Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1983 Sc repaint help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 1983 Sc repaint help

I'm about to do a complete re-paint on my '83 Sc as it is now various shades of white. I had been told that the original white was Gran Prix white but doing a search I have found that the white for 1983 was instead called Alpine white color code L90E. Now the question, does anyone have a car painted this color and would they please post a picture. Also is it whiter than say Gran Prix white ie closer to Carrera white? Since I'm going to the trouble and expense why not get the color authentic. Thanks

A picture of my Sc and its shades of white
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May i ask how much the quote was and what work it entails?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I have an '83 that is Grand Prix White from the factory. Yours looks really bright in that picture, hard to tell for sure with it getting so much glare from the sun.

Here is mine...full sun...

Partial shade...

Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Let me just say and this is before we get into the car, that we hope to keep it under $6000. The plan is to remove all the glass, the doors and the hood and engine lid. Perhaps even loosen the bolts for the front fenders. There are two small dents, on e each in two fenders and the front bottom of the passenger door need a little work. We will also drop the engine and front and rear bumpers. As you read we will re-paint it white as that is the original color. When re-assembling we will use all new rubber for window and door seal as well as apply new decals for the door and engine area. I will clean up the engine itself while it is out.

Why so much, since I plan to keep the car and pass it on to my son ( he will be 40 next week) I want to make sure there is no rust and if so correct it. I admit that is more than most would do on a car that is not going to be concurs but it is my toy right now. the suspension has been upgraded as well as the interior. Just a great fun car to drive
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
A picture of my Sc and its shades of white
Pretty car, love the ducktail.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

it is always difficult to tell shades of white from pictures. But reallyif your going original it doesn't much matter what it looks like , you will paint it the colour from your door post decal . it is on your drivers door post at the front. The code is there.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
cmoss

Very nice! BTW Is it a sun roof delete?

Oh and...

And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale
that her face, at first just ghostly,
turned a whiter shade of pale
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments. To Flatsixnut, what a great looking SC WOW
To Cmoss I don't have a paint code decal anywhere on the car. I am at least the fourth owner and there have been several partial re-paints. The car has been tracked by several owners and therefore on several occasions bruised.

It started out as a Euro spec Sc and let's just say has been "embelished" It sports a DAS roll bar, Recaro competition seats, Simpson 5 point restraints a Momo wheel and RS door panels and lightweight carpeting. The suspension has improved including adjustable sway bars front and rear as well as Koni adjustable shocks and a front upper strut bar. Thje Euro spec motor is strong and includes an improved exhaust. Lightweight RS (or IROC style) front and rear bumpers as well as a fiberglass (Getty) ducktail deck lid are installed. I have owned it about a year and as mentioned above want to do the through paint job to make sure it is solid. I have kept the power windows, outside mirrors and the sunroof and yes it has a radio with a cd Hi. Having driven Porsches since the mid sixties I love the air cooled. That said it does share a stable with our '09 Carrera S. Two totally different cars and each provides significant pleasure to this old guy. Now back to get it ready for new paint. thanks to all.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

wow that is surprising . the door post one is usually there eve after several repaints
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member

Where are you located? We specialize in affordable quality repaint/restorations on only Porsche cars. We are currently doing an 89 cab, 88 951 and a 928s4 with more on schedule. Contact me if I can be of service.
Kevin
Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael
Where are you located? We specialize in affordable quality repaint/restorations on only Porsche cars. We are currently doing an 89 cab, 88 951 and a 928s4 with more on schedule. Contact me if I can be of service.
Kevin

Kevin: I appreciate your offer but you are a little far. I'm locatred outside San Antonio Texas. No snow but we need rain badly.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet car. My buddy has an '81 SC that is a euro model with 3.2 Andial/Jerry Woods/bad *** CIS injected motor that puts about 240hp to the ground. With stripped interior, lexan windows and Boxster brakes, this old crusty euro car will hurt a lot of 3.6 on the track. Sounds like a small block chevy idling.
Anyway, your car looks like the kind of car that has a lot of character. As for Gran Prix white, I remember that has a lot of yellow in it. Same thing used by Volkswagen and Audi by the same name. I could be wrong.
Also, If you are going to that much trouble I would suggest a headliner at the same time. Also while your in there........ dash. 6k goes away quick with these cars. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At second glance, those fuchs look like 8s and 9s. Get that thing lowered another inch and You will have a true 911.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Sweet car. My buddy has an '81 SC that is a euro model with 3.2 Andial/Jerry Woods/bad *** CIS injected motor that puts about 240hp to the ground. With stripped interior, lexan windows and Boxster brakes, this old crusty euro car will hurt a lot of 3.6 on the track. Sounds like a small block chevy idling.
Anyway, your car looks like the kind of car that has a lot of character. As for Gran Prix white, I remember that has a lot of yellow in it. Same thing used by Volkswagen and Audi by the same name. I could be wrong.
Also, If you are going to that much trouble I would suggest a headliner at the same time. Also while your in there........ dash. 6k goes away quick with these cars. Good luck.
Headliner and dash are great. I do have 7's and 8's with cup tires for Auto X and DE but the ones on the car are 6's and 7's. Looking for 2 8's so I can run 7's and 8's all the time.

And yes there is a tint of Yellow in Gran Pris white and I want to avoid that. I may go Carrera White and or Alpine white.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Talking Consider a COA

Most of the time, a Certificate of Authenticity will give you the original color and paint code. BTW, Porsche is known for meeting customer's wishes in almost any way possible including custom colors. Even if Grand Prix white wasn't available in 1983 (which I doubt) someone could have paid a little extra when they ordered it and got Grand Prix white.

I've seen several guys post that they preferred getting their cars painted with Glasurit paint (that's what the factory uses). I agree with Ice. If you're going to paint it the original color, it doesn't matter what other cars look like. The original color with the level of preparation you propose should look stunning. Be sure to post pics when it's done.

Quick Reply: 1983 Sc repaint help