Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should I drive my 911 less?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NTI 911E
The car is no doubt still suffering from 20 years of not being driven. I drive it frequently these days, as frequently as I can given my schedule which probably means about 3-5 times a month. I'd say that I've put 6k miles on it in the last three years or so, and as I said above I know it runs better when it's driven. It does spend a large percentage of each year out of service, but that's mostly because something breaks and I don't have the time/money/energy to fix it at the time. In the last few years, it's been the sunroof, the return tubes, the exhaust pipe, the brakes, etc and now the alternator, tensioners, and probably heat exchangers... and when something breaks it just tends to put the car into a hibernation for a while until I can get it fixed.

Additionally, I never take it for short trips so it always gets up to temperature and the oil gets changed at least every six months or so (or if it sits for longer than that, it gets changed before it's driven again).
Nick,

IMHO, you have a VERY special car, both sentimentally as well as its relative rarity.

It bears repeating that its not new and these do suffer various ills from sitting, regardless of mileage. 20 years of no preventative maintenance and storage always results in a myriad of small issues to deal with, however thats a small price to pay for owning such a neat car and especially a family heirloom.

Once you deal with all the issues and get the car back to "square one", you'll find that these are very reliable & durable machines as long as you take care of it properly.

Lastly, change that oil every 2-3K in any MFI-equipped car due to fuel dilution issues and don't use an API SM-rated oil in it. Use either Swepco 306 or Brad-Penn Racing oil and that engine will treat you very well,...
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars do not "wear out".

The wear surfaces can all be replaced, and you are in a golden age right now where restoration parts are readily available, and are comparatively cheap.

Invest in good paint care, leather and vinyl care supplies. Wash the car with cold water, when the metal is cold, not warm or hot.

Drive the car. Drive it in good weather.

I have a 914-6 that looks practically showroom stock after 38 years and over 400K miles. I should add also, at the end of the road, after the owner passes away and a typical collector car goes up for auction, another collector does not look first at the mileage. The reason is that this can't be verified in most cases. They look at condition and authenticity. So, take care of the car, don't let it rust. In a way, you are preserving it by driving it in good weather.

Last edited by rusnak; 12-24-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes yes, drive!

Over 2 1/2 years, I've put 25,000 miles on my '98 C2S and taken off $15,000 in value, most likely. But the experiences I've had driving it? Priceless. And the car is better than ever, with no issues.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is from '92, and when I bought it this summer it had 19.808 kms on the clock. I thought I would keep this one pristine by not drive it more than it has yearly been by the previously owners. This car has an unique story, and I want to do the story justice by not drive the car more than 1200 km yearly.

My advice to you will then be, if your car has been used as a daily driver - then do the story justice by keep doing this. Then on the other hand, if you want to keep the miles down and keep the car pristine - then you have to cut down on the miles.

Try to think 25 years ahead from now on, do you want a car with a lot of miles on the clock and many good experiences - or do you want a low mileage car which is a rare piece of machine because of the mileage and then still a car with a good story to tell (you first car with a stick etc.).

Vifa
Old 12-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Roc Doc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it.
Wear it out.
Rebuild it.
Enjoy it.

Repeat.

I have 180,000 miles of seat time in mine, and it's a third vehicle!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Lightbulb I could be called a heretic but ...

Originally Posted by NTI 911E
I absolutely truly enjoy it. I'm just afraid of "ruining" it by using it too much like a normal car! There is so much traffic these days that I'm terrified of some moron hitting me, or of something else happening to it. And as I said above, it's still a very low mileage car for what it is, and if I keep driving it like I have been, it won't be long before it is no longer "low mileage."
I'm not sure I agree with driving a car like this as a daily commuter. I like the idea of driving it a lot but try to find quality opportunities. Make every club drive you can and plan trips with it. But I agree with your concern about the way people drive day-to-day. You should trust your instincts when it comes to daily commuting. If it isn't fun to drive the car because you're so anxious, the Porsche gods may be telling you something.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the car is that important to you, then don't use it as a daily driver. By all means drive the heck out of it, but only when and where traffic is light and the risk of collision is low. Keep it dry and clean. Drive it for pleasure only, and put at least 2,000 miles on it per year.

