Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 AM
kallberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?

Zim's book is on the way from Amazon and I am looking for my first 911.
I keep telling myself that it is not a good idea to buy the one car that I have held on the pedestal for so many years, as a daily driver because it will only let me down.
I dont want to buy one and have to constantly pour money that I dont have into it. I dont make that much, so I am afraid she will put me in over my head. Am I over thinking this? I am very mechanically inclined (motorcycle mechanic for 10years) so the labor is not an issue.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 AM
RS 197
Pro

I have driven a 911 every day since I was 21.... 18 years... My biggest repair bill was $600 for a air conditioner belt and compressor on my 86 911....All other repairs have been general wear items....

Figure $300-$400 a year and you will be in great shape...If you can wrench much less....

These cars are wonderfull... Just start with a good one and they will never let you down.

I would recomend a well maintained 964. They are great cars, a great value that should hold over time.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:50 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Joe, we are the same age. I also have driven 911s every single day, but probably since around 2000 or so. I have driven 911s on and off since I was 16. I took my drivers permit test in a 914-6.

Kallberg, I won't tell you that Porsches are cheap. I can say that if you are wise then you can go a long way with a Porsche. If you want to be really cheap, then don't make it your only car that you can drive. That way if something goes wrong, you can take your time looking for used replacement parts or go for a rebuild. That is the absolutely cheapest way to go. Otherwise you'll be paying extra to get stuff fast in order to be back on the road. Try PMing Randy Webb. He always comes up with good fixes for his 911 that don't break the bank.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure you are ready for your dream. However, decent 911s are out there right now for around 11,000.00. If you want to be sure that no major repairs are looming on the horison, get one that has had a valve job and head studs already done, and has the Carrera tensioners. Make sure it shifts well.

Worst case scenario, you drop it into first instead of third, and the car is still worth about 4,000.00. If you were considering a 928 as your dream DD, I would say do not do it, they are too needy. If you think you need AC, I would say dont do it, you will be disapointed. WHat I will say is that you should have a reliable Miata or Honda beater to dive if you have a problem that would sideline the 911 for a couple of days. That would be your financial safety net.

If you cannot afford a 911 and a beater, don't do it. If you have no financial buffer, don't do it. You don't seem to have that attitude that says that you are bound and determined to have a Porsche, and nothing will deter you. Your letter sounds like you know you are not ready, and you know you need to put more money in the bank to feel responsible and prepared.

I have been looking for a 911 to replace the one I had a few years ago. I eventually found a fixer upper for about 8 grand. It had zero drips from the engine, and a real solid body. It drove out OK, slight pull on the brakes. I passed on it, as it was going to be more of a project than a more expensive car.

They are out there. Read up on 911s, and do your homework before you buy. After is too late.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're even the slightest bit unsure of your ability to afford the car, then DON'T DO IT. It will empty your bank account and then you'll end up selling it anyway. These are very reliable cars, but only if every part on the car is in good working order and does not need replacement anytime soon. A car like that is going to be expensive to buy. If you can do most of the work yourself you'll save a lot of money, but parts are super expensive.

Read Zimmerman's book before deciding ANYTHING.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

+1 to all above.

I have had my 911 for 20 yrs. drove it a lot over the years and now has >120K. I did have to have the tranny rebuilt, synchros, and the valve guides ( read my story in 'only good mouse is a dead mouse' thread).

in addition to all of the above comments, the other temptaion you will face is doing upgrades. up to around 85K the car was stock and it was only normal maintenance. it was reaching the point of needing some of the expensive attention and I had just gone to my first DE.

so then began the upgrades: brakes, suspention, wheels, tires, exhaust, cams, etc. etc. I am now in the process of getting a bolt in roll cage and racing seats for the upcoming track season.

last fall I got an 84 928S for my semi-daily driver since my 911 has become more of a track car and harsh on the street. and I have always had a truck as my real daily driver and my wife has her own car.

I LOVE both of my Porsches. good luck on your soul searching. it sounds like you have picked up the 'infection'. once the Porsche (or fixation on other performance cars) disease has infected you, there is no cure but to get one.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Disagree with Daniel. Cant buy a well sorted 911 that wouldn't have issues for 11k. Every 911 is a 20k car... Most well sorted 82-83 SC cars are 13-15k and most well sorted 84-89's are 15-18k cars and you will still spend some in year 1 to knock any bugs out. If you dont have 2k in emergency funds then i wouldnt buy it... I would advise against buying an 11k 911.

Last edited by Brads911sc; 02-13-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by RS 197
I have driven a 911 every day since I was 21.... 18 years... My biggest repair bill was $600 for a air conditioner belt and compressor on my 86 911....All other repairs have been general wear items....

Figure $300-$400 a year and you will be in great shape...If you can wrench much less....

These cars are wonderfull... Just start with a good one and they will never let you down.

I would recomend a well maintained 964. They are great cars, a great value that should hold over time.

Good luck.
18yrs and no top end rebuild everyone keeps talking about? Wow!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
kallberg
Advanced

I already have the dd taken care of. A trusty 82 Toyota Corolla Wagon
And Daniel your right, I do sound like I am not ready. It is something I think about every night before bed. My first 911. Have for almost 20yrs. Im 32 now.
Im afraid if I dont get one now, then after we start a family, it will be that much longer before I get the chance to buy one again. :'(
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stop thinking. screw the fear. buy one & get on with it.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ked
stop thinking. screw the fear. buy one & get on with it.
+1

I have been driving them since 1996 when I could afford to finance one

Drive them hard and on a daily basis... life is to short to drive a boring car.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
...Just start with a good one...
This is really the key if you're concerned about it draining your bank account. Search the boards, read the books, do your research, and get a thorough PPI on anything you are serious about. Buy right and it will treat you right.

Are you looking for a particular year? Do you have a budget range?

I agree with others...do it now and you'll never regret it. You'll regret waiting.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 PM
dan79brooklyn
Advanced

Go for it...I have owned a 911 since 2005, first an SC and now a 964. Both are fun and reliable and did not cost too much to maintain...My $4000 BMW 2002 (first car) was much more expensive to run.
Get it checked out by a professional and keep $1000 in reserve for surprise repairs.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All above is good advice. Just buy the newest one you can afford. It will still be 20 grand. Owning one of these cars requires you keep your head on straight. They are not user friendly to begin with. Then you drive it for a while and you realize that nothing quite "fits like a glove" like a 911. I recommend a coupe. drive the ***** off of it as often as possible. Oh, did anyone say start with a good one...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It's mostly all been said up above. BUT, and this is BIG, if you're concerned about the cash outlay-only buy a car you can purchase outright. It pains me when I read about guys who are on a shoestring making a monthly payment, and then get hit with a big $ repair. One should not finance "20-something" year old cars.

Oh, and stay away from the tracks.....you'll go over the edge, and it does get expensive. But, what fun!

Quick Reply: Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?