Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator Fan Housing ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm still at it guys! I took some pics which I will post but even with some of the "fixes" I did, I still had to still tweek it when mounting mine back up. If you get a Vertex part and want to do the adjustments yourself, just get ready for some work. If you like me with a short fuse, then I guess it will be an adventure. Anyway, I hope to be done at some point this evening and hopefully I will post the done job.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It is pretty common for aftermarket parts to require fitment.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Ed I agree with you on that! However, there are some minor adjustments but I had to do a lot of adjustments. I think the part is not that bad, but I don't think after they have it built they fine tune it to make it fit at least closer. Well the good news is that I'm done and I took it out for a ride and it is nice. The lights are more brighter than before so the 90amps are doing their job. I will be posing the pics soon so you all can see. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:26 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if I should check mine on my 1986 50k mile car
Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Well guys as promised, here are some pics of my little adventure with the Vertex housing. I did not took any "before" pics since at the time I was trying to fix my original housing. However, after the machine shop told me that my housing was not able to take the welding I started to look for a replacement. Anyway, the summary is that I had to adjust the Vertex housing because it came in bigger on some areas on the outside and in the alternator area was too tight. After adjustments were made I then mounted it and all is back to normal. In the first pic is the housing, rough casting. The second shows some of my adjustments by sanding the top area. The third pic shows where the notch on the block is supposed to go. I had to move it in order to get things lined up correctly. I then painted the housing and the original fan and after adjusting where the alternator goes in, the back of the alternator went all the way like it is supposed to go. Then the last pics shows the housing mounted and my car.
Attached Images         
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be SOOO tempted to sand off "Vertex" in that second pic, which looks like the casting is a bit rough.

Nice job though! Nice looking paint!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Job well done! Paint job looks great.

Where are these made? Is that South Africa? They seem to have a "Huge" timing mark where the original only had a line.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rusnak
I would be SOOO tempted to sand off "Vertex" in that second pic, which looks like the casting is a bit rough.

Nice job though! Nice looking paint!
Thanks Rusnak! Yeah the casting is rough and although the part is painted with a type of grey or silver grey, you still see and feel it. I guess they don't fine tune the part after casting which I believe made the issues with adjustment. I guess it may not be the same for everyone, but I doubt that they come perfect at all. Kiwi here had to have his mechanic make adjustments to his before it was installed. So, I'm guessing he went through the same thing I did!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Job well done! Paint job looks great.

Where are these made? Is that South Africa? They seem to have a "Huge" timing mark where the original only had a line.
Thanks Psycho! I wish I could have powder coated, but I was more interested in getting the car back to running. So a good old fashion hand spray painting did the trick. As to the housing I think they are made in South America, not sure. Yeah the timing mark is not position all of that correctly and it is too big.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You may want to get a TDC position indicator to find out where real TDC is, and then make your own mark.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You may want to get a TDC position indicator to find out where real TDC is, and then make your own mark.
Thanks for reminding me, I thought about doing it when I finished but forgot! I was so tunneled vision about getting everything done and testing it, and forgot all about that! Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Giantman
Racer

Is there any chance that the fan shaft could have been bent during the highly imbalanced disintergration process? Just a thought...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a revival of an older thread. Kiwi's fan is non-op.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

Just another data point on the Vertex housing. I bought one to replace my cracked original. I really didn't have to do much in the way of fitment. I found that the machined opening where the alternator slips in was a bit too tight for my liking (the fit of the alt in factory housing is also quite tight in my experience). I simply used my dremel with a small sanding drum attachment to get a little more clearance (or rather a little less interference). Spent maybe 15min on this, otherwise it was a bolt in for me.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

lpsalasaman ... nice install ... sorry for the slow response I have been on vacation without access to the internet ... a true vacation.

just my $0.02 ... I found I only had to do some minor filing, more like finish work for the casting. I was able to use an SC for reference on the fitment. I spent most of effort on aligning the alternator, making sure it did not bind, spun freely and the blades on the fan did not make contact with the new housing.

I put over 1500 miles on the car before I sold it . I made sure the new owner was aware of everything I had worked on. He is a tinkerer (sp?) and has owned 911 before. He drops me a line every now and then to let me know where he has driven or what he has worked on.

Last comment ... I found the Conti belts "stiffer" than the OE Porsche belts. The OE belts fit better around small radius the pulley. I used the Conti belts for backup. I am not sure it makes much difference just an observation.

Once again thanks to the this forum ... guys like Iceman, ED and Rusnak have been big help with suggestions and information.

Quick Reply: Alternator Fan Housing ...