Now if it were the real thing.... < I'm drooling>, we could nearly buy a house here for the price of one of those. lol

BTW: I think you guys are cool. Thanks for putting up with me. I'd drive Robert crazy if I'd always be asking him all these Porsche questions all the time, although I think he does get a kick out of it once in a while.
Those hoses are a little harder to put on than they appear; kinda pre-bend them a little and stretch them to an approximate length before the install. When you order them get 4 new hose clamps also, loosen the clamps so they easily slip over the hose, and let them "float" on the hose during the install. Arrange the clamps so the clamp heads will end up where the clamps in my above photo are, that way the install will look "factory" when you're done.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You though that that was cute huh? Just wait....

Thanks!

I think we replaced the ones in our old '74 911 when we had it with orangey colored ones. That was a fun car. It was rebuilt correctly and we got 9 years of enjoyment out of it before we sold it. That is the only car I remember Robert having a tear in his eye as he watched it drive away.

BTW: How ya feeling??? Fever gone?

Quick Reply: back in the porsche saddle again