Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche 911 on Wheeler Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I watch Wheeler Dealers regularly....

It also bothers me that Edd is kind of sloppy. He is great at the technical stuff, but never cleans the parts before he puts them back on. He once had a head off a Cosworth engine and he was scraping all the gasket and oil buildup right into the cylinders. I believe he vacuumed it up before re-assembly, but a simple rag over the cylinder could have saved some of the cleanup or a potential problem.

I have seen that 911 show a few times and when I compare Edd's hairdo and hair color to the new shows, there is quite a change. He is really getting a skunk ragtop, eh?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
packet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tone40
It also bothers me that Edd is kind of sloppy. He is great at the technical stuff, but never cleans the parts before he puts them back on. He once had a head off a Cosworth engine and he was scraping all the gasket and oil buildup right into the cylinders. I believe he vacuumed it up before re-assembly, but a simple rag over the cylinder could have saved some of the cleanup or a potential problem.

I have seen that 911 show a few times and when I compare Edd's hairdo and hair color to the new shows, there is quite a change. He is really getting a skunk ragtop, eh?
He's the typical mechanic really. Don't go any farther than you have to. After all, it's not your car. In the later shows he tends to clean things up quite a bit better though.

Aside from the head gasket thing, I loved the part about how parts were cheap for a 911. I'm guessing he hadn't bought many parts.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Yeah Edd really is a bit sloppy, some mechanics are, some aren't. The first garage I worked in the guy who owned the place was a real clean freak which was good. I had blast cabinet, steam cleaner, and a few other lil toys to help clean parts after they came off cars. I've always been a firm practicer of it I'm already gonna spend an hour getting this thing off might as well spend 10 mins cleaning it up!

I think what has bothered me more about Edd being messy is that if I was going to flip a car, cleaning up the greasy bits makes the car a lot more presentable
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Newer Episode on last night, 83 Lotus Esprit.
Edd dropped the engine yet he did not CLEAN it before putting it back in, greasy oily mess. made me twitch!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I recorded that one to watch tonight. On an older show (BMW 325 touring)..

broadcast last night, Edd removed the bumper rubber and just slapped it back on without even taking a rag to brush off the newly exposed obvious grime (f & r bumpers). Come on Edd, give it a 100% effort!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

i wonder if ed knows how he is irritating people. if he did i am sure he would clean up his act
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Some things get edited out and just aren't shown on the show. One episode (can't remember the car) there were new front rotors and calipers on the car but they were never mentioned in the final parts total.

On the Volvo 1800, they repainted the inside of the front hood but never mentioned it or included it in the final list of items replaced.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
RAJU
Advanced

July 7, 2012 I recorded what I believe to be the Wheel D episode you all refer. The info states the original air date as 06/02/2009, and the car to be a 1976 911 Targa and came via the states (USA). When Mike inspected the car he said it was a 1974 911S Targa. The owner than suggests that you should open the oil cap for white residue that would suggest the head gasket is gone caught my ear because my 83SC had such a residue. At 180,000 miles a leak around my heads became audible. After an immediate repair and some 2,000 miles later the white residue has not reappeared. FYI, Ed is 6’-7” tall.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 on Wheeler Dealers