Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator Fan Housing ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasbury
Just another data point on the Vertex housing. I bought one to replace my cracked original. I really didn't have to do much in the way of fitment. I found that the machined opening where the alternator slips in was a bit too tight for my liking (the fit of the alt in factory housing is also quite tight in my experience). I simply used my dremel with a small sanding drum attachment to get a little more clearance (or rather a little less interference). Spent maybe 15min on this, otherwise it was a bolt in for me.

Nice work Jwasbury! Well, as I stated that not everyone may have had the same issues as I did. So, it's possible that some VTX housing may come a bit cleaner than others. So adjustments will be minimal. I wish I would have spent 15 mins! It is all a learning experience, plus I like a challange!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kiwi01
lpsalasaman ... nice install ... sorry for the slow response I have been on vacation without access to the internet ... a true vacation.

just my $0.02 ... I found I only had to do some minor filing, more like finish work for the casting. I was able to use an SC for reference on the fitment. I spent most of effort on aligning the alternator, making sure it did not bind, spun freely and the blades on the fan did not make contact with the new housing.

I put over 1500 miles on the car before I sold it . I made sure the new owner was aware of everything I had worked on. He is a tinkerer (sp?) and has owned 911 before. He drops me a line every now and then to let me know where he has driven or what he has worked on.

Last comment ... I found the Conti belts "stiffer" than the OE Porsche belts. The OE belts fit better around small radius the pulley. I used the Conti belts for backup. I am not sure it makes much difference just an observation.

Once again thanks to the this forum ... guys like Iceman, ED and Rusnak have been big help with suggestions and information.

Hey Kiwi! Sorry if I stole your thread man! Also glad you have had a nice real vacation! I need one of those soon! Anyway, thanks for your comments and as I suspected, not everyone will have issues. I think you might get a batch that the casting is somewhat off, and then you might get one that is pretty clean and will give little issues to the buyer. Anyway, that is too bad you sold the car, unless you are now in another one! It was an adventure for me, and the car is working fine now, no complaints at all so far. The next thing is the high torque starter which I have in a box right now. So more to come.
Take it easy!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

No problem ... I also added the starter ... it worked out fine. I needed to pull the electrical some to add length to the cables, but there was some slack already there. The install was a nice project ... gave me a chance to clean up some of the ground connections at the same time. Good luck with all of your projects.

I now have a 95 911 ... not as easy to work on and it is a little more "civilized". I do miss the 85 but it went to a great guy who really appreciates it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Wow a 95! I'm sure you pay a pretty penny for it, since those models 93 through 98 are still demanding some dollars! Well, I hang to mine for now but I'm always looking for a deal to come up! What I really want is a Turbo body either Targa or Coupe, that would make my day for sure! Good luck to you too Bro!

Quick Reply: Alternator Fan Housing ...