Oil Level Gauge Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Jim Beam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Level Gauge Paranoia

All,
Regarding my 1987 911 3.2 and the oil level gauge reading, the Owner's Manual says "Never let the needle reach the red range of the dial." It also says that if the needle reads in the white while at idle and operating temperature on level ground, it is operating correctly. At temperature my oil level gauge reading drops into the red zone at speed. If I am driving 70 mph on the freeway, the oil level gauge reads in the red zone. Come to a stop and at idle it reads well into the white zone. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I know there is sufficient oil in the car but the red zone reading, given the language of the Owner's Manual, causes me some concern.
Thanks.
Jim Beam
Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
genripper
Instructor

The oil level gauge on 911's up through 89 is a back up oil level indicator only, and the reading is meaningless under all conditions other than idling on a flat surface and at operating temperature.

The dipstick in the oil filler neck is the primary oil level indicator, again measuring at idle on a flat surfac3 at operating temperature.

I try to get the oil level measured this way to half way between the low and high mark on the dipstick. At which point my oil level gauge will read a little below half way on the gauge.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jim, your car is fine. As long as you are paying attention to it moving and it isn't just sitting at the bottom for months on end. If it is moving you are good. Trust the dipstick. Get it good and hot and read the dipstick.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work. At 70 on the freeway, I think it should be at the half way mark. On my 86, my oil level runs at the 3 o'clock level when the temp is at about 8:30. I run my oil level at half way up the dipstick and the oil level indicator does fluctuate, but not to the extent yours does.

What does your dipstick read when the car is warmed up? I think people will tell you to not look at the dash and instead follow the dipstick.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
genripper
Instructor

1. THE DIPSTICK IS GOD.

2. I AM A DIPSTICK (ASK MY WIFE).

3. THEREFORE I AM GOD.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

just as an added data point My guage and dipstaick match perfectly. and my oil will sit at about the half way point at about 70 , but any type of acceleration will affect this . of course viscosity and oil temp will affect how fast the scavaenge pump acan pump it back into the tank , but based on your description you have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

The manual says the gauge is only accurate at idle and at operating temp (first narrow gauge at 8:30) on a level surface. If you service your oil to the top of the mark, the gauge will read near the top at idle. Once you press the accelerator the gauge is inaccurate and meaningless, however it will still appear to show a level below full but it doesn't mean anything until you come to a stop on a level surface at idle at operating temp. As your engine consumes a quart or so of oil over the next 600-1500 miles, depending on your car, the gauge will sit in the red anytime you touch the accelerator and will stay there during cruise. Once you stop at idle on a level surface at operating temp it again beecomes accurate.

My dipstick and gauge match exactly and always have.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, oil level gauge (and dipstick) useless unless the car is idling on level ground, fully warmed up. I let it idle for a full minute or more before doing final check and adding oil. Fully warm on my 3.2 is 180F oil temp. If you do not have a numeric temp gauge, look on the very far edge of your gauge and you'll see temperature numbers etched in very small type.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heck, if i am on any kind of slight incline, needle is in a different position. i agree, idle and on flat pavement and warm to check, otherwise, it's just there for filler in the dash

Tom
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Mine match, too. But dipstick is the law: level ground, running engine,...at temp, ..always checking the oil lines to the front cooler.

Best,

Doyle
Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always good to get the temp and level gauge to mirror one another at idle and up to temp. Having done hundreds of oil services for customers cars, It always looked good when the owner got the car back. Some may call it good etiquet. If you have the oil level toward the full mark, it will usually come down to the temp gauge level. Normal oil consumption and the gratuitous air cooled leaks will get it there in a few thousand miles.

The dipstick IS God though.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
heck, if i am on any kind of slight incline, needle is in a different position. i agree, idle and on flat pavement and warm to check, otherwise, it's just there for filler in the dash

Tom
I think that when these cars were new, there were undoubtedly some owners who would never deign to look under the hood. That was done by the service technicians. For the convenience of these owners, the level gauge was installed.

All my wife's cars should have them.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Thoroughly warm, on level ground, idling, AND sitting still! It's meaningless while moving (Mine - 993 - always was zeroed if I was moving). And hey, if the dipstick says otherwise, you're fine!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Testing
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Think with your dipstick.

Couldn't resist.

Bottom line is you are measuring the oil in the reservoir, not the oil pan. At idle, less oil is circulating over the moving parts and it is stored in the reservoir. That's why the level rises at idle. That's the advantage of the dry sump system, even though the level drops when not at idle, you don't have the starvation issue that comes with wet sumps.

Porsche tells you to check your oil level at idle for a reason; checking it any other time serves no useful purpose. If it's not in the red at idle and the dipstick says good, you are in good shape.

Drive it and don't worry.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Gauge Paranoia