Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Diagnose this engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
dmw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose this engine problem

I know nothing about this 1985 911 except this. What do you think the problem is? Oil overfilled?

"......when it warms up, she smokes???? It starts off with nothing and after a few driving a few minutes it starts slowy smoke and graduley get to the point of slightly embarassing but it's still ok because your drivinga sweet 911! You can shut it off wait ten minutes and the process starts all over again??? The thing is it runs smooth and all gages show normal (I think?? plenty of pressure and oil level is full). Our local mechanic who is the "euro" guy around here says it does not sound internal like rings or anything? The car is perfectly good to run and drive down the road but should probably be trailered until the problem is identified but I am driving it around now under the advice to get some miles on it too see if it burns off."
Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To check oil level:
1. Car must be near or at full operating temp
2. Car must be sitting level
3. Car must be idling
4. Using the dipstick under the filler cap verify that the level is at about the mid-point between the min and max marks on the stick.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be an oil leak somewhere dropping oil on the heat exchanger someplace. Is the oil smoke coming diectly out of the tail pipe or is it eminating from someplace under or around the engine?

Would explain why it starts to smoke only once it warms up, and if oil level is truly correct.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car did exactly the same thing for a while, after it got warm then it started smoking. It started doing this rather suddenly, then after a few days it stopped. I think you just got some oil in the intake and it takes a a few days of driving to burn it all.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 81 Targa did that too after I changed the oil lines, I swear I have no idea how oil could have gotten to some of the places it did.

If it's a one time thing, it will burn off, however continual smoke would indicate a recurring leak.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I know the car you talking about, on craigslist in Iowa. Don't buy that car something is wrong with it. Why would seller spend all that money to repaint it and not look at the engine which obviously has a problem?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
dmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
I know the car you talking about, on craigslist in Iowa. Don't buy that car something is wrong with it. Why would seller spend all that money to repaint it and not look at the engine which obviously has a problem?
That's the one. The price is so tempting...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmw
That's the one. The price is so tempting...
Buy a nice for a little bit more money!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
dmw
Instructor

I need to add garage space and a lift first. I am 2 years out. This would have been a flipper but I'm afraid of a money pit.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

If the smoke starts after it warms up and its coming from the tail pipe, given the age of the car, and the issue with 3.2 engines- bad valve guide/s? I would let the car cool down for an hour, then take out the spark plugs and check to see if there is oil residue in each cylinder. My car had this issue when I bought it, and the owner reduced the price down enough for a decent valve job.

-Joseph
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Enzosurfer
1st Gear

Hello everyone, newbie here!

I have just recently began my quest for a 911. I had made up my mind to get an SC but I am open to suggestion. I am not afraid to tackle my own motor work as I have restored old bikes and rebuilt my old honda prelude.

That aside, I too saw this ad on CL. The car is only 30 miles from me and I planned on taking a look at it tomorrow. Question, is it better to spend a little more now or later? If any one els is interested I can take some pics of the car and gather more info. What should I be looking for.

I just came across this site today, and after reading a few posts, ordered a copy of Pete's book! I also ordered The essential Companion, and the Performance Handbook.Going to do all the homework I can.

Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to becoming a paid member and 911 owner.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Enzo you are doinf it the right way by doing your research. Definitely you are better spending a little more now and getting a clean car that has passed a PPI . 911 engines can become money pits VERY quickly even if you can do a lot of the work yourself.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
dmw
Instructor

Enzo - how did it look?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmw
I need to add garage space and a lift first. I am 2 years out. This would have been a flipper but I'm afraid of a money pit.
Flipping these cars is difficult. You really just have to drive them and enjoy them. As tempting as this car is I think you are making the right decision by not purchasing it. The 3.2's are a great buy right now prices are good for a nice one that should run well for a long time. There are always great examples here for sale.

Quick Reply: Diagnose this engine problem