Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Be careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Be careful out there

My neighbor called me this morning to tell me that he hit a large deer with his pristine 930.

And the only reason he was driving his Porsche to work is because his Volvo is in the body shop - his wife hit a deer with it two weeks ago.

Last edited by UberXY; 12-23-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Dept of Redundancy Dept guidelines violated
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

In New Jersey right below the welcome signs at the border they should have the "deer crossing ahead" signs.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I've already had a few close calls with deer entering my neighborhood last week.

John
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Many years ago I had the opportunity to cross Pennsylvania several times during the winter near Scranton. I can't recall seeing that many dead deer at the side of the road ANYWHERE else in the country, and I get around. Blame your tree-hugging friends for this entirely (and the gun-control freaks). If we can't cull the herds with our .30-06s when we're going to be using the infamous 9-30 models....
Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a post on a BMW forum about the deer just waiting on the side of the road for a nice car to jump in front of. I then told them how I had used my BMW for hunting and put the deer in the trunk. The PETA freaks went nuts and they actually ended up being banned from the forum.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone know if these 'deer whistles' actually work. I am contemplating them seeing as I have to drive through deer and moose country soon.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I had used them at one point. What I noticed is that the deer look at you while they are about to cross in front of you instead of just walking in front of you. This helps in that you can see their eyes shine if your eyes are good enough. Oreilly's has them for about $6. Stockin stuffer? I don't use them anymore.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:09 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I think open headers without a muffler would work much better getting the deer's attention.

John
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

In northern Wisconsin when I was visiting there, they laugh at the whistles. With or without, it's not if you hit a deer, just when. I've never been anywhere where all the locals drive 15 mph under the speed limit on two-lane county highways at night.

I slammed one coming out of Omaha with the DD a year ago last Spring. No matter how quick you are, they come out of nowhere. Learned something interesting, though. The highway patrolman said they choose where to put the "deer crossing" signs based on a history of deer/car collisions, and that deer tend to use the same paths. And guess what...my "hit" was a half-mile past a crossing sign. So I now take the signs very seriously.

My brother in Maryland saw a deer and came to a complete stop. A second deer (often more than one) ran full speed into the side of the pickup he was driving while he was stopped on the highway. And it was his neighbor's truck!

Sometimes you can't win...
Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
Does anyone know if these 'deer whistles' actually work. I am contemplating them seeing as I have to drive through deer and moose country soon.

A friend of mine in Australia sent me a set of these (with appropriate pictures of kangaroos on the packaging) and mentioned that they just don't work,--but they look neat superglued to the front of your 911.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

They don't call it a deer path for nothing.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit one a few months ago with a brand new BMW 328i loaner car... that was a lousy phone call to make...
Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm actually surprised by the lack of deer I've seen in PA this year. I usually have at least one close call per year (have only taken two via motor vehicle). Trust me that I have no complaints about this statistic.

With regard to NJ, while I was living there, I found the deer to be quite a bit smarter than PA deer. NJ deer will actually flee from inbound headlights. PA deer think those lights mean a cookie and jump on them.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rgrimm

My brother in Maryland saw a deer and came to a complete stop. A second deer (often more than one) ran full speed into the side of the pickup he was driving while he was stopped on the highway. And it was his neighbor's truck!

Sometimes you can't win...
Deer are unbelievably stupid. They just didn't get any built in wiring to cope with machines that move as fast as cars and they've never been able to adapt. My guess is that the dent on the neighbor's truck was much smaller than a head on if he'd just kept on trucking. I say your brother did the smart thing in spite of the outcome.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The deer whistles don't work. Apparently Georgia State Police did fairly extensive testing and determined that the the noise of the whistle can hardly be heard above the noise of the car, and that the deer are just as likely to jump out in front of you. ...used to do a lot of driving out on Indian Reservations at night - the answer that worked was driving a Land Cruiser with a ARB Bull Bar. Don't think they make one for 911's.... or maybe they do down in Australia!?

Quick Reply: Be careful out there