Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who has removed HVAC stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 AM
VTCMart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has removed HVAC stuff?

Just looking to get some opinions on removing HVAC components. I'd like to have heat and Defrost and remove the rest. I would leave it alone if everything was working correctly but its already started down the road of removal. My AC compressor is already out, heater has been "backdated" (no blower on engine) and my front HVAC fan lever binds/jumps out of the track (i think the control lever assembly would have to be replaced?) Has anyone added an electric switch to a fresh air blower and just bypass the cables and levers altogether? My heater works fine now so I dont want to lose that but would like to remove all the other "dead weight".
Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has been out for a number of years. For a while, I left the fan in the smugglers box and was able to get fresh air out of the center vents that way. I have since even removed that so everything is out now. Never missed it, but then again it stays relatively cool in the Northeast during the summers.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought an '84 Carrera with non working A/C. Everything was intact, but the compressor belt was removed in 1984 by the original owner.

I wondered too what to do with the A/C system. I bit the bullet and had the entire A/C system restored. All 5 A/C hoses were replaced, all fittings redone, new dryer installed, and a few other issues resolved. The system was charged with (expensive!) R-12. The shop that did the work was extremely expensive, but the system is like new and I have 26 degree vent temps.

So, now instead of leaving the 911 at home because it's hot and/or humid, I can take this thing pretty much anywhere, regardless of temperature. My wife and kids can be comfortable too and I don't have to rely on open windows or the poor ventilation fan air distribution to try to keep me cool. I replaced the bow tie vent with a real vent from Griffiths, but otherwise everything is back to 1984 specifications. It was worth every penny and I'm glad I kept the A/C functioning.

That's just my $.02.

Jay
02 986
90 964
84 3.2
Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 AM
VTCMart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay H

So, now instead of leaving the 911 at home because it's hot and/or humid, I can take this thing pretty much anywhere, regardless of temperature.
I'm thinking I may come to this conclusion as well when Texas Summer hits. I may go for a Retro-Air type conversion, I will probably wait until summer to weigh the unbearable heat to dollar ratio. (I've done no A/C in other cars just not here in Texas though).
Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

The AC is out of my '83 SC and I still drive it on all but the worst Texas Summer days. Took it out for weight saving and the fact the original was marginal. May go after market at some point but right now Roll the windows down and drive. If the weather is bad (hot or hotand damp) I drive the water cooled Porsche. By the way the heat, fan and defrost work.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:08 PM
HRiverTwhite
3rd Gear

I have an '80 Targa. I took the AC compressor out because its heavy and sticks out over the back of the engine, which is a bad place for weight. I don't miss it at all. Because nothing seems to work in terms of the front and rear fans for heat and air control I'm thinking of putting in independent switches to operate the fans because the incumbent switches don't seem to be working. I put a vacuum cleaner discharge (after I took out the dirt bag) into the heat ducting in the back to push air through system. I started operating the levers in front and felt for the air pressure to try and get a read on what was really happening; it helped, but I still have work to do to figure out what is working and what is just junk.

Drive fast, take chances
Old 12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 236 Posts

I took the plunge and did the Giffith's after market AC. I also got all three of my heater fans working to spec. Enjoyability of the car has dramatically increased. I'm in the Florida panhandle and it gets below freezing in the winter and almost to 100 in the summer so a good HVAC is paramount for me especially in stop and go traffic. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

I am struggling with this question also, but maybe for different reasons.

