Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thinking about buying a 1977 911S

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 1977 911S

Hi there folks, I am considering adding a classic air-cooled Porsche to the stable and have a lead on a 1977 911S with 135,000 miles. I am overseas on vacation and have not seen the car yet, but was contacted by an acquaintance who knows of my Porsche affliction. Her deceased husband bought the car new in 1977 and it is a one-owner specimen, which I think is kind of cool. He passed away in 1992, and the car has been driven rather sparingly since then, but she claims to have kept up on the maintenance, and apparently takes it out every now and then for a ride.

I have not ventured into the classic Porsche territory before, but am kind of looking forward to having a "project car" that I can slowly restore. I have no idea of fair price--have looked up a few listings that seem to be a bit under $10K for vehicles with similar mileage. I'd also appreciate any feedback on that particular model year--is it a good one or one known for troubles? Any other major concerns that I should have? Any particular things I should check out when inspecting a 911 of this vintage? Thanks in advance for any advice (pro or con) you'd be willing to share.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

BTW, did a search and saw this 4-year old thread that seemed to bring a lot of mixed opinions about this model year!

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ight=1977+911S

along with this 3-year old post
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ight=1977+911s

Last edited by STATMAN; 07-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

do you own a machine shop?

it could be quite a project

what can you ENSURE was done to the motor?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Do not own a machine shop and not a highly advanced DIYer; not sure yet what has been done to the engine, but that would seem to be a good first question when I inspect the car...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

you probably want to get an SC

or maybe a 49 state 1974
Old 07-15-2009, 12:09 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

This model year takes a lot of negative criticism on this board mainly due to the problems associated with the magnesium case 2.7. US cars came with thermal reactors which made the car run hot and caused early demise of valve guides and pulling of cylinder head studs. If the car has had the thermal reactors removed, complete valve job done including guides, and time certs installed then all the big negatives have been addressed. If not you could be in for some expensive repair bills. Otherwise I don't know of any real problems with the '77 that aren't engine related. I believe a nice original well kept example with correct mods done is a desirable car. Price is hard to determine without pictures and more details about maintenance records.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

"all the big negatives have been addressed"

not always - it might still need to be line bored

the mid-year cars can be great values IF you get a good one, as the problems of the 2.7L Mg cased motors tend to cause the price to be severely reduced
Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's in great, preserved shape and all checks out, go for it...... Get it as cheap as possible and then budget for a 3.0 SC engine swap when the time comes. You'll easily spend 5-8k+ rebuilding the 2.7 and squeezing out all the 'evils'. For the same or less money, you can grab a solid 3.0 with none of the issues the 2.7 suffered from. Stronger more reliable engine and earlier chassis =
Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

just had a 2.7 rebuilt, with parts and labor and some extra fabrication, it cost me $12,900.

Originally Posted by butzip
If it's in great, preserved shape and all checks out, go for it...... Get it as cheap as possible and then budget for a 3.0 SC engine swap when the time comes. You'll easily spend 5-8k+ rebuilding the 2.7 and squeezing out all the 'evils'. For the same or less money, you can grab a solid 3.0 with none of the issues the 2.7 suffered from. Stronger more reliable engine and earlier chassis =
Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, I recently bought a sweet blk/blk 83' SC coupe for $8,000.00
Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wpriller
just had a 2.7 rebuilt, with parts and labor and some extra fabrication, it cost me $12,900.
Wow, I guess I understand why Randy asked if I owned a machine shop! That's a lot of cash to lay out!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Oversteer
This model year takes a lot of negative criticism on this board mainly due to the problems associated with the magnesium case 2.7. US cars came with thermal reactors which made the car run hot and caused early demise of valve guides and pulling of cylinder head studs. If the car has had the thermal reactors removed, complete valve job done including guides, and time certs installed then all the big negatives have been addressed. If not you could be in for some expensive repair bills. Otherwise I don't know of any real problems with the '77 that aren't engine related. I believe a nice original well kept example with correct mods done is a desirable car. Price is hard to determine without pictures and more details about maintenance records.
Thanks for the nicely detailed response Oversteer. From the research I've done, my perspective was pretty well aligned with your's. The woman who is selling the car is an aquaintenance who I know somewhat (though I've never seen the car), and I know she wants to give this car to someone who she knows will care for it as lovingly as her deceased husband did. He did pass away 17 years ago, though. So, it is unclear how well she has kept up on the maintenance and other "special needs" of this model year. I am eager to get more details on July 25th or 26th when I return from overseas to see the car. My other thought was with that many miles on the clock--135,000--I would think that some major maintenance and an engine rebuild may have already been done in the past (I don't know, though, may be wrong).

Seems like a great bunch over here on this forum--hope I have the opportunity to interact in the future as the owner of a classic air-cooled P-car. Please keep the feedback and perspectives coming--I have a lot to learn and I'm all ears!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Everything you heard about the 2.7 is true, but if all those issues are address, it's a solid and reliable engine. I've owned my car for 29yrs so having the engine done by one of the best shops (Franz Blam Racing) in the country was worth the $12,900.

Good luck on your search and if you consider the car, PPI and service records should be priority.

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Wow, I guess I understand why Randy asked if I owned a machine shop! That's a lot of cash to lay out!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up this thread - I've had my 2.7 for over twenty years and spent nearly $18000 on my engine a few years ago. That's the cost of decent work in the UK - having previously spend nearly the same amount restoring the body a few years before the car is now valued at - about what I put into it so I guess (excluding the initial purchase price) I've broken even.

Good versions of these 2.7s are now extremely rare in the UK because the restorations caost are the same as the 3.2s etc. but less than the pre-impact models (less tin-worm!).

They are light and therefore pretty quick and nimble.

Without a doubt you have to love them and decide to use it as a coffin to make it worthwhile (for better or worse in sickness or in health etc) - but then someone has to preserve them.

PJC
Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjc
Just picked up this thread - I've had my 2.7 for over twenty years and spent nearly $18000 on my engine a few years ago. That's the cost of decent work in the UK - having previously spend nearly the same amount restoring the body a few years before the car is now valued at - about what I put into it so I guess (excluding the initial purchase price) I've broken even.

Good versions of these 2.7s are now extremely rare in the UK because the restorations caost are the same as the 3.2s etc. but less than the pre-impact models (less tin-worm!).

They are light and therefore pretty quick and nimble.

Without a doubt you have to love them and decide to use it as a coffin to make it worthwhile (for better or worse in sickness or in health etc) - but then someone has to preserve them.

PJC
It seems there is a small core of hardcore fans of these cars out there. Still not sure if I want to join the breed and make the kinds of investments in engine rebuilds, etc. that you folks are talking about. I am excited to see the car and determine how strongly I feel about rebuliding and/or maintaining it. Seems pretty much like an under-appreciated money pit, but I do kind of like an underdog!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 1977 911S