Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'74 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '74 Buying Advice

I am a current 944 owner thinking about taking the leap towards a 911. I currently have my eye on an 1974 911 Coupe.

I am still contacting the owner for more info, but this is what I know so far.

-2.7 Litre engine with 1500 miles on rebuild, tires, brakes, and clutch.
-Updates include Carrera chain tensioners, new external oil cooler, turbo valve covers, dilvar studs, timeserts.
-Car has spent the past 15 years primarily in storage. Driven monthly.
-Small oil leak from intermediate shaft seal.
-Some small spots of rust in battery tray and wheel well.
-Redone apholstry. Carerra RS door panels.
-Red with black interior.

I have not found out total mileage at this point. Owner is asking $7500.

The photos indicate that this car is in 'good' condition. My only hesitation at this point is the 2.7L engine. It appears that the owner has done all the required upgrates. However, in everyone's honest opinion, what is the longevity of the 2.7L even with upgrades and overhaul.

Also, do you think the asking price is fair. The car has spent most of its life in Virginia.

The search function does not appear to be working currently. Can anyone point to a specific thread the covers the '944 to 911' topic.

Thanks,
-bp
Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself Peter Zimmerman's Book, it will save you alot of time and money.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

IMHO,......IF,.........If the 2.7 is properly built,....and IF a car has a front oil cooler, these engines are every bit as good and durable as any aluminum-cased one.

Its all about "execution",...
Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Steve, a properly done 2.7 is a lovely car to drive. What I'm having trouble with is why would someone who owns a car put $10K in the engine, another $1500 in the clutch, $600 in tires, who knows how much in the rest of it, and then sell it for $7500? Odd, very odd.

Receipts first, then a PPI! Click the "Search" button on your tool bar, type "The Pre-Purchase Inspection by Peter Zimmermann" in the box, then scroll the choices until you find that article.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner states that he did the overhaul work himself. So the cost of the upgrades probably don't include labor. Hopefully he is technically capable. He realizes the hit he is taking, but needs to sell the car.

Peter, it is nice to meet you. I was taking a look at where to find your 911 book this morning. Do any large book retailers carry your book in-stock or must I order it from amazon?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SalzundPfeffer

Peter, it is nice to meet you. I was taking a look at where to find your 911 book this morning. Do any large book retailers carry your book in-stock or must I order it from amazon?

Thank you! The book can be purchased directly from the publisher - RPM Autobooks (888) 237-4359. Cheers!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a really good deal. So much that it makes me suspicious. But if it checks out ok, go for it. I love my '74.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't agree more with Pete. A well sorted 2.7 is a blast to drive. I always liked the 74 model years as well. there are some nice '74 carreras out there that seemed so under-rated and under-priced, but I think the market is catching up with them these days. You can really have a lot of fun with a 2.7. The rest of the car should definitly be taken into consideration. I hate the sound of rust in the wheel well and battery tray. I would also be cautious of the owner-rebuilt engine. There is really no magic rebuilding one of those engines, but it is not really a father/son project either. Like Steve said-"execution is everything". Good luck.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Sounds like a really good deal. So much that it makes me suspicious. But if it checks out ok, go for it. I love my '74.
...love my '74, too!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Just have someone check for more "hidden" rust.

I almost picked up a real nice 74 Targa (ex-california car)but after an inspection by a third party we found poor rust repair in the inner rear fenders near the tailights, bondo on the lower door corners and rust inder the rear seats after looking underneath and the front frame near the battery.

I had cash in hand and was glad to take a step back and have someone else take a look even though I checked it out and test drove it three times.

Then again $7,500 might seems like a good deal if everything checks out after the PPI.

John
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I have thought about buying a G50 Carrera at some point, but I never really considered a 911 as old as a '74 until I saw this photo. That is a seriously beautiful car, and I love the ducktail! Let the hunt begin
Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I am glad this came up. I will be looking at a '74 Coupe this weekend, if it doesn't rain. The asking is 9K. I will need to sharpen my eye while looking for rust and wrinkles. If I can make one suggestion to the Kramer poster. Get the car under some good floresent lights in a garage, it shows everything, at least on top.
Doug and Julie.......that is a little stunner of a car. I would enjoy seeing more pics of the '74 Coupes. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pix on Rennlist. I have given up.

P.S, A note to whomever owns Rennlist. Hire someone that makes it easier to post pix. Here is a tip, go to Pelican or the 356 Registry and find out who their I.T guy is and hire him. Cut, Paste, Add.....paaalllllees. This isn't the year 2000. I'm to dumb to figure it out how to post pix....you fix it.

Last edited by cal44; 02-13-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the kind comments guys! All due credit goes to the PO on it's looks / condition. I'm actually making some changes to make it more "mine" than his. We removed the script and modern "911" badge from the back. I was going to remove the spoilers as well, but this one little change makes such a big difference, I may keep them.

(Mike, got your PM...I'll send some more from work on Monday)

To post photos...click the "Post Reply" button at the top or bottom left of each thread...a new dialog box will come up...below it is "Additional Options"...click the "Manage Attachments" button...you can upload photos from there. They can't be huge, but most file formats work.

Anywho...some pics of the car shortly after purchase.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Thank you Doug. The potential buyer for my 356 called and backed out, something about the economy. I still want to go see the '74 in our area. After seeing Dougs car I am smitten............
Lets see if my picture worked.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It sounds like much of the right things were done to that 74. The only detractor for a 911S from 1974 is lack of galvanized body panels,--that came about a year later. Watch for rust signs.

Quick Reply: '74 Buying Advice