911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!

Just got my Russell Berry Chip. Impressed with the push-button options. No-start is a nice feature. 93 octane the best. 91 octane not much noticable difference than stock. Valet mode ok...only negative is that the car bucks at 3200 rpm. I had hoped it would just reach 3000 and "float" there. (I'm curious to hear if others get the same response or if it's just my car). In the end I'm happy...93 octane mode gives the car a noticably nicer pull from idle through redline.
Tom
Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

; ; ;
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

; ; [IMG]; [/IMG];
Old 09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

I cut a "mousehole" so the cable could run out of the box. I stuffed some foam around the cable for insulation and sealing.
Tom
Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine's enroute too, haven't been home to see if it's there. I hope to get it in this weekend
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where do you mount the switch? What do you do with the extra cable?

Thanks, I'm thinking about buying one even though I can't imagine using the 93 octane setting. I dunno, the novelty factor is cool on these things.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you guys know how many days I spent dealing with exhibition of speed due to that chip???

Just to guess on the "bucks at 3,200" would to me sound like a dirty rotor and cap. I found the chip to have the opposite effect.

(kids need ride to school or I'd get into more)

EDIT: Idiot alert.....I just re-read your post and see that it bucks on the rev-limiter on valet mode.

The real fun is staying just below the limiter while trying to keep up with Ed in the twisties. Some day, I tell you.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 09-03-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: re-read
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

I have had an Autothority chip and hotwire MAF for a number of years. when I installed it I could tell a different, especially around 4,000. due to probalby over oiling my K&N had been having some issues mainly at idle. used some MAF cleaner that helped, plan to try another round of cleaning.

I have a cat bypass and B&B muffler with stock headers.

that said, I hear a lot about this chip and the Steve Wong chip.

does any one have any knowledge/experience of going from the autothority chip to either the RB or SW chips, other than the control options?

is everyone using the stock flapdoor MAF with these chips? anyone have a hotwire MAF and use these chips.

thanks for the feedback, trying to decide if I want to change what I have.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

911tracker, do you have an updated DME? You first step is the 28 pin socket the later cars had. I believe the switch from 24 to 28 came with the MY '88 cars. (I sent a 28 pin chip to 911vet for her '87 and found out it wouldn't fit after she had it all apart....)

I have never driven an autothority chip'd car so I can't say on that. I have had my car set up with Russell's chip, a K&N filter, FabSpeed airbox cover, cat bypass, and copious octane and it was scarry fast to drive. Let's put it this way....My neck hurts the next day. My days of needing speed have passed and the bolt-ons are now on an Ohio track car where they should be,but you will never get this chip out of my car again.

I did try the Wong chip and found it awesome above 6,000. I even left 30 feet of positraction black on the street one night with it. for street where you actually run through the RPM's over and over the MAXHP really delivers a smooth hard hit all the way from 800 to the redline and beyond. If you live at the rev-limiter then go with the Wong, if you actually drive the car then the Russell chip is a must have. Anyway.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

thanks Doug,

last note I got from 911vet she thinks she is reaching the point of driving her car to its current limits. she has a couple more DE scheduled this year.

but due to schedule conflicts I am done for the year.

I suspect my car has original DME for 85. this car is more track oriented now, but occasionally drive on the street. SW awsome above 6,000? since I did not do anything to enable the engine to rev higher, I try to honor the 6300/6500 limit, but the chip appears to have the rev limiter at 7,000 as I think I touched it once. my challenge on the track is the engine just wants to keep pulling at redline with no complaints. I have seen a couple engines that were over reved and detonated, not a pretty sight (and expensive too). when on the track I try to keep the engine over 4,000 but it does not 'live' at redline.

project for this winter is the new ER custom valved shocks and maybe ER polybronze bushings, and definitely a new set of tires before next season.

starting to consder how to get a little more power out of my 3.2. (PS. it also has 964 cams) I am trying to get educated on the SW and RB chips, as my perf phase plan is developing into true headers, new chip, and extrude hone the intake.

PS. in case he did not see my post recently, Ed will be glad to know the front of my cage came out for street/top off driving the rest of the year.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by 911tracker85
thanks Doug,
PS. in case he did not see my post recently, Ed will be glad to know the front of my cage came out for street/top off driving the rest of the year.
For maximum performance get a hold of Ed's parts list and skill set. I've never been left behind by any other car quite so soundly as I was by the two of them.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I have seen a couple engines that were over reved and detonated, not a pretty sight (and expensive too). when on the track I try to keep the engine over 4,000 but it does not 'live' at redline.

Those probably weren't caused by hitting the rev limiter, but rather someone missing a shift and over-rev the engine mechanically thru the rear wheels.

Good news on the cage-you have to be a lot more comfortable!

Originally Posted by douglas bray
For maximum performance get a hold of Ed's parts list and skill set. I've never been left behind by any other car quite so soundly as I was by the two of them.
Doug, you embellish, although I do think Ruby and I make a good team.

I'm starting to crave a brisk run thru the hills, but time constraints have been a mother of late. I am set to go to Fontana a week from this Sunday, so I think I'll get my speed fix then.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Uno mas Chingadera:

Russell's chip will work in 24 pin sockets.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks Doug,

last note I got from 911vet she thinks she is reaching the point of driving her car to its current limits. she has a couple more DE scheduled this year.
I smell new T-bars, bushings, and sway bars in my near future. I'm in search of a 24-pin chip now.

I figure the suspension upgrades will allow me to handle the chip. And no matter what I do, I'll still have a low hp car... so getting around the track is all about momentum and fast out of the turn. I think getting rid of the body roll is my ticket to that.

Doug's contribution to my car were incredible. The cat bypass and Fabspeed airbox made the car come alive and I even had compliments on the way it sounds. That's with stock manifold and muffler.

I have another run at MidOhio (or Bluegrass??) this year as well as GingerMan in a couple of weeks. WOO HOO!! (911Tracker: I'm just rubbing it in)

I can't wait to join the ranks of all you with a new chip. I hear they are great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!