911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thinking about buying a 1977 911S

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009 | 10:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

buy yourself an SC - cqan be just as light and will likely be much more reliable

the SC is a good "starter" 911
Old 07-18-2009 | 11:39 PM
TT Oversteer
Rennlist Member

If you post some pictures we could give you a better idea of a fair value for this car. Even if the engine is toast it could be worth having if the price is right. I have seen complete good used 2.7 engines on Pelican for as little as 4k.
Old 07-19-2009 | 12:52 PM
mck911
Pro

For what it's worth...I just purchased a 74 911 with 46k miles for $6k. Car has NO rust and was running the last time it was titled about 15 years ago. It has since been in a garage. Paint was decent but doing a respray now. Interior is perfect except for one crack on the dash so I am replacing that and will replace the headliner as it just looks like it's 35 years old. The interior should be very close to "new" once completed. Even the steering wheel leather is in almost new condition. This car already has the stainless airbox and exhaust, factory a/c, no sunroof, yellow-green! I am the 3rd owner and this is an all FL car.
Old 07-19-2009 | 01:38 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kramermic
For what it's worth...I just purchased a 74 911 with 46k miles for $6k. Car has NO rust and was running the last time it was titled about 15 years ago. It has since been in a garage. Paint was decent but doing a respray now. Interior is perfect except for one crack on the dash so I am replacing that and will replace the headliner as it just looks like it's 35 years old. The interior should be very close to "new" once completed. Even the steering wheel leather is in almost new condition. This car already has the stainless airbox and exhaust, factory a/c, no sunroof, yellow-green! I am the 3rd owner and this is an all FL car.
So, the car was running when you bought it, or did you also need to invest in some significant engine work along with the various cosmetic improvements you mentioned? If it was in good mechanical shape when you bought it, that sounds like a real good deal to me for $6K!
Old 07-19-2009 | 10:51 PM
mck911
Pro

My dad owns European Performance in St. Petersburg. He's worked on this car for the last 20 some years....when the PO wanted to drive it. PO was never comfortable in the car so it has been sitting forever. It's probably been 10 years minimum since it's been driven, hasn't been titled in about 15. Would it start with a new batteryh and some fresh gas now? maybe, doubt it. I haven't even bothered yet. We know there are no major issues (head studs and such) but anticipate some minor things as mentioned above. It's a unique scenario for sure. My dad's been in this business for 30 + years. This would not be a purchase for a typical buyer. Nonetheless, I feel it's a great buy.
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:30 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I had to check to make sure I wasn't on the Ferrari forum...$12,900...$18,000 to rebuild a 2.7? Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is absolute insanity. I would never spend more than 10% of that on rebuilding a 2.7....(and if the rebuild would cost more I'd junk the motor and drop in a 3.0 or 3.2). Heck, you can get a nice 3.0 SC (whole car, not just the motor) for less! I understand there is sentimental value with some folks and all, but this just makes no sense to me. Even a major engine out service with new valve guides on a Ferrari F355 doesn't cost as much money.
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:41 AM
mck911
Pro

Originally Posted by andrew911
I had to check to make sure I wasn't on the Ferrari forum...$12,900...$18,000 to rebuild a 2.7? Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is absolute insanity. I would never spend more than 10% of that on rebuilding a 2.7....(and if the rebuild would cost more I'd junk the motor and drop in a 3.0 or 3.2). Heck, you can get a nice 3.0 SC (whole car, not just the motor) for less! I understand there is sentimental value with some folks and all, but this just makes no sense to me. Even a major engine out service with new valve guides on a Ferrari F355 doesn't cost as much money.
Agreed.
Old 07-20-2009 | 10:46 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

I was astonished by those prices as well. If this car needs that kind of investment, I will most defintely pass on it!
Old 07-20-2009 | 01:27 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Bruce Anderson posted an article in Excellence with parts and labor coming out to $22,000 for an SC rebuild.

I'll have to dig up the details later but from what I remember:

$3,000 for new pistons and Cylinders
Labor $6,000
Machine work $2,500

and more stuff

John
Old 07-20-2009 | 04:20 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Doing a engine swap was taken into consideration, but buying a use 3 liter or a 3.2 could still put you into the same boat. Number 1, you don't know what you are getting into buying a used engine. Number 2 putting a used engine into a early 911 and having problems with the engine a week later can also be a costly factor.

I guess my car is sentimental to me, that why I went ahead and dropped the $12,900. Also the shop recommended that it would be better off to rebuild than looking for a used 3 liter or 3.2 engine. I don't know if you have looked at the cost of rebuilding an aircool engine lately and especially with some modications and fabrication done.

Old 07-20-2009 | 05:14 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

So you don't think you are going have to put any money into a car that has been sitting for 10yrs. Start with your fuel system then think about dealing with the internals parts of your engine.

The only way you will save money, is if you, or your father are doing all the work. So labor cost may not be an issue but when you start buying replacement parts and even with a discount, it's going to cost you. It's just the nature of owning a older Porsche.

Originally Posted by kramermic
My dad owns European Performance in St. Petersburg. He's worked on this car for the last 20 some years....when the PO wanted to drive it. PO was never comfortable in the car so it has been sitting forever. It's probably been 10 years minimum since it's been driven, hasn't been titled in about 15. Would it start with a new batteryh and some fresh gas now? maybe, doubt it. I haven't even bothered yet. We know there are no major issues (head studs and such) but anticipate some minor things as mentioned above. It's a unique scenario for sure. My dad's been in this business for 30 + years. This would not be a purchase for a typical buyer. Nonetheless, I feel it's a great buy.

Last edited by wpriller; 07-20-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:39 PM
mck911
Pro

Originally Posted by wpriller
So you don't think you are going have to put any money into a car that has been sitting for 10yrs. Start with your fuel system then think about dealing with the internals parts of your engine.

The only way you will save money, is if you, or your father are doing all the work. So labor cost may not be an issue but when you start buying replacement parts and even with a discount, it's going to cost you. It's just the nature of owning a older Porsche.
Uhhh....thanks for the heads up!? I never said I wasn't going to have to put money into. It's already started and I haven't even touched anything mechanical. I am restoring this car to original pristine condition....plenty of money and sweat will go into this car. Even with us doing all of the work, restoring an older (especially a Pcar) car is always expensive. I'm about to drop $1,500 on a new dash because there's one crack in it. The point is that somebody could have purchased this car, touched up some paint, went through the fuel system, brakes and some other odds and ends and had a solid car. I have plans of going well beyond that. This, as stated, would not be a purchase for somebody with little experience with these cars.

Wasn't trying to hi-jack this thread. The point to provide a comp. Statman, hope this has helped you in some way. Markets are soft across the board but in the end, buy the car that makes you happy. I've known this car / wanted this car since I was about 8. Now it's mine, and when I have completed my project I will be VERY happy.
Old 07-21-2009 | 02:37 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

FWIW - Bruce seems to be somewhat disconnected from reality on certain issues. Most of his market values for instance are great for sellers and for percieved market value of the marque. But no where close to real day to day street values..... No offense Bruce...
Old 07-22-2009 | 04:27 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Default A couple pix to look at

Hey guys, I was sent a couple of pictures of the car to take a look at. I will be returning from Paris on Friday and will see the car in person on Saturday or Sunday. Here are the pictures--they do not reveal a lot of details, but what do you think...?
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2009 | 05:39 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

...looks like a nice car to me.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 1977 911S