Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911 Need more info before buying

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 911 Need more info before buying

I am looking for an old porsche, but know very little about the 1975 series. Saw this ad on this forum's classified ad. Does anyone know the seller, Vtrac Automotive? Are they reputable? Could you fill me in on this particular car. Is it truly a collectible as they are claiming. Thanks so much.

"Numbers-matching 1975 Whale Tail Carrera out of a private collection is being offered by our award winning restoration team. Number 40 of 395 Carrera imported to the U.S. making this vehicle an extremely rare investment grade vehicle, and should not be confused with the ROW or gray market Euro Carrera.
An early production (9/74) 1975 model includes the first year of the famous whale tail rear spoiler. Additional features include fender flares from the famous 73 Carrera RS, electric sliding sunroof, power windows, pop-out rear windows, headlight washers, front oil cooler and original Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio.
It features a stock 2.7 liter engine mated to a 915 5 speed transmission producing 165hp. The engine was removed and a full service was performed by Dean Polopolus of Advanced Engineering in Temecula, CA.*
This vehicle maintains its complete originality while preserving any and all usable parts. There was no rust throughout the vehicle prior to its cosmetic restoration. It was completely stripped with the engine removed and painted its original Peru Red (042) single stage paint. The interior is the original Cinnamon perforated leatherette and has the original silverknit nylon velour carpet in matching Cinnamon. It sports the factory "black look" exterior trim, flexible lip front spoiler, optional rectangular fog lights and Carrera script. The wheels are optional 7 x 15 front and 8 x 15 rears, factory Fuchs alloys with new period correct 60 series tires along with factory Koni shocks and aluminum brake calipers with steel braided brake lines.
Carrera #40 is in superb condition and is, by far, one of the most beautiful Carreras on the market today. It is impossible to find a rare 75 Carrera Coupe in such magnificent, perfect, showroom condition anywhere in the world. The paint has a mirror finish - the pictures do not do this car justice. Weve tried different lighting to capture the richness of this color; it needs to be seen and deserves to be flaunted.
There are no leaks and we have all the receipts from the restoration along with the original books and tools, Certificate of Authenticity issued by Porsche Cars North America, Inc. This Carrera is an excellent investment opportunity and will be a perfect addition to any collection.

This vehicle is at our warehouse / showroom near LAX. Please call for appointment to view and drive. Ask for Victor at 714-787-6236 or Martin at 818-726-1919. More pictures available upon request."
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Start by reading page 75 of "The Used 911 Story" by Peter Zimmermann for a quick view into the life of a 1975 Carrera. By the time you are to page 77 you know you have some homework to do.

good luck, the add sounds great.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mdonline
I am looking for an old porsche, but know very little about the 1975 series. Saw this ad on this forum's classified ad. Does anyone know the seller, Vtrac Automotive? Are they reputable? Could you fill me in on this particular car. Is it truly a collectible as they are claiming. Thanks so much.

"Numbers-matching 1975 Whale Tail Carrera out of a private collection is being offered by our award winning restoration team. Number 40 of 395 Carrera imported to the U.S. making this vehicle an extremely rare investment grade vehicle, and should not be confused with the ROW or gray market Euro Carrera.
An early production (9/74) 1975 model includes the first year of the famous whale tail rear spoiler. Additional features include fender flares from the famous 73 Carrera RS, electric sliding sunroof, power windows, pop-out rear windows, headlight washers, front oil cooler and original Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio.
It features a stock 2.7 liter engine mated to a 915 5 speed transmission producing 165hp. The engine was removed and a full service was performed by Dean Polopolus of Advanced Engineering in Temecula, CA.*
This vehicle maintains its complete originality while preserving any and all usable parts. There was no rust throughout the vehicle prior to its cosmetic restoration. It was completely stripped with the engine removed and painted its original Peru Red (042) single stage paint. The interior is the original Cinnamon perforated leatherette and has the original silverknit nylon velour carpet in matching Cinnamon. It sports the factory "black look" exterior trim, flexible lip front spoiler, optional rectangular fog lights and Carrera script. The wheels are optional 7 x 15 front and 8 x 15 rears, factory Fuchs alloys with new period correct 60 series tires along with factory Koni shocks and aluminum brake calipers with steel braided brake lines.
Carrera #40 is in superb condition and is, by far, one of the most beautiful Carreras on the market today. It is impossible to find a rare 75 Carrera Coupe in such magnificent, perfect, showroom condition anywhere in the world. The paint has a mirror finish - the pictures do not do this car justice. Weve tried different lighting to capture the richness of this color; it needs to be seen and deserves to be flaunted.
There are no leaks and we have all the receipts from the restoration along with the original books and tools, Certificate of Authenticity issued by Porsche Cars North America, Inc. This Carrera is an excellent investment opportunity and will be a perfect addition to any collection.

