Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should I drive my 911 less?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman 357
It’s not much fun sitting in the garage. Drive it when you can enjoy it. Maybe not chugging through traffic just to sit at the dentists office. I get up early on Sunday mornings when the roads are dry and buzz around. Traffic is light. I can enjoy my toy in the daylight and take little city tours.
I like to that in the evening instead.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Put it on blocks in your heated garage, spray it with WD-40 and then let it sit. Someday your kids can sell it on eBay.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They get used less and less, and one day they don't start anymore. Then they sit and sit, and one day you notice the wife is keeping her gardening supplies on the hood. You regretfully decide to sell it to somebody who gets it running and sorted, and you always wonder what would have happened if you kept it...
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this talk about driving it has got me yearning to do so... too bad it's still in the shop for the timing chains
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I go with the phrase "Use it or lose it"

John
Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
BC_CLETA
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive my car daily, 80 miles round trip and i love every minute of it
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NTI,

I have a similar story to yours except my father's car was a Corvette. When I got my hands on it, it had relatively low miles. I babied it for years, and one day I realized that the best part about actually owning the car was DRIVING the car. I have piled the miles on my dad's little Vette for the past 10 years. She now is showing nearly 160k, and I have TONS of stories for every mile (as do countless young ladies!!!).

I guess my point is that you should ENJOY the car. You can always restore it!!! When you are too old to enjoy it and it is just sitting there, I promise you will wish you had enjoyed it more...its better to look at a well used & well loved car and have stories to tell, than to look at a PERFECT unused car and only be able to talk about how "original" it is...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vehicles like the Porsche's were designed and built to be driven. Sure they look great, but the true greatness of these cars is evident when you're behind the wheel on a nice twisty backroad or on a track. You can always go to an automobile museum to look at cars....heck, Porsche is building a new one. You can see all the great cars there.

I drive mine as much as I can. I don't commute in it simply because I don't like sitting in traffic with it. I share the time in the 911 with my family and we go on trips/cruises and ice cream runs as much as we can. The kids love that car....almost as much as I do. Wait until they're old enough for the front seat.

I leave you with this, sure it's fun to watch ****...but it can never replace the real deal. Don't just stare at your Porsche...drive the heck out of that 911...

Quick Reply: Should I drive my 911 less?