Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911sc vs Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks a lot. I need to drive each one of these to compare? I ordered the Pete Zimmerman book. What is an average price for a 911 SC coupe under 50K miles, and 87-89 Carrera under 35K Miles. Just so I know approximately what I'm going to spend.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riz
Thanks a lot. I need to drive each one of these to compare? I ordered the Pete Zimmerman book. What is an average price for a 911 SC coupe under 50K miles, and 87-89 Carrera under 35K Miles. Just so I know approximately what I'm going to spend.
You're gonna pay a real premium for cars of those super low mileages. And they are getting extremely rare. Any reason you are looking for so low mileage?

The best bit of wisdom I got when buying was that "all 911s are $20K cars." (or possibly $25K cars).

Meaning that if you buy a $10K 911, you should plan to spend $10K fixing it up. If you buy one that's already well sorted out for $19K, you may only spend $2K or so.

But it seems many of us have indeed come close to that $20 - 25K number from what I've read on Rennlist.

So here's my story as a basis of comparison:

Bought in August 2007 when the prices were still going up
87 Carerra Cabriolet, 113K miles. Paid $16,700
Avg to above avg interior.
Avg exterior but like new soft top.
ONE OWNER!
Needed new tie rods, and a few minor things.

I did this work myself: valve adjustment, fuel filter, diff.cap, plugs, air filter, oil change, tranny fluid change, brake flush, flexi brake lines, front trunk and rear deck stuts (the small hydraulics that hold the lids open), cylinder head temperature sensor, CV boot, Bilstein strut inserts (i.e.shocks)
Not sure of the price of the parts. I guess I spent about $1500 on all that stuff.

I had a mechanic install the new clutch after a few months $2500
(missed on the PPI because it had intermittant and unusual signs)

Had to replace leaking fuel lines $1000

Thus $16,700 + $1500 + $2500 + $1000 = $21,700

There ya go. All 911s are $20-25K cars. So when you find one for $15K, budget another $5K for repairs and upgrades.

And of course, the above doesn't include the optional extra stuff I've done.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not really mechanically inclined. I guess I want a garage queen. I don't mind waiting for the right low mileage car.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

One potential snag on garage queen's is that they may not have enough miles for a problem to fully manifest itself. But, there is nothing like a low mile, pristine car.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars don't like to sit, and potential garage queens can be just a pricey (if not more) than the fixes mentioned above.

If you're not looking for a concourse/show car, but just want a decent-looking driver that doesn't need much attention, my advice would be to look for a car that has had a recent top-end engine overhaul, tranny rebuilt and its suspension addressed (bushings, shocks, torsion bars, sway bars).

For an SC, you can find those cars in the high teens every now and again, for Carreras, you can find them in the low 20's. But who knows in this market, you can maybe find a steal out there.

Don't let high(er) miles scare you away.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
One potential snag on garage queen's is that they may not have enough miles for a problem to fully manifest itself. But, there is nothing like a low mile, pristine car.
In addition, garage queens are often very poorly maintained. They get lots of love, but in many cases that love (like winter start-ups followed by ten minutes of idling, being washed but not driven after, etc.) is all the wrong kind of love that does more harm than good.

Originally Posted by Rick K
These cars don't like to sit, and potential garage queens can be just as pricey (if not more) than the fixes mentioned above.

If you're not looking for a concourse/show car, but just want a decent-looking driver that doesn't need much attention, my advice would be to look for a car that has had a recent top-end engine overhaul, tranny rebuilt and its suspension addressed (bushings, shocks, torsion bars, sway bars).

For an SC, you can find those cars in the high teens every now and again, for Carreras, you can find them in the low 20's. But who knows in this market, you can maybe find a steal out there.

Don't let high(er) miles scare you away.
What Rick says makes sense. I've seen many cases when a 125K mile car has had almost nothing done to it, but a similar condition car with 150K miles has had most, or all, of what Rick mentioned above already done. That could make the car with more miles the better of the two cars.

Essentially, there's no right answer, every car that you look at must be treated as an individual. The newest SC is now more than 25 years old. That may be hard to believe because they dont "look" like old cars, but there have been plenty of opportunities for each and every one of them to have been somehow messed up.

PPI, PPI, PPI + service records if possible...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
porsche4us

I think there is a certain experience and interest with owning a garage queen. Last summer I acquired an '87 Cab with 33k original miles. I think it really depends on the example you are looking at. I agree that some garage queen cars were looked after much better than others. Your really have to do your homework before you pull the trigger. I don't think my '87 is any less reliable than when it left Stuttgart 22 years ago, despite it sitting around for months at a time. The engine and garage floor are completely dry, even though it has been sitting since November, and oil consumption is within factory specs. If the car is driven enough during the rest of the year, and is properly wintered and cared for, I think you will find a garage queen as every bit as reliable and enjoyable to drive as one that has been driven regularly.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche4us
I think there is a certain experience and interest with owning a garage queen. Last summer I acquired an '87 Cab with 33k original miles. I think it really depends on the example you are looking at. I agree that some garage queen cars were looked after much better than others. Your really have to do your homework before you pull the trigger. I don't think my '87 is any less reliable than when it left Stuttgart 22 years ago, despite it sitting around for months at a time. The engine and garage floor are completely dry, even though it has been sitting since November, and oil consumption is within factory specs. If the car is driven enough during the rest of the year, and is properly wintered and cared for, I think you will find a garage queen as every bit as reliable and enjoyable to drive as one that has been driven regularly.
Absolutely correct. My point was that, even when considering a garage queen, one still has to be careful. Never assume; (1) that the brake fluid has been replaced every 2-3 years (it probably hasn't), (2) that the brake hoses were replaced at 10-years, and 20-years (they probably weren't), (3) that the head studs aren't broken (especially on '78-81 SCs), (4) that the fuel has been properly cared for (odds are good the stabilizer was forgotten a couple of times), (5) that the A/C has been maintained and actually is leak free and works (95%+ chance that it isn't and doesn't), (6) that the condition of the grease in the front wheel bearings hasn't deteriorated into a semi-hard lump (it probably has never been checked), (7) that the tires aren't flat-spotted (some tires are more susceptible to this than others), etc.

Gotta be careful out there!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
djk_wff
5th Gear

Excellent post ! very worthy...

It makes me feel good that I have my '88 Carrera, and it runs like a dream!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Jeremy75
2nd Gear

Hey, new to the site. Love the 911 and am looking forward to good dialogue

Last edited by Jeremy75; 02-19-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: sorry about the link
Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

WTF kind of link is that? I'm on my phone, so maybe I'm missing a flash, but I see "Porsche giveaway". Is this a Troll posting? If so, go elsewhere. Learn to spell site too.

Originally Posted by Jeremy75
Hey, new to the sight. Love the 911 and am looking forward to good dialogue

Jeremy
Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Jeremy75
2nd Gear

Sorry, can't spell very well. I just linked a site to my name.. won't happen again.

All the best

Jeremy
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

jeremy do you have a 911 ? post some pics so we can see . Welcome aboard
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I may've been harsh-sorry for the critique on the spelling. But, the site link was tacky. Since you only had the 1 post, it looked like a troll post to me. Seems like there've been a few on Pelican of late.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always kinda liked the "86 models. Still a 915, but has the updated axles and various small stuff in the suspension and motor that made it a great blend of old/new. '86 was a unique year in the details. I will try to find some of those details in my notes, unless someone here has them in their head.
Pete really summed it up well though.

Quick Reply: 911sc vs Carrera