Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shifting the 915 gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Shifting the 915 gearbox

After owning my 82 911SC for about 2 weeks, I'm starting to learn the intermediate handling tricks of the car. To be more specific the shifting, and to top it off the 915 gearbox has such an odd clutch(in comparison to anything else I've driven)! Can a few of the experienced drivers give me tips on shifting? I have a few scenarios i need work on:

1. Gaining acceleration off the line.

2. The action of shifting - in regards to the speed and precision. It feels as if i'm not shifting as seamlessly as one would expect.

3. Handling corners - Downshift? Break? Neither?

I spent some time looking through the manual and they have valuable ideal shifting RPMs. Any advice or tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Just drive the car more (it has only been two weeks). As you become more familiar with the clutch and the way the 915 shifts, your shifts will be come more seamless. Also don't rush your shifts, take your time and be precise with your throws. In time you will not event think about shifting it will just come naturally.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

Handling corners - Downshift? Break? Neither?
OH NO, big can of worms here!! People are VERY opinionated about this. I will go ahead and throw some more gasoline on the fire by saying that I am in the camp that is not afraid to trail brake a 911. If you are not comfortable with the idea of trailing throttle oversteer, I wouldn't try it just yet. The general 911 rule is to NEVER brake in the corners. What this really means is you should not rapidly lift off the gas while cornering, or stab the brakes. Be smooth! I like to "heel toe", and get all my gear shifting done while braking for the corner.

Shifting a 915 transmission takes patience and finesse. Once you get the feel it won't seem that bad, but gear changes will never be "fast" if you want your tranny to live long.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Have someone familiar with the 915 drive yours. You could need adjustment, new bushings or a full rebuild.

Or you could be just getting used to the 915.

Lots of guys talk about the peculiarities of the 915 when in fact their transaxle is due for a rebuild.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
997for40
Instructor

As a fairly new owner of a an '84 3.2 coupe M491, the first thing I did was drain the old tranny fluid and put in Swepco.
At first I was skeptical about the claims about this fluid but I must tell you that there's an improvement in shifting after putting it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nikkoa, what part of calif are you in?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

I'm located in Sacramento!

I need to do some work on the engine (headstuds) before i would like to tackle any repairs on the tranny, but draining it sounds like a great place to start.

I've looked into a few different shifters, has anyone used the Windrush Evo shifter?
http://www.wevo.com/Products/Shifter...ter-915All.htm

I was also contemplating this 915 Gate Shift Kit:
http://www.seinesystems.com/GateShift-1.htm
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I went with a WEVO shifter and find that helps a lot.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

Lots of guys talk about the peculiarities of the 915 when in fact their transaxle is due for a rebuild.
Jack -- I think another problem is that even professionaly rebuilt boxes aren't being setup properly. My old SC had a rebuilt 915 with about 15k miles on it, and it always shifted a little funky and slow. My friends car has an untouched unit with about 85k miles covered, and it shifts like butter. In other words if it's not grinding I wouldn't spend the big $$ to have it rebuilt unless you are 100% positive that the rebuilder is a 915 expert. Not worth taking the chance. Most of the time you can learn how to drive one that is a little clapped out, and write it off as being part of the experience.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nikkoa,

I was going to offer to help check or replace your shifter bushings. That's a logical place to start.

Before installing any short shifter, your stock shifter and shift linkage need to be up to spec.

I have the Wevo Billet Shifter. Love it. Probably the best upgrade of any of my controls mods. Probably the best mod you can do, other than installing sport seats.

But you need to have new-ish shifter bushings. Also, might want to drain your gear oil and replace with Swepco 201. I read that Pete likes Kendall, but I'm not sure which oil he's using. Probably some hypoid 90 or something I'm guessing.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
vinceqn
Advanced

Is there any other imporvements you can do to the tranny? I was looking for a g-50 conversion for some time and im trying to figure out if i can get more for the money i would spend, is there a different tranny option that would be a big upgrade?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Good advice,....all.

Naturally, its difficult to diagnose a 915 issue on a Forum like this unless someone living close by (with a real good one) could drive your car and make some comparisons.

Assuming for the moment that the internals are healthy, for best shifting, I would:

1) Put Swepco #210 oil in it.

2) Replace the shift coupler, shift shaft bushing, and the plastic cup at the bottom of the shift lever. These are all cheap parts.

3) Install the Wevo shifter. Its positively divine!!

The rest is all about learning and acclimating to your new purchase. Just don't rush the shifts and you'll be fine.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

but getting back to your original question .. a few tips that will come ntural sooner or later.....

The 915 is a cable clutch which can feel different to a hydraulic clutch.

When shifting from first to second make sure you pause in neutral before shifting into second. This is the most critical one , this is known as the " pregnant pause". Porschs are NO drag strip racers so ne kind to your 915.
When you shift into third you are basically pushing away with the ball of your thumb or the palm of your hand uo into third.

Third to fourth you cup the shifter in your fingers and pull straight down.

Fourth to Fifth is the second critical shift and the only one i REALLY pay attention , it is Sprung to fifth so push agianst the spring and up int fifth. This is the one you do NOT want to make a mistake with and need to be conscious of. Hitting third by accident is VERY expensive.

Other than that as you roll to a stop put gentle pressure on your shifter for first and let it fall in. This will put you in first and you won't be trying to mesh it at a stand still.

Gentle shifting care and the tips from Steve and you wil get lots of use out of your 915
Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My suggestion is to not start reaching for solutions until you've diagnosed the problem. Don't buy a short shifter or Wevo shifter or ANYTHING else until you've examined your existing parts and determined whether or not they're in good working order and adjusted properly. If they're not, then fix them and THEN consider changing something. Sounds to me like something's wrong with your clutch. With a good clutch and a good cable, it should feel just like any other car.

Secondly, spend some serious time getting used to the transmission. 2 weeks isn't enough time - give it at least 2 months. There is nothing you can do to make it shift like a Honda, but it's a great tranny and it will feel fine after you've gained some skill with it.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

It is very good advice to first make sure everything is in order, then spend time getting used to the 915, and then decide what (if any) upgrades you may want.

The 915 really is different. I think a major part of it is the lack of spring centering in the 3-4 plane. At first, I was being very slow and deliberate in each shift. Too slow in fact, I took so much time moving from gear to gear, that I needed to double-clutch and rev-match to make a “perfect” up-shift, which is obviously a sign of too slow a hand. I also drive a WRX which has a reputation as having a fragile transmission, so pregnant pauses and double-clutch rev matching for downshifts is now my SOP. Moving to the 911, I was aware of all the commentary about the 915 and I think my pregnant pauses became the full 9-month term! This was only compounded by the exaggerated care I took moving through the shift pattern to make sure I did not get the wrong gear. This is where I think a Wevo or Rennshift or Seine etc. can make a difference – you take away the vague uncertainty as you move from gear-to-gear and now just need to focus on waiting for the RPMs to hit the sweet spot (pregnant pause) and then slipping it into gear.

People that have experience with the 915 soon become more confident in knowing “where they are” as they move the shift lever. However, where it becomes difficult is if you lose your way and need to re-orientate yourself. That being said, people race with these transmissions and shifters, so it obviously is possible to shift well with stock components.

At first I sort of assumed my 915 needed work, but after a few experienced people (including a very good P-car mechanic) drove it and stated that it actually shifted very well, I settled down and just concentrated on getting used to it and soon I realized that it did not shift badly at all. I have Swepco inside, and my shift linkage and coupler bushings are in good shape and the clutch adjustment is good. Now I have bought a Wevo shifter, which I will install soon as I do want the more secure feel.
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (07-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Shifting the 915 gearbox