I have owned (twice) my 85 911 for 20 yrs. when I bought it back the second time, I started going to DE and Autocroos, so that 'necessitated' doing perf upgrades. wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, eng/trann rebuild, etc.

car now has 120K and my AC still works, never rebuilt, but takes a little shot of R12 every couple years. my suspicion now is the hoses. now that I have done as much as I intend on perf upgrades, the next phase to improve track performance is lose weight.

when I pulll the AC I intend to keep the heat/defrost. and my beautiful full leather interior will probably be the last to go, maybe never. but due to PCA DE rule changes, now need to get sport seats and roll bar to use my 5pt harnesses. as one DE instructor told me a couple years ago .... learn to drive you car to it's limits and you will be rewarded with the feeling. he had just gotten out of a new 911 with all the computer aids. commented about the computers going nuts trying to save the driver butt from his lack of driving ability.

as my 911 has evolved more toward track duty, I recently bought a nice 84 928 with working AC/heat as my semi-daily driver. I intend to drive the 911 on the street occasionally, enough to keep it exercised between track events.

and of course as the snow flies and cold settles in, I have my F150 4X4 to fall back on.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:23 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Wink TX is hot

I took mine out this fall since the factory stuff was toast and I wasn't prepared to invest the money for modern A/C yet. The car is still in rehab so I'm not sure what it will be like but it can't be much different than a nearly worthless factory system. Although it can get very hot in Denver Metro, it is generally much drier than in other climates around the country; certainly drier than Dallas.

Insomuch as everything factory will come out if you put in a really good system, there's no downside to taking out the old. If you don't have to dress up much when you use the car (comuting to downtown Dallas in a suit every day) then the A/C is a function of how many times you drive it and good comfort is a problem for you. If you would be wearing a T-shirt and shorts anyway during the times you drive it in the summer, maybe a little extra deordorant and plenty of water may do the trick. BTW, there are some good threads around addressing the different ways to retro a Porsche ventilation system to bring outside air through the vents.

But now is the time to get the A/C done if that's your choice, when it's cooler (if you have the budget and time to do the work). You'd want to be cool the very first time you go out in the heat plus the aftermarket A/C stuff isn't getting any cheaper.

Last edited by rbuswell; 12-25-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VTCMart
Just looking to get some opinions on removing HVAC components. ...... my front HVAC fan lever binds/jumps out of the track (i think the control lever assembly would have to be replaced?) Has anyone added an electric switch to a fresh air blower and just bypass the cables and levers altogether? My heater works fine now so I dont want to lose that but would like to remove all the other "dead weight".
If you plan to remove the ac for weight savings, here are some ideas:
1) Remove all the hoses, the original hoses leak anyway. Place the hose hanger sheet metal screws in the original locations with the sealing washers. Put the hangers in a bag for storage.
2) Remove the front condenser, crash grill and blower motor. Put all the original fasteners back their place. Keep the removed parts in a bag for storage. Block off the front condenser blower motor hole with light weight plastic.
3a) Remove the evaporator blower box (located in the smuggler's box well), keep the two brackets attached to the box. Carefully secure the thermostatic capillary sensing tube (aluminum tube in white sheath) to the side so it does not contact the steering shaft. Leave the black evap box outlet tube attached to the ac vent manifold and cover it with plastic to cap it off. Cap off the driver's and passg. side air inlets.
3b) Leave the evaporator blower box in place. You would have a source for air movement using the ac fan switch in the floor console, however remember its all recirculated air.
3c) Remove the evaporator blower box as in '3a', split the evap case, remove the evap and lower section (box bottom), re-attach the upper section back in place using the two brackets. Secure over the thermostat sensor tube. Cap off the driver's and passg. side air inlets to keep some of the outside air out. You know have a second source for outside air movement.
4) Remove the compressor (keep it for a swap meets; carrying it around will keep you in shape and its always a good conversation starter). Remove all the ac brackets, including the slider plate attached to the compressor. Keep the removed parts in a bag for storage.
5) Remove the rear deck lid condenser, bag it for storage.
6) Leave the ac controls in place in the floor center console.
7) Toss the receiver drier, remove the strap and clamps, put the hardware back in place.

Inspect your cables for the heat/fresh air ventilation system and the linkages.
You may be able to find what's binding, worse case you spend some time and replace some cables.... and you get to write about it on the forum. You could mod the fresh air motor circuit but frankly its easier to fix what you got and keep the functions.

PM on a good day if you need more help

Quick Reply: Who has removed HVAC stuff?