Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Occasional strong smell of gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Fahrvergnuugen
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Occasional strong smell of gas

once in a while i get a really strong wiff of gas inside the cabin of my 82. I noticed there is a vent tube coming from the filler neck...I'm not sure if this is where the smell is coming from or not.
is this comon?
Old 05-09-2003, 11:54 PM
ThePuf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have similar experiences, but only when the car has been sitting for over a day and never when driving. When I get in, there's a fairly strong smell of fuel which dissipates quickly. My cousin's '76 Carrera 3.0 had the same smell so I figured it just something that comes with old Porsche ownership

Is there some sort of fuel vapour release system that might be leaking into the cabin? I'm still learning about my car, so I'm not sure...

Puf
Old 05-10-2003, 02:58 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound crazy, but on '80's cars, try a new gas cap. Guys on another board have written that this has solved the problem.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Fahrvergnuugen
Instructor

Funny story about that...
The first DAY I had my car, I was getting gas and i set the cap on top of the pump. I had my back to it while I filled the tank. Some ******* guys behind me [pumping gas on the other side of the pump] reached over the top and stole the cap.
I was 10 hours away from home [I bought the car in North Carolina] so I stopped by a pep boys and got a 6 dollar "Fits GM, FORD, YUGO, PORSCHE" plastic cap. The original was metal.

Could this cheap gas cap be the culprit?
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (12-08-2020)
Old 05-10-2003, 03:18 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Could be. On the other board, the cause was explained as a poor sealing gas cap gasket. Going to an original cap may solve your problem.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:45 PM
gavin11
Intermediate

I'm still fighting a similar problem in my '88 930. The gas smell was STRONG. Got a new gas cap last weekend, and the smell has almost gone away now. I'd start with an OEM cap and see if that solves your problem. They're only about $20. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:51 PM
GeorgeMa
Intermediate

I had to replace my gas cap two times, due to gas fumes. The second time was better. They are both German, from the same manufacturer, as far as I can tell. The first one was defective as the "grooves" do not go all the way to the plastic part, so the plastic seal was not compressed enough to make a tight fit. Hope this helps.
George Ma
83 911SC Targa
Old 05-11-2003, 01:30 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Since you have a 3.2L swapped into the '82 let me tell you a good place to check as mine started with the occasional smell and developed into a constant strong smell before I found it. On the back side (towards the front of the car) of the engine from the end of one fuel rail to the end of the other is a rubber hose. That hose gets old and cracks and leaks, eventually it leaks a lot. A new one is, I believe about $50, or you can just replace the rubber with fuel injection hose and some clamps. Its a simple job once you remove the airbox and the heater fan. Maybe not as likely as something near the gas tank, but you should check it just in case.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem, and it was worse when the tank was full. The overflow /vent goes to a platic vapor tank in front of the drivers side front wheel. The rubber hose had cracked and would become wet when the tank was full and the gas expanded. easy fix.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:41 PM
pwd72s
Pro

So Paul...did you ever find a fix?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Fahrvergnuugen
Instructor

no, its really erratic. i can't figure out what the problem is. i checked the line that was mentioned and i ordered a new metal gas cap, but it hasn't arrived yet.

i tried sniffing around to see if it smelled stronger under the dash, near the floor, in the trunk, etc, but it doesn't at all. very strange....
Old 05-16-2003, 09:05 PM
pwd72s
Pro

keep us posted, okay? And good luck. Must be annoying as all get-out.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:30 PM
dial911
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Alan Goettel:
<strong>I had the same problem, and it was worse when the tank was full. The overflow /vent goes to a platic vapor tank in front of the drivers side front wheel. The rubber hose had cracked and would become wet when the tank was full and the gas expanded. easy fix.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">A new cap *may* be the solution in some cases, but I think Alan is on the right track as he posted above.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:30 PM
dial911
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Alan Goettel:
<strong>I had the same problem, and it was worse when the tank was full. The overflow /vent goes to a platic vapor tank in front of the drivers side front wheel. The rubber hose had cracked and would become wet when the tank was full and the gas expanded. easy fix.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">A new cap *may* be the solution in some cases, but I think Alan is on the right track as he posted above.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Huey58
Intermediate

I had the same problem. Went to the gas station to fill up. Opened the hood and removed the carpet and began to fill up. Inspected main fill into the tank and saw a very small drip coming from the small vent hose that goes underneath the main filler. Squeezed the hose and found the problem. It had deteriorated just enough to cause the problem. Replaced and cabin is a "Gas free zone"!

Quick Reply: Occasional strong smell of gas