Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Righto... a properly accessorized woman with 6pt Schroths, HANS, SFI race suit, Piloti shoes, decals on my helmet !! At least I look fast"

Got me beat on all counts! I'm more of a T-shirt, jeans, Nikes and open-face helmet guy. I do have a DasSport waiting to be installed... and a set of camlock belts from one of TRG's cars. The rest of the car is pretty much ready.

"Dave, he only called you an Evangelist. He's mellowing out. I've been called worse."

Ha! Well, I've also gotten worse in the past. Actually had a threatening personal message from him on Pelican, which was part of why they banned him.

And to address the "evangelist" point - true enough! I tested 5 or 6 versions of Steve's chips before he went full retail with them. What a great guy, what a great product, and it's clear the same is true for Russell too. Not sure which chip I'll stay with, but at the price I thought I'd give Russell's a try.

I'm still waiting to see all the blown engines that Ms Loren predicted years ago.

Didn't mean to sidetrack this thread... carry on.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Righto... a properly accessorized woman with 6pt Schroths, HANS, SFI race suit, Piloti shoes, decals on my helmet !!

At least I look fast
ahh... the "it is better to look good than feel good daaaahling."

now that you have 'the look' I suspect the fast will follow shortly. unless you get too cocky and stuf the car into some imovable object. I truely hope you avoid that experience, but expect to hear a few more 'spin out' stories from you yet.

I need to order my RB chip/multiboard today. from all I read I susect it will be a good alternative for me. I want to replace my old Autothority chip/MAF that is acting up with my stock AFM. even though I track my 911, I do not live at redline. I like broad driveability in my car to >6k peak power. I don't spend much time at redline but a lot of time in the 4-6k range.

If I was pursuing racing license as Ed is, I'd want all the options I could get.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

just placed my order.

911vet knows I have had concern about my old Autothority chip/hotwire MAF.

so dug out the stock AFM to install with the RB multiboard. it will probably be at least a couple weeks before I get it installed and can reply with impressions.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am an unapologetic wuss in my 3.2 911.

That is to say, I drive 100% on the street and enjoy loading it down with dogs, a camera, a map, and sometimes a second person, and I like to head out on an adventure with my 911.

I wonder what the chip would do for me? I have what, two weeks to order one to find out. I think I'll go for it.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Rusnak,
it is always good to have 'the power', even if you do not abuse it.

I suspect if you do get one it will just enhance the pleasure you get from driving.

I still enjoy a top off excursion in my targa out into the countryside. for communting and longer trips, that is why I got the 928.

enjoy, I do.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I'll bet the 928 is much smoother, eh? I think it may help in passing situations and when I run the AC (I know, boring talk for you track types, sorry).
Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Dave: I don't like driving in jeans so I got the SFI pants. The rest of the time, I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl who doesn't wear fingernail polish but can often be found with grease under her nails But the Piloti shoes are absolute necessities 'cause my New Balance tennies hit the clutch and brake at the same time. Hmmm.... if I could only hit the brake and gas and do a heel-toe now.

Tracker: WOO HOO!! You got the chip. I think you'll enjoy the smooth powerband through the lower and mid range. I can imagine coming out of one of the slower turns and having a few more horses running. It sure feels good as I pull the curves on the street. I simply can't judge the upper rpms and will await my return to the track for that.

rusnak: You sir, have my admiration. Anyone who hauls a dog out for an adventure is an honorable man. My dog takes me all sorts of places in the Toyota Matrix. He's an 85lb husky and quite simply does not fit in the 911 (thank goodness). My cats, however, believe the cabriolet top is a splendid hammock and use it to sun themselves. Were I not a veterinarian I'd do something really bad to those cats
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
I wonder what the chip would do for me? I have what, two weeks to order one to find out. I think I'll go for it.
I suppose it depends on how you drive. 911s are not drag racing machines, but they are a lot of fun in the twisties... and there is where I appreciate the difference in performance with the chip.

On the road, I'm not one who runs 80mph on the straight and then slams on the brakes and slows through the turn so I can floor it again on the other side. When I go twisty terrorizing, I sort of play a game with myself where I try to maintain a mostly constant speed. In other words... don't slow down much for the turns and keep on the gas through them. Power out a bit on the turn out. It can be white-knuckle stuff where I live.

When I was doing that with the chip, I noticed a big difference. Lots of power and torque waiting on me when I wanted it. Really cool.

The chip is certainly not only for the track. But if you don't drive in a spirited way, I'm not sure you'll notice much difference.

I find that most people who own a 911 do so because they DRIVE it. Not RIDE in it. There are cars that are far more comfortable and civilized if you want to ride in the driver's seat. So if you are driver rather than a rider, you'll like the chip.

At the price Russell is currently charging, it's hard to go wrong. Heck, you can always resell it.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I do drive it for sure. I think I've driven 911s for so long I take the car for granted. I used to put the 914 into a 4 wheel drift, and I used to turn the 356 with the gas. The 911 is much more refined than those cars, so I rarely feel like I'm pushing it, especially after putting the 9" wheels with 245s back there. Prior to that, I used to throttle steer at practically every turn I could - and I will deny doing that if asked about it.

Your point about maintaining energy is exactly what I was told by Brig Gen James Kilpatrick, who used to race his Speedster in SCCA. Excellence did a nice tribute to him after he died. He used to race much more powerful cars in his open Speedster. Asked why, he said because it takes more balance, more technique, and more concentration. He was a fighter pilot in WWII, and flew P-51 Mustangs. I imagine he did the same thing when fighting enemy aircraft - kept his energy and momentum up, rather than chop and turn. I like your balancing game of maintaining a constant speed, and I imagine the General would approve.

And nice comment about the dogs. Mine are bite sized snacks for your Husky. I'll bet mine are way more needy than yours, and that is why I have to let them ride with me.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well at 110lbs, Charlie hasn't seen the inside of my 911 in years, but he loves the backseat of his Dad's Ridgeline. That usually means an adventure, whether running errands, or hopefully the beach.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Charlie's a great lookin dog!!! Hey, a dog beach?! They closed Morro Strand about 6 years ago to dogs because of some bird. They used to have beautiful dogs and ugly women, the reverse of Southern Calif beaches.....
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

We still have a couple of "official" dog beaches. This one is Dog Beach in Del Mar, about mid-San Diego county. There's another down near Mission Bay too. San Diego County is pretty dog friendly-lots of restaurants have water bowls and treats.

Charlie also goes to Lowes a lot with me. People often say hi to him and want to pet him. He gets bored when I look thru the tool section, and wants to head for checkout.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

OK - any excuse to post a picture of my best friend...
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Stunning!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

What a beautiful Husky!!! He looks like he knows it too.

Quick Reply: RUSSELL BERRY CHIP.....FINALLY!!!