This vehicle is at our warehouse / showroom near LAX. Please call for appointment to view and drive. Ask for Victor at 714-787-6236 or Martin at 818-726-1919. More pictures available upon request."
My brother has had a lot of work done by Dean Polopolus. They are right in the midst of a rebuild of one of his 356s which is including one of Dean's 4 cylinder 911 motors. He loves the guy.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't Dean the guy who made a 4 cylinder motor out of a 911 motor by chopping two of the cylinders off? Or is he the guy who makes 914-6 motor mounts and oil tanks?

I agree that the pre-911SC Carrera is rare and would be a fun car, but not sure it would be a great investment.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Isn't Dean the guy who made a 4 cylinder motor out of a 911 motor by chopping two of the cylinders off? Or is he the guy who makes 914-6 motor mounts and oil tanks?

I agree that the pre-911SC Carrera is rare and would be a fun car, but not sure it would be a great investment.
Yes he is. He has built one that's going into by brother's cars. Don't know about the 914 stuff.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
jpyles
Instructor

The 2.7 engines were known to have issues. If it was rebuilt, all the correct fixes should have been made. Of course, there should be documentation to prove the work. If I were overhauling the engine, I'd rebuild it to 2.7 euro-spec with 210 hp. Just my .02 cents...
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Unless this thing is perfect, I would pass. Pre 1978 cars (1974-1977) are plagued by engine issues due to the magnesium engine cases. They expand and contract at a different rate then the fasteners, and are problematic. Even with Helicoid fasteners, you still can have issues. 1975 was a distinctive year for the 911 in that it was the first time in recent history where the price of a 911 actually went DOWN from the previous year. Generally, they get more expensive with each passing year. Although the comments in the ad are generally true, the seller is clearly overstating things. Take me to see it and I can give you a professional opinion of whether it's worth it or not. What price are they seeking?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I have my antennae up on this guy's wording:

1. WTF is so different with this car than a gray market Euro? It sounds like it is a gray market Euro.
2. The engine was removed and full service performed. That does not tell me it was rebuilt, but it almost sounds like it is inferred.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an extremely rare investment grade vehicle, and should not be confused with the ROW or gray market Euro Carrera.
That's funny. Please don't confuse this rare vehicle with the Euro Carrera as most of the Euros are north of $70k.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 PM
mussbergersbrother
1st Gear

Default Deans engine building skills are first rate

Originally Posted by rusnak

Yes Dean has cast his own cases for a 4 cyl 911 based motor, he is building me one @ 2.6 liters and installing in my 53 Ruetter Coupe (inlaw). I got to drive a similar car that we are building and its was awesome!! Call Dean at Advance Performance Engineering if you are looking to be extremely different from the crowd.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Unless this thing is perfect, I would pass. Pre 1978 cars (1974-1977) are plagued by engine issues due to the magnesium engine cases. They expand and contract at a different rate then the fasteners, and are problematic. Even with Helicoid fasteners, you still can have issues.

Dan,

With all due respect,....I must disagree. Mag-cased 2.7 and earlier engines are truly excellent motors provided all the issues have been correctly addressed by competent people. I think its neither fair nor accurate to "tar & feather" all of them with the same brush and some context is required before blanket condemnation is made.

Depending on precisely what was done and who did it, determines whether its good bet or not. I've seen plenty of 2.7's go over 200K without problems so I know its possible to do,...
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with both of you

the problem is HOW does a buyer determine exactly what was done... and if it was done competently

??

not impossible but rare to find a known good shop with receipts that list the VIN and a detailed description of the work...
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by randywebb
....the problem is HOW does a buyer determine exactly what was done... and if it was done competently

??

not impossible but rare to find a known good shop with receipts that list the VIN and a detailed description of the work...
Randy,

Its easy,...

When full documention is available, one can see what was done. Further, a prospective owner shouldn't be shy about calling that shop on the phone to ask some key questions.

If there are no records or the shop that performed said work is questionable, its time to walk away from that car.

While I'd agree that its not easy to find good shops that do quality work, this is simply part of the due-diligence process one should do on any car.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree Steve, but the process you describe is not 'easy' - it requires that the buyer _already_ know if a given shop is good or not. To know that, they had better be buying their 2nd or later 911...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If nothing else, this would be a good excuse to call Dean Polopolus and ask him about the car, assuming as Randy points out, that some sort of record is available.

Quick Reply: 1975 911 Need more info before buying