Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stuck in first

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 01:38 AM
Kevin G
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stuck in first

I was out for a drive and everthing was going fine, shifted into 1st gear at stop sign and couldn't shift into 2nd or any other gear. There was no sign that anything was about to happen. The only things that have felt or sounded wrong in the past were, Shifting from 1st to 2nd in the past was always difficult except when at the right rpm - about 4000, other than that the only other thing I can think of that was happening prior was if I gave to much gas before engaging the clutch in 1st gear the car would shudder. Any assistance would be appreciated. My car is a 79sc w/ 915 transmission

Thanks Kevin 79sc
Old 06-14-2002, 11:22 AM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perform a Search at Pelican for information on this one. I dimly remember that removing the cover from the bottom of your 915 trans. and juggling the shift fork/gear can straighten this out (in fact a loose fork *,ay* have been the source of your current situation). This will entail a refill of your trans fluid and possibly a new gasket at the trans plate depending.

This shift fork BTW can start to loosen from the four studs on which it sits. The studs loosen from the plate, the nuts from the studs, and you are left with a fork that does not crisply move the sliders, etc. It is good practice to remove this plate from the trans if you have never done so and remove the studs, clean the threading, and then (carefully) put the studs back in via the "doubled nut" method, using a blue or green Loctite (NOT red) to secure the studs to plate. Put the fork back on, tighten the nuts and button it back up.

Jw

EDIT: Check this link: <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_Parts/1978-83/3-4.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_Parts/1978-83/3-4.JPG</a>

Note item 5 and the studs therein. Item 6 is the fork proper. You can see how, if this fork becomes loose, problems in shifting can occur.

Quick Reply: Stuck in first