Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leather Dye Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather Dye Experiences

THe black Carrera came home on Wednesday and I'm looking at the little projects I can get out of the way. The Seats. Eventually I'll recover them but for the time being I'm going to re-dye them.

The previous owner dyed (I can tell he changed the color) the seats using a product called Surflex 2 1/2 years ago. Both seats need to be redone but as expected the driver seat needs it more and also has some cracking going on.

I've never heard of Surflex before but have heard about Leatherique. What are the experiences out there with Leatherique and Surflex?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leatherique is an excellent product. I used it on my Mercedes and the results were fantastic. It has been on now for a number of years with little change in appearance. I recently used a product called TautFlex available here in Australia https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ghlight=nyne11 with excellent results also. However as with all these products pay strict attention to preparation. It is the key to a good result.
Dave.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

I used Surflex in my BMW 635csi.

The product did the job. After 4 years, the new paint is still intact. Although some of the big crack started to reappeared even if I did what was recommended.
1- Removed old paint with Lacquer Thinner
2- Cleaner
3- Soffener
4- Flex-fill, to fill the crack.
5- Repaint with Surflex

BTW, it's not dye but leather paint, like Leatherique.

I sent them a sample of the leather taken underneath the back seat and they did a custom color to match what I have.

It's a long process, but what a difference after. Interior looked new.

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the interior after the work.

Ian
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I had a concours level detailer do my seats last fall.

I don't recall what he used, but he is on this board (concours forum) under the handle "RickRack"

the results were great/as new...any sign of bolster wear is gone:
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Ian,
So you didn't have to sand the leather? This is what mine look like after 2 1/2 years...not very good

Name:  right bolster.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  50.2 KBName:  Left bolster.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  56.4 KB

Last edited by salukijac; 03-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You usually have to lightly sand the leather so the paint will adhere. In this case it may be sand>apply crack filler>sand>paint.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Rome
Your seats look amazing...maybe I can find a detailer in Colorado...any suggestions? I've heard of Color Glo.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Hi Jorge,

Sorry, I forgot to mention the sanding step.

1- Color removal or cleaning
2- Sanding using a 320 sandpaper
3- Conditioning and softening
4- Filling cracks
5- Recoloring

It's also recommended to use the softening product every 3 or 4 months. This will prevent the leather from cracking again.

Ian
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Jorge, I went through the whole re-finishing process 18 months ago ( exactly as above ); very time consuming job for a full interior. The initial reuslts were excellent, but other than the low traffic areas of the interior, the finish has been far from durable. It hasn't peeled, but where ever the leather naturally creases, especially on the seats, the surface cracks. Yes, I did sand, use filler etc. and ensure a perfect surface before applying the paint/dye. It is OK for now, but I will be going the re-trim route when money allows. The re-painted finish also goes shiney very quickly.

Mine is a DD, so perhaps cars used less fair better, but considering the claims that the suppliers make for these products, I am not impressed.

PS my seats now look just like those in your pictures.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Actual leather dyes are available in a fairly large number of colors. It is the same type of dyes that the leather tanners use when the finish a hide, then prep, and then dye it the color needed. It is just about as viscous as water, and if the leather is clean, and prepped properly, then applied, it will last. The "paint type" products will look really nice for a while, but then it wears through, rubs off, and can even advance the leather cracking, more than it was before it was re-colored. The dyes can be located at most decent sized leather shops. Almost like, which would you rather use, a rattle can of of spray paint on your tan shoes, to make them black, or would you rather use an actual leather dye that penetrates in to the leather, instead of just sitting on top of it, like most of the leather color coat products are? Good luck with what ever type of product you decide to go with. Tony.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salukijac
Rome
Your seats look amazing...maybe I can find a detailer in Colorado...any suggestions? I've heard of Color Glo.

Thanks-- Check out autopia.com.... it's a detailers site and they can probably refer you to someone...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Leatherique results. (1)Before, (2) after seat bottom cover and bolster panel replacement and (3) after Leatherique.

Attached Images    
Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Any of the dyes referred to will work fine and are a water based acrylic. Almost all cars these days come with surface dyes to begin with. The Porsches definitely fall into that category. I have used Leatherique with excellent results and have wartched professionals refinish interiors as well. As long as the entire process is used: sand, fill cracks, sand, prep, dye, buff, the results are as good as the original. It truly is the same process as body work.

David Nolen
1970 911T
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

So if the Surflex and the Leatherique are considered more of a paint than a dye, is there a dye product out there that can do a better job?

The Color Glo service uses a dye....anyone have any experiences with Color Glo? They guy gave me a $350 ball park figure to do the front two seats. I read somewhere in the Concours forum of Color Glo doing a good job but the job was almost $600. I think they replaced some panels too therefore the higher price.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.colorplus.com/

I'm just throwing this out there. I have used the leatherique black dye on black with good results.

Quick Reply: Leather Dye Experiences