New HID tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New HID tech

I don't know if anyone would find this interesting, but I was changing the bulb in my Streamlight HID flashlight, and it occured to me "hey, this thing could be wired to fit my Hella Euro H4 headlamps".

This is the flashlight:

The reason I think it could be done is that the new Philips HID bulbs have the ballast attached directly to the bulb base, so you send 12v power to the ballast. This thing uses an Audi/BMW/Porsche HID bulb and it's a handheld flashlight that will stay lit for over an hour. And it redefines the word "bright".

The problem would be not blinding oncoming drivers, and focusing the beam in a safe and controlled manner.

I think some bright guy or girl will be applying this to an H4 kit soon.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the issue was ever wiring a bulb in. It was always a question of how do you get the light aimed properly. Somehow, you need a sealed HID bulb which comes with the proper lens and then a clear outer lens placed on your H4 light so that it does not redirect the light coming from the bulb.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine deals in HIDs & told me straight out he could hook me up, if I converted to the later buckets vs. the old sealed-beams I have. Told him no thanks, have other things on the want-list. The last HID headlight conversion I did eliminated the high-beams on me & I found I wanted them occasionally, especially on wet roads (I've found the HIDs I've had lacking in wet).

Now, that said, I'd LOVE to replace the fogs with the old Sylvania X1010 HID driving lights I had on one of my old SHOs... those were AWESOME. That was a nice little combo for cheap... X1010's & Silverstar 9007's. Unfortunately they got stupid pricey with the X1010's if you can even find them now. I picked up mine for $200 back in the day, IIRC.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 PM
tonypai
Racer

Fred

I'm curious as to what kind of setup your friend is selling. And how much. I'd be interested if it's not too expensive. There's a good thread on Pelican about installing HID projectors to replace the H4s. I bought a pair of used audi projectors and a cheap ballast/bulb set. I figured it'd be a nice winter project, except winter came a month too early!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Just be for-warned, installing HIDs in a car that didn't come with them is usually illegal in most places and can get you some fines.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Years ago I had dome some custom wiring on my 911 that worked out well. I found that the original Bosch foglights had available either the fluted fog lenses or clear DRIVING lenses. I would at times install the driving lenses in lieu of the fogs and from a switch on the instrument panel (it was one of those small rocker switches like used to turn on your early headlight washers) and it reversed the logic on the 911s which allowed me to have these lights on with the HIGH beams. That was some package of lighting! It was great. I have to say that it was ultimately second only to what I have now in the Bi-Xenons on the 997S.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:30 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The bulb holder could easily enough be adapted to the H4 reflector, but there is no guarantee that the light pattern would be flat enough to work with the increased light intensity.

I think it would require someone who could manufacture or re-grind the H4 lens, which is like a fresnel looking thing. The light bulb itself uses a lot less power once it is hot, and puts out a lot of light. The Philips bulb is slightly green and is stupid expensive. I bought one used on evilBay for about $50.00.

I think if i could make my own HID driving lights, that is a sensible place to start while keeping the H4s since they are time proven.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I have been installing HIDs for years know at my shop. I have probably put in over 100 sets. The original HIDs were not so great in many cars because of the turn-on draw. Alot of times you had to turn your lites on 2-3 times to get them to work, unless you put a relay kit on them. Today I sell only one brand. They are digital balast and only need 5-7 amps to turn on. They are true plug and play. You do need h-4 upgrade housings. With the new housings you can just drop them in and plug in the balast.
It is true that HIDS were designed to work in projector headlites but I have them in all my cars including my 911. They do scatter the light alittle bit. The lighting is 10 times better. It is true that there are laws about the lites but I have never been pulled over for them. I think most people who get pulled over have higher kelvin (blue) lights. When the police see a car with blue lights, HIDs or other they are going to give you a hard time. I like the 6000k , these are a true white and look wonderfull. Buy the way they make high low beam HIDs. the bulb position is moved when you hit the highbeam. They are wonderfull. By the way I am not trying to sell them to you guys, just educate you alittle bit.
John
Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I heard about the Hi/Low HID kit from Gabe at Strasse years ago. I wanna say like 5 years or more. I thought they couldn't work out the bugs though.

What I didn't like about the early HID kits was the bulky ballast and cutting a huge hole in the headlight bucket.

If you know where I can find out about the newer HID kits, I'd sure be interested in checking them out.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I have had a set of the hi/low beams in my sons car for about 14 months with no problems at all. He put about 23,000 miles on the car. They work as day time running lites, so they are on the whole time the car is running.
I will try to take some pics of them tommorrow. I will take close up pics of the balist so you can see the spec's.
John
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm sticking with my H1's. It's hard to argue the power and quality of their beams. I'm surprised there's been no aftermarket development, but I guess there would ony be limited demand.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

They make the H1 in HID. the H1 is just the bulb size. The reflector and design of the housing is what gives out the beam pattern. The standard H1 bulb is also 55w. The same as all other bulbs.
John
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I refer to the H1 assembly for 911's by Bosch-most just refer to them as H1's.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Here are the pics of the kit I use. I have tried many other brands and this one is the best I have found. If you notice the H4 bulb has a special reflector with it so it reflects the lite better. That is the high /low set up. The other bulb is a H7 ( i think, cant remember) single beam set up.
John

I also get a 2 yr warantee with them. Replace no questions asked. Cant beat that.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Forgot the pics

Last edited by JBrown; 08-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: New HID tech