Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SSI/ Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no such thing as a cookie cutter solution to engines and exhaust for sure.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I use European Racing Headers and a M&K muffler. The set up is very light and quiet. The car registers 94 dB measured 50' on the right of the exit of T5 at Laguna Seca. I have not compared other headers and mufflers on an engine dyno. My 3.0 L motor has PMO's and a very mild motor. This combination has a very nice hp and torque curve on a chassis dyno. The M&K muffler is very light, saving allot of weight versus a Dansk. You don't need heat for a track car do ditch the SSI's. Steve Weiner can provide you with the exhaust. I got mine from M&K and Smart Racing Products, who also make the Phase 9 mufflers.
I did not realize that srp had them, thanks for the info. What mufflers are you running? I see the Phase 9 on the site, do these differ from the M&K much? Also, do you have a picture of the underside/ rear of your car?

Thanks for the info.

Greg
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going to the shop today and I will try to take some pictures.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

I didn't get out to see my car yesterday. Simply too much to do.

The Phase 9 mufflers are conical and fit one per side. They were designed on an engine dyno and thus come in several sizes.

The M&K is a cylindrical one size fits all muffler. I chose the M&K simply out of budget constraints at the time. The motor previously had SSI's and a Dansk muffler. The Dansk weighs allot. I would NOT put it on a track car for this reason alone.

My next motor will be tuned on an engine dyno and use appropriately sized headers and Phase 9's.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 PM
bobiandola
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my car die when i take off the oil fill cap

its a 1985 911 carrera and i just had a set of ssi s put on and the eng vac lines to tank were changed also. so i go to check the oil level while its running pull the cap and it sputters and dies .I was told that if i installed a chip that was flashed to euro specs it should take care of this as well as it hunting at idle .any ideas out there?this car is all stock .
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

If you install a chip, you don't immunize yourself from anything. If your ICV is sticky, it will hunt. You probably need to adjust idle settings too, as that could cause a hunt.

Quick Reply: SSI/ Exhaust Questions