Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Title Issues - I never got one

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Title Issues - I never got one

As some of you know, I purchased my car in early November of last year from a reputable dealership in the same state where I lived (PA). I paid with a bank check and provided all of the appropriate documentation.

Fast forward almost four months and I still do not have the title or permanent registration for the car. This is an issue for multiple reasons: the temp registration is no longer valid, I can't register the car in my new home state, etc.

I've spoken to the dealer in question a few times about this issue. The first excuse was that, because he was not large enough to have a title clerk, he held a number of transactions until he had enough to process. The next excuse I got was that a few transactions had been kicked back due to lack of notarization and I should 'have the documentation shortly'. This was over two weeks ago. My experience with PA is that registrations take less than two weeks to process and receive.

For those who have experience with this, at what point do I take additional measures and what legal recourse do I have to get this situation remedied?

And for those wondering, no, nothing goes smoothly for me.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are BS excuses, have a lawyer write a demand letter for the title. $50 or so.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

what's even more silly is that from a dealer you probably paid some back end fees for title work

F ing dealers, I'm glad they're failing and dropping like flies
Old 03-01-2009, 04:38 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
I purchased my car in early November of last year from a reputable dealership in the same state where I lived (PA).
What dealership was it?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Spot on Mr. Brinkley. Dealers/car saleman............shifty eyes and bad shoes.

Dealers are bonded through the state, if I have my facts right. I would be certain that the individual does not want the state to give him a call.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Originally Posted by dave morris
What dealership was it?
I'd prefer not to say at this time. If you do a search on my previous posts, it'll be easy to come up with.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
desmomini
Track Day

As a former resident of PA, I can say what you already know....titles are processed through private "Auto Tags" storefronts, and sent to Harrisburg for processing. At the time I left the state, there was no facility for "instant" permanent tags - just temporaries.

Now, that said, you can argue for repeated temporaries until you get your permanent.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

Some state agency will have authority on this issue. I'd contact the used car comission or what that may be called in PA. That is a clear cut violation.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Biden Auto Sales?

Could be he doesn't have the title. Could be the bank that finances his inventory has it and he is using the cash from your purchase as operating money. This should be a lesson to everyone. If you pay with cash or a cash equivalent to a used car dealer don't leave without the title.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would seriously not mess around with the dealer, if he/she doesn't have the title or paid his/her lien off, or something fishy is happening, your car could get repo'd in very short order. I have seen this happen to a ducati.
Could also be a genuine foul up at the state level and not the dealers fault. But to get the truth from the dealer you need outside help, lawyer. I've done this before. Don't mess around with him or her unless you trust them.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd look and see how much time that a seller has to report a sale. It should be defined. Armed with that, you may want to call him and remind him that as a licensed dealer in PA, he has to conform with the law to keep his license. If his response isn't satisfactory, contact the DMV and report on the situation.

The squeaky wheel, in the eyes of the dealer, should get the grease, unless there is a problem with the title.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been hearing about dealers going under without paying off the loans on trade-ins as they were supposed to. They re-fi the trade-ins or worse, do nothing and upon going belly up, you, the old owner now owe the balance of the loan for a car that not only you don't have, but that may have been sold to some third party.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

I've contacted an attorney friend of mine for advice (he purchased a car from the same party) and will be calling the PA DOT tomorrow to determine what course of action I need to take.

He did have the title when I purchased the car so I'm hoping there's not an issue with a lien on the car. This guy is pretty well-respected and promotes that he owns all of the cars on his lot so let's all cross our fingers that he is, indeed, just unable to get his act together.

I'll report further progress....
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a car salesman and I wear some pretty nice shoes. PA should have a time limit on dealers to transfer title, I know Minnesota does, 14 days. +1 on call the state DMV/DOT and raise hell.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Brian F.
Instructor

Genripper is spot on correct. The DMV takes a very dim view of Title sckullduggery.

(I too am one of your fellow Rennlisters who inhabit the shadowy underworld of automobile sales, and yet, in spite of blanket condemnation, willing to dispense advice when needed)

Brian

16 years with Jaguar and Land Rover

Quick Reply: Title Issues - I never got one