Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Window Frames - anodized?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Tim K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Window Frames - anodized?

I've got a set of chrome coupe window frames that I would like to refinish in the post 78 1/2 black, but I'd like to do it properly. Is this a matte anodized finish? If so is there a specification I can supply the plaiters with to achieve the same results?
Old 05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Tim, I have that trim on my 80 SC, and it is anodized. You might want to concider going to the finish that they replaced it with ( painted or powder coat? ) on the later Carreras. The anodized didn't hold up well in the sun. And as some pieces are aluminum and the frames steel the finish would fail unevenly.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to re-finish mine too.
Maybe there is a better process now that would hold up?
Cheers
Old 05-12-2003, 01:08 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

The best way to get a black finish is to have it powder coated. Anodize will fade from the sun. Have the chrome stripped off and then powder coat it.You'll love it.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Tim K
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I've had lots of stuff powder coated before (usually semi-gloss black), on stuff like suspension parts, misc. brackets, etc. but I've found that some of the stuff I get back is slightly orange peely. Not a big deal when it's under the car. I've always used the same place, is it possibly the process these guys are using? If I can count on a good finish, the durability is hard to beat. What kind of finish are you guys getting?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:19 AM
RoninLB
Pro

I was thinking of satin black powder coat for my moldings..........Ron
Old 05-14-2003, 10:52 AM
gerry100
Pro

A liitle off topic, but how hard is it to remove/replace the window trim you speak of.

I'd like to pop off the black trim on my '86 to investigate two little paint bubbles coming out from underneath.

Any advice appreciated.

By the way, the black finish the factory used on mine has help up great.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:39 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

fight with this one all the time too. I've tried flat black trim paint (including all the prep work of stripping old paint, lightly sanding with 1500 paper...not to mention papering and taping, ugh), but after the first couple of washes, the paint starts to chip. So any guidance on how to remove the trim would indeed be useful.

Joe
79SC Coupe
Old 05-14-2003, 08:02 PM
sschmerg
Racer

I need a chrome one for my '78 SC, the original trim having somehow disappeared over the years. I have a set of the black ones I'd be willing to trade you, but they're a bit faded...they might be easier to make black again than a chrome one though.

-Sean
Old 05-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Powder coating in satin black seems like the way to go. I might have to do it myself since my anodized ones are starting to take on a bronze like tint.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Tim K
Advanced

Sean.
I've got a couple sets of chrome trim and frames They could stand to be re chromed though. Do you have everything also in black?

Tim
Old 05-15-2003, 03:00 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Tim:

No, actually the car is completely trimmed in chrome, but it is missing the passenger-side rear window trim altogether.

I could not find a chrome one for sale, so I bought a set of the black ones with the intention of having one of them chromed.

-Sean
Old 05-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Tim K
Advanced

I'm actually looking for a pair of stationary rear passenger quarter windows AND quarter window trim in black. I've got two pairs of earlier chromed quarter windows and trim available. Trade you trim? (heck and the quarter windows too, but you will probably want those ).

Tim
Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 PM
sschmerg
Racer

That sounds good...are the chrome trim pieces you have from the stationary windows? That's what I need. If they're from the older style that opened, I can't use them.

I just need the chrome I think, not the whole window. The trim does separate from the glass, right?

I'm going to have my brother email you about this (it's actually his SC). Is the email address on your profile still good?

-Sean
Old 06-17-2024, 10:36 AM
928Collector
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stripping Annodized Window trim with oven cleaner/drain cleaner?

Anyone DIY stripping of the black annodized window trim with oven or drain cleaner?

Quick Reply: Window Frames - anodized?