Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is Zymol the Best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 AM
CaliCarrera
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is Zymol the Best?

I've always used Meguiars on my car's, but I think I am going to switch to Zymol on my 1988 Carrera. Does anyone have an opinion?
Thanks,
Old 12-28-2008, 02:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

god that is like asking what is a good oil . maybe even worse. Like most things it is subjectiver and personal choice comes to mind. Mwguirs makes good products so does Zymol , personally i think it streaks ro much but to each his own. I use p21s products.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:08 AM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Zymol polish and wax. It seems to protect the paint longer than most others I've tried. (Admittedly, I haven't tried P21 products yet.)
Also, the Zymol polish seems to be made at the same factory as Turtle wax. LOL, some folks call it Zyrtle wax.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Been real happy with Zymol for hand application but when I'm using a Porter Cable I stick with the mothers stuff with the slight abrasives in it. Then follow up with Zymol. I suppose it's all in what a person feels comfortable with.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I use P21 on the black 997 and the Benz SL (they never get that dirty) and I use the Mothers three step on the race car, the Titan, and the Wrangler.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used just about everything and I have narrowed my preference down to the following:

non-metallic black & red, by hand....
If necessary, I start with Meguiars fine cut followed by Meguiars field glaze then Zymol HD cleanse and finally Zymol Carbon wax.

The Zymol you can buy at Target/Wal-Mart sucks, don't bother, I think it is worse than Turtle Wax. I was given a PS21 kit with the paint cleaner and carnuba wax and IMO it doesn't hold a candle to Zymol's HD Cleanse and Carbon wax process.

You don't mention the color of your car, that does matter for what you choose to finally use. This stuff is too expensive to experiment with, so you're doing the right thing by asking first. The problem is, 100 people will give you 100 different answers.

An 8 oz jar of Zymol carbon lasts me years so $50 is not hard to justify and it smells great!! I've found www.autoanything.com is the best place to order from. Prices are set on Zymol products but AA does not charge shipping!! Can't beat that with a bat!!

Mine may not be the only way, but I can 100% assure you that the results will satisfy you.

ood luck and brgds, Peter
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, it is IMPERATIVE that you only use micro-fiber cloths when rubbing your ride. Costco sells (yellow) bulk packs of MF towels and Wal-mart sells them individually. Costco is the best deal and you'll have plenty.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Original Formula Zymol Cleaner Wax for my car. I have found that this works well for my Grand Prix White. Most of the other Zymol products are formulated for darker colors.

If anyone knows of a better product for white paint I would be all ears. I do not need a very sturdy wax because my car stays indoors under a car cover, and I do not drive it in the rain (on purpose anyway), but it gets the harsh Florida Sun.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I tried Zymol when I bought my first nice BMW and found it didn't last that long.

My favorite on black cars is Pinnacle Souveran. I've been using P21S wax on the 911 with good results. Porter Cable with Einszett polishes for the pretreatment.

In all honesty, there are a LOT of combinations that can be used that will all yield excellent results.

One caveat is that these processes are for garage queen cars. I typically use Klasse on my daily drivers; the stuff lasts for a long long time.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Been using Harlys wax for decades. Only available online now. Great stuff. http://harlywax.com/HarlyWax/
Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

simple - apply 2 or 3 side by side and wait a few months

then use the cheapest (they will all look the same)
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always used Zymol (not the Walmart one) and I think HD Cleanse is very good because it does not do harm to the paint.

But if you want a good place to learn about paint care, go check out griotsgarage.com
Old 12-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried a test of my favorite wax. It's not a cheap wax, nor is it some ultra expensive wax. Here is what I found out.

My wife and I bought a new 2008 Mazda in mid January 2008. In April of 2008 (after the worst winter in memory and it finally warmed up), I waxed one half of the roof of the vehicle with my favorite wax. I left the other half 'naked' with no products on the paint what so ever.

In September, I re-waxed the same portion of the roof that I waxed in April, but left the other half again untreated.

After washing and drying the car, you can stare at that paint all day long and I'll bet you a nickle you can't tell which side has been waxed. However, let some dew form on the car or leave it out in the rain and it's instantly appearant which side has been waxed. Oh, BTW, even after 5 months of daily driving, the waxed side of the roof still beaded up as compared to the unwaxed side. If my run of the mill wax can hold up for 5 months on a car, most everything else will be pretty durable, especially this expensive stuff people tend to like.

I used to clean an elderly gentleman's car to help him out. I would detail the car out every spring and fall. Since I did it for free, I will state that I've used the $5.49 bottles of wax on his car and have found out that in 4-6 months, there is nothing left of the wax job I did. More expensive stuff will still bead up slightly after 4-6 months.

As far as looks goes, I have been judging concours competitions for 10 years now. I've seen guys use all sorts of waxes and combinations. If you prep the surface well and polish it correctly, you can't tell any difference between Zymol or Turtle Wax. I've seen guys use el'cheapo wax on their car and have it look better than guys waxing their stuff with the best of the best via a PC. It's all in the prep and presentation and what YOU like to use.

Just my $.02.

Jay
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've tried many of the waxes mentioned so far, but I think Griot's Garage cleaners, waxes and polishes are the best by far.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"If you prep the surface well and polish it correctly, you can't tell any difference...."

Bingo. It is the prep that is critical.

Quick Reply: Is Zymol the Best?