Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

DIY: Carrera Engine Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Not to get waaaaaaaaayy off into the weeds but i think there are lots of quality manufacturers that can make some quality stuff. Thinking that if it is not Porsche it is no good is either narrow minded or quoted by the non informed. Following the Porsche only Mantra is a little bit of idol worship not based in common sense.

Of course your not gonna put chineese fuel lines in but i sure would put one in designed by a company who puts aircraft fuel lines in for example.

so lets stop talking Porsche only nonsense and stop draging threads in that have nothing to do with this

rant over .. carry on all ..
Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Not to get waaaaaaaaayy off into the weeds but i think there are lots of quality manufacturers that can make some quality stuff. Thinking that if it is not Porsche it is no good is either narrow minded or quoted by the non informed. Following the Porsche only Mantra is a little bit of idol worship not based in common sense.

Of course your not gonna put chineese fuel lines in but i sure would put one in designed by a company who puts aircraft fuel lines in for example.

so lets stop talking Porsche only nonsense and stop draging threads in that have nothing to do with this

rant over .. carry on all ..
I think that I've made my point. Porsche has been joining flexible to hard lines in the same way since the '70s. How many have you seen look like Ian's avatar? Do you realize that I ran the busiest 911 shop in Los Angeles for just under 25 years, and NEVER had to deal with a burn car. I'm not coming from an idol worship perspective, nor am I narrow-minded or non-informed, I base my recommendations on experience; personal, hands-on experience.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Since ian has me on ignore and some of the guys with more class would rather not cause any more fuss I'll take this opportunity to stop biting my tongue.

Remember the time when a fellow rennlister had a DE the following day and his throttle kept acting up. He was headed into a DE knowing his throttle linkage could kill him and others. One of our other fellow rennlisters said it will be ok, don't worry, just give yourself a little extra stopping room....Remember that?

This is kinda like that. You can increase the number of potential fail points in your fuel line by 4 fold and save yourself a couple hundred bucks or you could spring for the factory parts and trust decades of German engineering.

If it's a track only car then fine, cut and paste all you want, but if you are going to put that car on the road next to my kids I have a right to speak up. Some may even say I have a responsibility to speak up.
I'm not sure where all this is going, good or bad but.... to say replacing the oem fuel line with a quality steel braid line is 'irresponsible' is not right. It's common practice to replace rubber brake lines with steel braid and nobody speaks out about that...... I made my own fuel line simialr to the attached procedure a couple years ago and I feel it is superior to the oem. That said the oem lasted 22 years..... It's one thing if somebody was suggesting the replace with rubber lines and hose clamps...... but please. Every commercial and military aircraft is relying on the same spec lines as have been suggested here and I dare say there is slightly more at stake there......
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by butzip
I'm not sure where all this is going, good or bad but.... to say replacing the oem fuel line with a quality steel braid line is 'irresponsible' is not right. It's common practice to replace rubber brake lines with steel braid and nobody speaks out about that...... I made my own fuel line simialr to the attached procedure a couple years ago and I feel it is superior to the oem. That said the oem lasted 22 years..... It's one thing if somebody was suggesting the replace with rubber lines and hose clamps...... but please. Every commercial and military aircraft is relying on the same spec lines as have been suggested here and I dare say there is slightly more at stake there......
..my point exactly ..... so let's just agree to disagree on some points and move on. This is not PP after all and we don't want to start one of those endless threads. Besides. I have seen Ian's fuel lines and they look VERY impressive.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
..my point exactly ..... so let's just agree to disagree on some points and move on. This is not PP after all and we don't want to start one of those endless threads. Besides. I have seen Ian's fuel lines and they look VERY impressive.
Appearance and function are two different things. I've serviced concours cars that are in such poor mechanical condition that they're not suitable for a long drive. But they sure are pretty.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

... ah so THAT is why they trailer them to concour
Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled the intake manifold as one piece to replace all those hoses. It was a PIA but do-able. It's a great time to replace the upper oil thermostat o-ring and replace the sound pad without having to drop the engine. Once I replaced the manifold gaskets and retightened and had the CO re-set, it did more to give the car a kick in the pants than anything. Felt like 15 more horsepower, and no more fears of engine fires.
Attached Images    
Old 04-15-2009, 02:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is one clean engine. Just thinking it through myself, I probably would have picked it apart and taken things out in pieces, but your way looks much easier. Very nice, thanks for posting that!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by der Mond
I pulled the intake manifold as one piece to replace all those hoses. It was a PIA but do-able. It's a great time to replace the upper oil thermostat o-ring and replace the sound pad without having to drop the engine. Once I replaced the manifold gaskets and retightened and had the CO re-set, it did more to give the car a kick in the pants than anything. Felt like 15 more horsepower, and no more fears of engine fires.
Exactly! At the shop, every time we did the fuel lines (as you describe) we discovered the same result - new found performance. It's almost like Porsche planned those fuel lines to last as long as the intake gaskets (kidding, of course), change everything at once and drive the car another worry-free 80K miles!

By the way - I know that you sold your car, but nice job!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by butzip
Yes, I agree that the military and even everyone of my father-in-laws B2B's have that line, but it was not put togeather under a shade tree on the side yard. I used the same lines on my '64 barracuda, but I'm not trained to military prec. If the OP is trained to what the FAA requires then fine, fire away.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah the ignorance of thinking some oem fuel line, any oem hose for that matter, would last longer than what's out there.
Don't be F ing ignorant.

Do you know what kind of hose and screw on fittings we use to dive to 900 feet in the gulf?
Don't be silly.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

To suggest that if something is not OE it is crap without doing any type of evaluation shows poor analytical skills and even poorer judgement.

But that said if you admitedly have no engineering or analytic skills at all, just buy OE to be safe and make no comment about substitutes as you are not qualified to do so .
Old 04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to see the discussion in this thread degenerate into personal attacks.

I suggest, as a better alternative, is to post specific alternative approaches with detailed info and parts # or manufacturers if that info is available.

That way, your alternative fuel line can be replicated by someone else looking for an alternative, and evaluated for soundness if need be.

Everyone, play nice.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very true that as a professional, liability comes into play. In such a case, I would expect that OEM would be used.

In my life, I have seen two 911s on the side of the road, pretending to be charcoal grills. It is a sad sight. Don't let this happen to you. Whatever type of replacement line you use, use it, and do a good job.

It doesn't cost - it saves.

Quick Reply: DIY: Carrera Engine Fuel Line Replacement