Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Side Marker Light - internal lens?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:48 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Side Marker Light - internal lens?

Hi Guys - I just polished up my taillight lenses - they look great. Nice little 3M $20 kit at the local auto parts store.

While I was in there, I noticed that there is a little internal lens inside the taillight assembly that covers the side marker light. It is clear. I don't see any easy way to remove it - have any of you removed this item? I'd like to replace the bulb.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 12-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

There is a small metal tab that you depress to rotate out that flat lens. Once you have the 3 screws out of the rear light lens it should be obvious.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:24 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1, That is the side reflector, a couple of tabs hold it in place. Don't loose it. They only come new, in a new tail light assembly, or salvage yard. But, most salvage yards don't want to sell just that reflector lense, unless they have some damaged light assemblies. Tony.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:24 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robrichtx
Hi Guys - I just polished up my taillight lenses - they look great. Nice little 3M $20 kit at the local auto parts store.

While I was in there, I noticed that there is a little internal lens inside the taillight assembly that covers the side marker light. It is clear. I don't see any easy way to remove it - have any of you removed this item? I'd like to replace the bulb.

Thanks!

Rob
What kit did you get and what does it do exactly? How are your rubber haskets? were they in good shape or did you have to replace/clean them up as well?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:37 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

I got the 3M Plastic Headlight refinishing kit - essentially a drill attachment, several fine grit sanding pads (800 grit and up), and some polish for the last step. Worked very well, but you have to have patience. I recommend serval beers on a slow Friday or Saturday night.

The rubber gaskets are not in good condition. I'll probably order new ones. However, in the mean time I bought some black RTV, and I plan on using this to both black out the edges of the lenses, and to re-create the black edging that was on the lenses at one point.

Rob
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

I got the 3M Plastic Headlight refinishing kit - essentially a drill attachment, several fine grit sanding pads (800 grit and up), and some polish for the last step. Worked very well, but you have to have patience. I recommend serval beers on a slow Friday or Saturday night.

The rubber gaskets are not in good condition. I'll probably order new ones. However, in the mean time I bought some black RTV, and I plan on using this to both black out the edges of the lenses, and to re-create the black edging that was on the lenses at one point.

Rob
Thanks for the description Rob. Do you have some before and after pics of the lenses you can share? What is Black RTV. i am assuming it is some kind of plastic paint. The reason I ask is that my rear lenses and especially the gaskets need some work.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:33 PM
robrichtx
Instructor

You know, I was thinking of doing that and then I thought "nah, I'm sure the guys on Rennlist have done it before." Next time I'll at least take a few photos in case someone is interested.

I can describe the lenses though - they had hundreds of fine scratches on them - looked like sand. My car went into service in Tehran, of all places, then spent some time in Paris before coming to Houston, TX. I think all the sand in the desert, added to the dust in Texas, scored the lenses. Their overall appearance was just dull, with lots of little scratches.

After applying the 3M kit, the dull aspect of the lenses was gone. The outside of the lenses was 97% back to their original state. The reflectivity of the surface (not the reflector, just the surface) was close to mirror smooth, and the color (somehow I have the US red lenses) was back to a ruby red.

Pretty good deal all the way around. If I could somehow do the same thing to the inside of the lens, I woulkd have, but that did not look possible, as the inside surface is corrugagted/fresnelled. The paste would get into the valleys and look horrible.

As for RTV, it's a form-a-gasket type stuff, similar to silicone and available at any auto store. There's a lip around the edge of the lens that I think I can get the black RTV into, and it will both blacken the clear edge, and make it's own gasket. If it's good enough, I wont bother with a new taillight gasket, but something tells me I'll need to replace it anyway. This should be a good short term fix though.

Good Luck and let me know what you find. I'll post my results as well.

Rob
Old 12-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

RTV is sort of like GE silicon. Room Temperature Vulcanizing...
Old 12-27-2008, 06:23 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To obtain more satisfactory results than using black RTV to color the border. Just remove the lenses, and clean/prep the outer edge, then tape off the rest of the lens, leaving just the inside border exposed, shoot a coat or two of a quality, satin or semi-gloss, black paint. If you already have the outside of the lenses looking good, this should complete the re-freshed look. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

You know, I was thinking of doing that and then I thought "nah, I'm sure the guys on Rennlist have done it before." Next time I'll at least take a few photos in case someone is interested.

I can describe the lenses though - they had hundreds of fine scratches on them - looked like sand. My car went into service in Tehran, of all places, then spent some time in Paris before coming to Houston, TX. I think all the sand in the desert, added to the dust in Texas, scored the lenses. Their overall appearance was just dull, with lots of little scratches.

After applying the 3M kit, the dull aspect of the lenses was gone. The outside of the lenses was 97% back to their original state. The reflectivity of the surface (not the reflector, just the surface) was close to mirror smooth, and the color (somehow I have the US red lenses) was back to a ruby red.

Pretty good deal all the way around. If I could somehow do the same thing to the inside of the lens, I woulkd have, but that did not look possible, as the inside surface is corrugagted/fresnelled. The paste would get into the valleys and look horrible.

As for RTV, it's a form-a-gasket type stuff, similar to silicone and available at any auto store. There's a lip around the edge of the lens that I think I can get the black RTV into, and it will both blacken the clear edge, and make it's own gasket. If it's good enough, I wont bother with a new taillight gasket, but something tells me I'll need to replace it anyway. This should be a good short term fix though.

Good Luck and let me know what you find. I'll post my results as well.

Rob
Thanks for the description. I don't think my lights are in bad shape, but the border where the gasket goes looks preyy bad. I like the painting idea posted. I might give that a shot.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

paint,..no RTV.

Best,

Doyle

Quick Reply: Rear Side Marker Light - internal lens?