911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is Zymol the Best?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I cheaped out and use a cleaner wax. I am too lazy to clay bar it and then wax it. Seems to work just fine and it makes a big difference on a white car.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree on the prep.

I used a PC with some pretty aggressive pads and polishes and it barely touched the paint on my GP White Carrera. It did take out all the oxidation though. The white, at least on my car, is hard as concrete.

Now I tried the same with a rotary, mild pad and Menzerna polishes.....wow.
All the spider web scratches have left, well not really as I only did one fender.
I used a Mequires yellow polish pad, menzerna polishes and microfibers.
Harder pads from lake country gave so so results, worked better on my other cars.
The softer pad with the rotary gave me more insurance and play with the polish.

I would use some kind of sealer than wax after polish. The sealers from Klasse, I believe it's SG, is durable as hell so clay, choose a wax and be done.
The upkeep, especially for a garage queen is super easy.

If I used my 911 every day in snow rain and shine I'd use a sealer and some kind of Boat wax or sealer, at least it will keep the paint preserved HAHA!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

So i guess the question is not really what is a good wax, but more of what is a good polish or process.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
So i guess the question is not really what is a good wax, but more of what is a good polish or process.
There's no right answer to that one either. It depends on condition of the paint and other factors.

I've used a number of products, different pads and different polishes, and all provide pretty similar results. My personal preference is Einzsett although I got great results on my Carrera with the Menzerna line of products. Both are easy to apply and remove.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3M Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound has done wonders for my single stage black RX-7 when dozens of other products did not do diddly. The paint was neglected and damaged from storage in a pine forest. With the 3M product you could feel it and see it cleaning the paint. The rags would have a black tar like substance on it and after the initial cleaning nothing really ended up on the rag so it was only removing the damaged paint. The product is available at automotive paint supply stores for about $10 and can be applied by hand. It is designed to remove 1200 grit sandpaper marks but I think it is a little finer than that. Took me about 5 hours to do one half of the convertible. I have been following it up with 3M hand glaze (sometimes) and then Mothers cleaner wax but plan on trying the Perfect-it II swirl remover. People immediately noticed the car and complimented me when they came into work.
Products that did not do anything for my RX-7 include; Turtle wax rubbing compound and polishing compound, Mothers clay bar, Meguiars 3 step (the paint cleaner is some sort of non abrasive filler that leaves a nice finish but a cleaner wax will remove its effects but a regular wax will leave it), Turtle wax Cut and shine and Color Back, Mothers cleaner wax, Meguirs Clear Coat Prep, and maybe some more.
I also used this product on a '95 silver Audi with clear coat. On both of these cars I have used 1200-2000 grit sand paper on the heavily damaged areas. I would not recommend this to others since you can easily work through the paint and find you now need a paint job if you unknowingly jump into it. I have working experience in a Corvette body shop to rely on. I would say others could feel comfortable doing this by reading a few book on how to paint cars. Focus on Finessing and Finishing. A lot of this books are garbage I feel but your library should have a variety to review.
My friend offered disappointing results on the Zymol cleaner was and said the 3M was was the hardest thing he has seen at removing.
The wax is mainly intended to protect the paint and is only going to show the paints condition. I use a regular Meguiars wax but plan to try something new since this can is nearly finished.
Black is the color that is going to show results the best or flaws the easiest. White paint is indeed hard with its Titanium Dioxide content and offers very little results for your efforts since white hides flaws the best. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...um+white+paint
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM
997for40
Instructor

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
The 3M Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound has done wonders for my single stage black RX-7 when dozens of other products did not do diddly. The paint was neglected and damaged from storage in a pine forest. With the 3M product you could feel it and see it cleaning the paint. The rags would have a black tar like substance on it and after the initial cleaning nothing really ended up on the rag so it was only removing the damaged paint. The product is available at automotive paint supply stores for about $10 and can be applied by hand. It is designed to remove 1200 grit sandpaper marks but I think it is a little finer than that. Took me about 5 hours to do one half of the convertible. I have been following it up with 3M hand glaze (sometimes) and then Mothers cleaner wax but plan on trying the Perfect-it II swirl remover. People immediately noticed the car and complimented me when they came into work.
Products that did not do anything for my RX-7 include; Turtle wax rubbing compound and polishing compound, Mothers clay bar, Meguiars 3 step (the paint cleaner is some sort of non abrasive filler that leaves a nice finish but a cleaner wax will remove its effects but a regular wax will leave it), Turtle wax Cut and shine and Color Back, Mothers cleaner wax, Meguirs Clear Coat Prep, and maybe some more.
I also used this product on a '95 silver Audi with clear coat. On both of these cars I have used 1200-2000 grit sand paper on the heavily damaged areas. I would not recommend this to others since you can easily work through the paint and find you now need a paint job if you unknowingly jump into it. I have working experience in a Corvette body shop to rely on. I would say others could feel comfortable doing this by reading a few book on how to paint cars. Focus on Finessing and Finishing. A lot of this books are garbage I feel but your library should have a variety to review.
My friend offered disappointing results on the Zymol cleaner was and said the 3M was was the hardest thing he has seen at removing.
The wax is mainly intended to protect the paint and is only going to show the paints condition. I use a regular Meguiars wax but plan to try something new since this can is nearly finished.
Black is the color that is going to show results the best or flaws the easiest. White paint is indeed hard with its Titanium Dioxide content and offers very little results for your efforts since white hides flaws the best. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...um+white+paint
+1 on the 3M Perfect-it but before the 3M Glaze we used 3M Finesse-it to get rid of very fine scratches. These are products we used when I still had my body shop.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Originally Posted by 997for40
+1 on the 3M Perfect-it but before the 3M Glaze we used 3M Finesse-it to get rid of very fine scratches. These are products we used when I still had my body shop.
An update on some of the 3M products. The Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound is now just Rubbing Compound but still uses the 39002 product code. The Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover is no longer recommended as the follow-up and One Step Cleaner Wax (39006) is now listed. Advance Auto Parts has the cleaner wax on Clearance for $4.95.

3M recently purchased Meguiars so I expect more product changes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Zymol the Best?