Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just bought a real '73 RS and have a few electrical gremlins. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 44 Posts
Post Just bought a real '73 RS and have a few electrical gremlins. Any ideas?

Greetings to All,

I'm a newbie from the 993 board. I just bought a 73 RS and several lights don't work (i.e. hazards, directionals, interior lights). I figured it obviously isn't a problem with the bulbs since none of the lights work. Does anybody know if there is a specific relay that controls the lights? Also I am missing the fuse box cover. Anybody have the list for what each fuse controls? They all look good, but I will start poking around more if I know which fuse is which.

Sorry for my ignorance - thanks to all for the help!
Old 06-08-2002, 06:28 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you should sell the car immediately (before experiencing any other problems) to me for $7,500.

Seriously, best of luck and have much fun with your latest acquisition. It's a modern classic.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-20-2020)
Old 06-10-2002, 02:34 AM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, you didn't mention your Ferrari when you made the same post on Pelican. I'd like to make the same request here that many did over there...how about posting a pic of your collection? Or, even the VIN# of your RS?
Old 06-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Michael Rothenberg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!

Nice purchase! First I would get the owners manual from the dealer. It should tell you which fuse is what. I have found that if you take each fuse out and cleanthe contacts of the fuse and block with some emory cloth (really fine sand papaer will do) a lot of electrical issues disappear.

After that, its time to have fun with your voltmeter and the Porsche wireing diagrams. Those diagrams are soooo easy to read too! All the fancy colors are nice! HAHAA I believe you can view them online.... but I forget where... maybe <a href="http://www.vintagebus.com" target="_blank">www.vintagebus.com</a> or something like that.

The circuit is resonably simple to trace out though for the signal lights. I would suspect if all the lights dont work then the line that delivers power to them ay have a bad fuse. The relays dont generaly die so you may wish to leave them to last. The relay that controls the flashing may be problematic though.

Sorry I can not offer more, but I am an 82 owner and not that familliar with your year...

-m
Old 06-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

pwd72s

I'll borrow a dig camera tonight and get the pics posted. Technology is definitely not my strong point! BTW, the RS is #493. Originally a tangerine orange car, but now painted india red. Car came out of Switzerland and I'm the 4th owner.

Here's a link to pics of my other baby:

<a href="http://p-car.com/reviews/993ttvs550/" target="_blank">http://p-car.com/reviews/993ttvs550/</a>

Michael,

Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. Sounds like it is time for me to roll up my sleeves!
Old 06-11-2002, 04:10 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I read your 550 vs 993tt and when I got to the bottom, I read the 550 vs 360 post. I would never take a 360 over a 550. Styling is a big issue in a Ferrari purchase and the 550 wins hands down. Or better yet, the 360 loses hands down. To the usual Joe, who finds every red car with a pointy nose that sports a horse in a yellow background beautiful, the 360 looks good. To someone like me, who appreciates the marque and knows who Gioachino Colombo is, the 360 won't do in the styling department. Too big, too high, the lines are just not as sharp as in the 550 or 355. And to top it off, I find the 550 not punishing enough, which if it were, would keep the neuveau riche posers away. Oh but it's fast, someone says. Heck, if speed were everything, I'd be driving some 700hp Supra like the kids drive. Trust me, they are very fast. Give me a 550 or a 355, no F1 shift please (besides, if one wanted a true F1 shift like in the 2002 Ferrari F1, it would be a full automatic with no driver involvment). I love Ferraris, though I still prefer Porsches. I have always liked Ferraris, though the baggage (driver's) that comes with them I don't particularly care for. Unless we are talking vintage Ferrari. Give me a 365 GTB4, with 6 webers, a screaming loud Colombo V12, a stiff made-for-men shifter, NART bodywork with the big 512S Campagnolos and I'm a happy camper. One just like that still holds the New York-Long Beach speed record. The comparable Porsche to that is the 73 RS. That is the only car. The true sports car. Along with the 993tt, one of the best Porsches ever made and to a lot of people, the best sports car ever made. Enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Ed,

It's been 6 months since I wrote that review. My final feeling after having sold the 550 is that the best part of owning it was looking at it in my garage. Driving wise, it only began to come to life at about 80mph. Going from 80 - 160 was exciting, but how often can you do that. My turbo on the other hand, is a blast to drive regardless of the speed. Much more involving, much faster and quicker, much edgier.

My fondness for the 360 stemmed from the fact that I knew if I bought another Ferrari, I would want one edgier than the 550 - less GT more sports car. I still think the 360's are awfully pricy, so I went old school and bought the RS instead. I can already tell that I will have much more fun with the RS by getting involved with small fix-its, showing it, sharing it with other enthusiasts, etc. It is slow by modern day standards, but it definitely has charm. Happy motoring!

Rob
Old 06-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The RS will be a keeper Rob. Those cars are simply driving in the purest form. To me, the only cars that come close are the original Mini Cooper (not the new pseudo-mini) and Lotus Super 7. Every time a magazine rates the best sports cars ever produced, the Carrera RS 2.7 wins. What I find mind boggling, is how fast they still are. I don't know if they are really slow. About two years ago, one showed up at a time trial we were having and keeping up with a 355 challenge car. The engine was redone to 2.8 and the only other change was 16x9/16x8 (951) fuchs with R tires. And the driver barely knew the track. For an interesting article, go to <a href="http://www.mcp-motorsport.com" target="_blank">www.mcp-motorsport.com</a> and read the comparison between the carrera rs 2.7 and a 964 carrera rs.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:58 PM
UrbanSasquatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RS? So basically, you have the same electrical system as a 73 S, E or T (this is not intended to be damning by comparison!)- check the main board at <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com" target="_blank">www.pelicanparts.com</a> for the "Elec Diagrams" and download the ones for the '73, including the legends. The factory manual should also have them, in color. On the diagrams on the Pelican Board are printed the fuse layout, for both upper and lower boxes. Actually having the box covers doesn't do you THAT much good anyway, because there are a lot of electrical systems that go through the fuse blocks that AREN'T listed on the little paper insert!

So, what specifically is malfunctioning? I have had, at one time or another, the whole damn electrical system of my 1971 911E Club Racer in my grease-stained hands and await your questions.

Good Luck!

John

'71 911E Club Racer #806
'91 Carrera Cabriolet
'01 VW Eurovan Track Support Vehicle
Old 06-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Ed,

Great comparison article you referenced. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2002, 01:11 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Ed,

Great comparison article you referenced. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Just bought a real '73 RS and have a few electrical gremlins. Any ideas?