Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Ron,

Glad to have you here!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Ron,

Don't worry, you'll learn about the car as you go. I had no real experience and I jumped in with two feet and started working on my 911. I'd done some minor work on previous cars (Hondas, a Nissan 240Z, etc). And I found this to be a much better experience than those cars.

The 911 evolved in small iterations over 30 years. And it shows. A car that is newly designed and produced ever few years can be a frustrating experience. The engineering of the 911 seems more logical -- easier to work on.

Buy the Bentley and Pete Zimmerman's book (The 911 Story) and Wayne's 101 Projects and you'll have a good starting point.

And then do what I do: come to Rennlist and ask a bunch of questions

Congrats on the car... it's a beauty. Welcome to the Cabriolet Club too !!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 AM
911cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nyne11
Welcome Ron,
It's a Bloke thing..................it doesn't matter where you are in the world..........a man has to have a shed! Nice car BTW
NICE "SHED"! Carpeted garage, never would have thought of doing that.

Originally Posted by psychoideas
G'day Ron,

Glad to have you here!
Thanks for the welcome.

Originally Posted by 911vet
Ron,

Don't worry, you'll learn about the car as you go. I had no real experience and I jumped in with two feet and started working on my 911. I'd done some minor work on previous cars (Hondas, a Nissan 240Z, etc). And I found this to be a much better experience than those cars.

The 911 evolved in small iterations over 30 years. And it shows. A car that is newly designed and produced ever few years can be a frustrating experience. The engineering of the 911 seems more logical -- easier to work on.

Buy the Bentley and Pete Zimmerman's book (The 911 Story) and Wayne's 101 Projects and you'll have a good starting point.

And then do what I do: come to Rennlist and ask a bunch of questions

Congrats on the car... it's a beauty. Welcome to the Cabriolet Club too !!
Thanks Shannon. I already have the 101 Projects book and ordered the Bentley.

You race your cab on the track? I haven't contemplated doing that because I didn't want to drill through the floor for a roll cage. Thus I haven't attended any DEs. I am from Ohio as well Little town of about 90 called Fairview (off of I-70 out by St Clairesville). GO BUCKEYES!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Hello and welcome.
First thing I must say is I like your wife's style, very nice retirement present. :-)
Cool color as well.
These cars are relatively simple mechanically compared to the newer ones. That fact , along with the help offered here by generous & experienced folks, will help make your mechanical journey a rewarding one.
Enjoy :-)

cheers
Old 01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
911cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
Hello and welcome.
First thing I must say is I like your wife's style, very nice retirement present. :-)
Cool color as well.
These cars are relatively simple mechanically compared to the newer ones. That fact , along with the help offered here by generous & experienced folks, will help make your mechanical journey a rewarding one.
Enjoy :-)

cheers
Yeah she is a keeper (the wife). Thank you for the welcome.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome-just jump in and tackle them one project at a time. Nothing is too tough on these cars, IMO.

Quick Reply: newb to the scene