Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Early 911 Barn Find in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris Brown, this has been an entertaining story and fun ride. It's not like you can tell the owner to hurry up and sell because your Porsche forum buddies are getting anxious.

Oldtee, $7.5K for that beautiful car? Ya stoled it !!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
I just had a long talk with the owner. He thought my offer of 5K was fair and will be discussing it with his wife. He has a fair amount of extras to go along with car including the factory spare, tool kit and a variety of new factory interior trim parts. I think I have about a 50/50 shot right now.
WOW! Curious, was that your first offer? At that price is IMHO definitely worth it.

Sadly for me, I have decided (after a 3 year retirement) to start another business and thus unless an exceptional deal comes along will have to postpone my search for the 1984-1989 911 I have been looking for <SIGH>... Then again, might be persuaded if anyone knows of an exceptional low mileage (<75k miles) one... Pretty much any color except not blue or red interior...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Well we seem to have reached the end of the short term updates. The owner and I have been talking but he is ending negotiations with "really rather just hold onto the Porsche in the hopes that we can get to it relatively soon." It has been 14 years so far...

I will remain in contact with him, and hope to see him in person for his annual visit to the car sometime in the next few months. When/if that happens I will of course take another run at buying the car.

My overall emotion right now is frustration, I hate losing! It would be easy to keep offering more and more money to try and "win" - but that isn't a place I want to go in the middle of the recession (lets hope it is the middle at least). In some respects I am proud of myself in keeping my emotions in check on this "opportunity" and not just going overboard.

If "top dollar" was offered I think the owner would go for it, like the $10K figure being mentioned in earlier posts. But that really is too much for this car, at this time.

So thank you all for the support and well wishes. This chapter may be closing, but the story could resume... Many of you have described how a seller would not budge, and then a few weeks/months later you got "the call" and ultimately the car. I will put my hopes into that possibility and leave them there for now.

Time to get back on the horse, my '87 is getting a few upgrades and the weather is getting nicer - it needs to be on the road pronto! H'mm - maybe I should look into the Elephant ASP upgrade...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

You did the right thing by not giving in to the "must-win" drive and bidding it up to the point where you realize afterwards that you have overpaid.

From the sounds of it, I think you are right that there is a decent chance that he may change his mind on this. 14 years without touching it... One really has to ask themselves when they truthfully expect to get to it...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Oldtee
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule 1: Never buy something that is not 'for sale'!

Rule 2: If something is 'for sale' there is an agreeable, fair price!

Rule 3: If there is not an agreeable fair price, see rule 1!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oldtee
Rule 1: Never buy something that is not 'for sale'!

Rule 2: If something is 'for sale' there is an agreeable, fair price!

Rule 3: If there is not an agreeable fair price, see rule 1!
LOL - well put! Sometimes you have to take a shot though, you never know.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
LOL - well put! Sometimes you have to take a shot though, you never know.
My guess is that he calls you back in a couple of months. He does not want to let something he has had for 14 years go under pressure. You have now got him thinking again about fixing up the car. He is going to spend some time now looking into it, and after he realizes that it will cost him $25k - $30k to get the car back on the road, he will call you. Best of luck.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Dang... Not the conclusion we were all hoping for.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be persistant. I had a customer who bought a '57 speedster after 10 years of hounding the widowed owner. He would knock on her door and ask every couple of months. You gotta know when to take NO for answer-the above mentioned customer did not. Be careful not to become a jerk(not that you would), but people are emotional about these cars and its easy to cross the line. I had another customer who had a spectacular '77 turbo(12k original miles) and eventually told a speculator that he would give it away befor he sold it to the persistant jerk trying to buy it. A little tact and gentle persistance may achieve your goal.
Good luck. This car needs a good home.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:07 AM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

What ever happened with this in the end... it has been a few years, so did you go back to the guy and get the car? Considering original 911Ts of this era here in Europe are now fetching somewhere around $40-50K Euro... would be a pity if it is still sitting in the barn.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

The owner went radio silent and my guess is the car is still sitting in the barn Given the run up of prices it would have been well worth buying for $10k but I had my doubts the owner would ever emotionally let go.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 AM
moto one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when the crystal ball doesn't work. I'm in the same boat now too. But it dose make a 991 look reasonable now.

Mark

Quick Reply: Early 911 Barn Find in progress