Don't worry about mileage. When the engine wears out, rebuild it and start over again at 0. If you were holding this car as a collector, my answer would be different.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am hte fourth over of my 1973.5 911T. I try to drive it at least weekly to work (30 mile round trip) and for fun on the weekends. I autocross it with the local PCA chapter 7-8 times/year and attempt to do one DE day annually. When i got hte car in 2002, it had 116,000 miles. We now have 138,000 miles and the pleasure has always been in the driving. The car has been reliable and I would not hesitiate to go on a long trip with it. As much as I want to, I will not drive it in the snow due to the junk they put on the roads here and what it can do to my non-galvanized body.

I say drive it regularly and enjoy the memories. Keep the car in good shape and when it gets passed to the next owner, it will still be the gem you have now.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

The more you drive them the less problems they seem to have sometimes. Sitting around can really be a problem on seals and electrical systems.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

The PO of mine was a little flabbergasted at how much I drive mine...

I bought her w/ 50k miles 4 years ago last month. I've put about 45k miles on in 4 years, and I LOVE driving her. I bought her to drive, not to "have". I agree with the feeling that they run better & have fewer (not more) problems when driven regularly. Best example I have of that is the speedo sender on mine... was intermittently flukey when I bought her. Drove her around a bit, finally ordered the replacement part, but never got around to replacing because it started working better & better as I drove her. She's still on the old one to this day & I just keep the new part on the shelf.

Ultimately you have to do what's right for you. I accept the rock chips, the silly things that happen when you drive her, though sure, it'd be nice to have a pristine example in the garage too.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the ultimate question is what you plan to do with her eventually. If you think she's a diamond that a collector will want to put in a case - then take her off the road. In that scenario - buy another 80's model and drive the heck out of her.

However, if you love driving the ole 70's brood, then nothing else will suffice.

A good example to consider is what happened to me and my dad in the 90s. He had to sell a machine we spent many happy miles in. She was no cherry - he picked her up for 10K and sold her for about 12K - but man, the times we shared were incredible. I was very glad then (and now) that we used her every chance we got, because in the blink of an eye - she was gone. I still keep track of her - she's in Maryland

Rob
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I've come to the conclusion that one 911 is not enough. We all need at least two.

You need to drive this one on special occasions (and to keep the rubber from drying up). You need another 911 to drive as often as possible.

Funny... I waited 20 years to get a 911. Now, after only 1 year of ownership, I realize I must have another one Gotta get a coupe so my cab can stay off the track.

And if you can't get a second one, then DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF THE ONE YOU'VE GOT!! The future is unknown. Live in the moment.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I've come to the conclusion that one 911 is not enough. We all need at least two.

You need to drive this one on special occasions (and to keep the rubber from drying up). You need another 911 to drive as often as possible.

Funny... I waited 20 years to get a 911. Now, after only 1 year of ownership, I realize I must have another one Gotta get a coupe so my cab can stay off the track.

And if you can't get a second one, then DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF THE ONE YOU'VE GOT!! The future is unknown. Live in the moment.
Did you really need 1 year to realize that! I think I only have had my car for 1 month before I realized that. Exactly, if you have a pristine car you like to keep pristine it can be hard to drive it and put miles on it, this is when you need a second car.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vifa
Did you really need 1 year to realize that! I think I only have had my car for 1 month before I realized that.
I was slow. It didn't hit me till I took my car to track and then I realized... "oh, this is what they mean by the slippery slope!"
Old 12-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

It’s not much fun sitting in the garage. Drive it when you can enjoy it. Maybe not chugging through traffic just to sit at the dentists office. I get up early on Sunday mornings when the roads are dry and buzz around. Traffic is light. I can enjoy my toy in the daylight and take little city tours.

Quick Reply: Should I drive my 911 less?