Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1980 911 Targa Alarm Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
ubercar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 911 Targa Alarm Switch

I've got a switch but no key. 2 dealers have told me that the switch and/or the keys/keyblanks are unavailable. The system is disabled now with an inline resistor. The switch mechanism is kind of obscure and no one I've spoken to wants to play with it. Does anyone have any insight here? I've disassembled the lock and brought the entire thing to a competent locksmith and he says he can't do anything. I'd love to have the alarm working, any ideas would be great,
Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Defintely get your alarm working!

I went through the same thing a few years ago. I put a new alarm switch on order from Porsche, and simultaneously bought a used alarm switch with a single key from a used parts dealer. A year later, still no switch from Porsche.

I'd call around EASY, DC Auto, Oklahoma Foreign, the one in Phoenix something street auto, etc. Eventually you'll find one.

You can adjust the distance the door opens before the alarm goes off by installing a thin washer under the plunger switch on the door hinge post. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I fixed mine but I already had the key and it turned out to be a bad solder joint.

You can take the lock apart and just remove all the wafers. Then you can turn the lock with whatever you like. You are also left with what looks like a real lock. Besides most non-911 people will not even know the switch is there. Personally this is the approach I would take until you find a used set if you so desire.

Second option is to find a key that fits or a used key. Insert the key in the cylinder and grind the wafers flush so the cylinder will turn when the key is inserted.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
...You can adjust the distance the door opens before the alarm goes off by installing a thin washer under the plunger switch on the door hinge post. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Low rent fix: double faced tape and an inch of webbing opposite the switch. Black webbing for everyday; bright orange for photos.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:04 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Interesting. My problem was the alarm goes off too early - I can't get the key in before it goes off. The washer lets me open the door wider, get the key in there. I have a pair of Hella Supertwin horns that shake the ground and scare the bejeezus out of me, along with the fact that the alarm is a wonderful immobilizing device.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Same-same. The spot of webbing holds the switch in a bit longer - plenty to get the door open far enough to reach the keyhole before the blaring starts. Since I work in the textile industry (and have no shortage of webbing and double-faced tape) this was an instant fix.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You might put a stick on block above the switch contact to prevent a spatula or curved wire from being used to push in the switch by a would-be theif.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

10-4

Quick Reply: 1980 911 Targa Alarm Switch