'74 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Dan,...

Actually, thats not quite true,....

'74 cars had galvanized bottom's and sills. Its important to maintain some perspective about this process and all the other cars. This simply means such protection doesn't last the life of the car since the zinc is a sacrificial material in the process.

I've seen some serious corrosion issues on 964/993 cars so I've learned to judge each car on its own merits.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K lads, I just walked in the door from looking at the '74 sunroof (that wouldn't close) coupe. Bottoms of the doors and the joints between the front fenders and the windshield, trunk lip all had enough bubbles to star on a Lawrence Welk show.
The bottom look solid and the doors did shut well. Someone had put in a 3.0. Paint was D.O.A.
Could have bought it for 7K. I thought it to much. I think 5 would have been more spot on.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cal44
...had enough bubbles to star on a Lawrence Welk show..
LOL!

The 3.0 is good news, but...really...run, Forest, run..
Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cal44
O.K lads, I just walked in the door from looking at the '74 sunroof (that wouldn't close) coupe. Bottoms of the doors and the joints between the front fenders and the windshield, trunk lip all had enough bubbles to star on a Lawrence Welk show.
The bottom look solid and the doors did shut well. Someone had put in a 3.0. Paint was D.O.A.
Could have bought it for 7K. I thought it to much. I think 5 would have been more spot on.
More like $1500 - you'll need some tools to take it apart and part it out!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
More like $1500 - you'll need some tools to take it apart and part it out!
Wow, Pete! Kind of harsh. The 3.0 should be worth $4,000. Four bolt and that baby lands softly on the spare mattress and is ready for the 4Sale sign.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

It was interesting to view the car. Since I have mid 80's Carreras (one for sale) it was nice to see simplicity. Of course in my mind I am creating an RS with correct flares and a carbureted 3.2. for my German hot rod. Guess I'll just have to wait it out. I had a fellow offer to sell me a '75 Carrera but the facts and figures are not in as of yet. Of course the reference I head to is the "Mr. Zs Bible of Porsches", for a refresher. So I am thinking.....sell a darn near perfect '84 coupe to do what? And because of my lack of talent, to spend an additional what......$20K to $30K. Is it really worth the trouble? Hmmmmmm......
Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
Wow, Pete! Kind of harsh.
Not really. To part a car you have to assign a cost per square foot to the space it will occupy. You have to calculate tow charges, time away from your day job/family time for dis-assembly and marketing (including dealing with eBay bargain hunters, etc.), as well as having the local highway patrol look at the car to make sure none of the numbers fall into the suspicious file.

Then you have to deal with the mess involved, trips to the hazardous waste site with drain oil, the old battery, trans oil, brake fluid, etc. When you've got about everything stripped from the carcass that might have value you've either got total chaos in your garage, or you've spent $2500 for a small storage building, or you've invested at least a couple hundred dollars in shelving.

Then you have to buy, up front, shipping/packing materials, and you have to pay to have the carcass taken away to the dump.

If you pay $1500 for the car you might be able to squeeze a small profit from the project, maybe enough for a pearl necklace for the significant other just to prove to her that her car has to sit outside at night is all worth it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
931GT
Instructor

In this current economy you should be able to pick up a decent SC for 9.5K.

Quick Reply: '74 Buying Advice