Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Early 911 Barn Find in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

Today is "I-Day" when the detailed inspection will take place. Thanks very much to everyone who provided input around the early car inspection process. I feel well prepared to give this old girl a serious look under the, um, skirt.

And I will make an offer after the inspection is done, if it makes sense.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck Chris!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

This has been a great thread to follow and I am really looking forward to hear how it goes today. The hardest part of your inspection will be getting a good-enough look at the under-body areas to properly asses the condition of the tub. If it has not already been suggested, it could be a good idea to bring along a floor jack, some jack stands, plywood for the stands to sit on and jack each side up separately and remove the wheels and start looking everywhere with a strong flashlight. I would be most concerned with the torsion tube, rockers/kidney bowl and floor pan, in that order.

Unquestionably you will need to spend a lot of money on this car, even if you do the work yourself.

On a point for reference, very far on the other side of the spectrum, I picked up my 1985 Carrera last year with a very solid body (no issues even in the hidden spots), original paint and interior, ~100K miles and decent overall shape. I have spent the first year of ownership taking care of normal little items, a little paint work, re-covered dash, new carpets, new seals etc. In the process I have replaced many hardware items etc and even this “light refresh” has added up to significant dollars. So when I extrapolate to a restoration… well, I get it… not profitable!

But I think you know that and are going into this as a fun project. That is what my 944S has become. It is a total, detailed restoration top-to-bottom and at 75% done, I have already spent a very, very stupid amount of money. And I have done ALL the work myself (except for machine shop work like crank polishing). I will never, ever recoup more than a fraction on what I have put into it, but I don’t even slightly regret it.

Just some ramblings as food-for-thought…

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

The owner has kindly left a jack and jack plates nearby from his annual visit to the car. I am bringing the icepick and camera
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

I just got back from the inspection and have no time to write a detailed post - but here are the pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/cbracerx...iledInspection
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... does not look as bad as I thought it would.

Hey! just noticed, key is in ignition, turn it and drive away! (oh yeah, tires are flat and no battery, :P )
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

So I found a few surprises in the inspection - most good.

Good
The engine has what look like SSI's.
The car has very little rust I could detect. It looks like it was a fresh restoration that the owner could not get to run right so he parked it 14 years ago. I used the icepick vigorously and spent an hour looking at it. The battery boxes have a small amount of rust, bottom inside surface only. The drivers door has a big paint chip on the door edge by the handle. Very small bubbling on the bottom edge of the drivers door.
The paint is very presentable!
New carrara tensioners on engine

Bad
It is a repaint, but they seem to have removed all the glass, doors, etc.
No spare
S front spoiler is fiberglass

Time to call the owner and make an offer.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

The overall solidity of the body looks pretty decent from what I can tell from the pictures. Even the battery boxes look like the damage is more superficial.

The interior will be pretty expensive to fix, but the headliner looks remarkably good.

Engine compartment certainly exhudes an air of having not been started for centuries. I would assume a total rebuild and nothing less. How were the jack receiver areas?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amjf088
The overall solidity of the body looks pretty decent from what I can tell from the pictures. Even the battery boxes look like the damage is more superficial.

The interior will be pretty expensive to fix, but the headliner looks remarkably good.

Engine compartment certainly exhudes an air of having not been started for centuries. I would assume a total rebuild and nothing less. How were the jack receiver areas?
Engine has low compression and runs super rich. Total rebuild required.

Jack areas totally solid, I picked it up on each side just fine and icepicked away.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jeez, this car is savable. It almost whispers "daily driver".
Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Left the owner a message, will update after he calls back.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

I bet that interior cleans right up. All that it looks to be is mold. Give it a good detail and i bet it looks as good as new. The dash pad is in great shape as well. I would be estatic to find such an example. Hope all goes in your favor. Very cool car!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Agreed, it does look very solid. Looks like original paint in the trunk and door jams with some black over spray on the passenger side door jam at the bottom hinge. I too agree about the interior, I think it will clean up much better than expected. The dash pad is a replacement part but who cares.

Does the odometer read 34K miles? I wonder if the mileage is documented? Most likely a rebuild as you said, so maybe a 2.4S or bigger?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Agreed, it does look very solid. Looks like original paint in the trunk and door jams with some black over spray on the passenger side door jam at the bottom hinge. I too agree about the interior, I think it will clean up much better than expected. The dash pad is a replacement part but who cares.

Does the odometer read 34K miles? I wonder if the mileage is documented? Most likely a rebuild as you said, so maybe a 2.4S or bigger?
It is supposedly stock and _needs_ a rebuild (low compression I was told). the owner could not get it to run well (too rich). But until I get the chance to dig in, you never know!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

The seller emailed me and we will talk Monday.

Here is an interesting data point: 1972 911 sold on ebay yesterday

Quick Reply: Early 911 Barn Find in progress