Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Occasional strong smell of gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Trust me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an old 914 that had the same problem. Was told to change the gas cap. I changed it and the problem went away. This was after I had changed all of the fuel lines. Expensive, but better safe than sorry. Don't want to drive a fireball.

Troy
Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Jerry Forthofer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's try this again when I actually type in some info.

I too had a gas smell problem on my '86. Checked all the items mentioned, but still had the smell. No gas under the car so I did not think I had a leak.

I was wrong. I removed the pan under the front suspension and it was damp. It was gas. The hose from the fuel pump that runs to the rear of the car was leaking such a small amount that it never dripped from the suspension pan.

Upon inspection, it appeared I caused the problem when I installed the bump steer spacers. To get the rack low enough so I could insert the spacers, I had inadvertently poked a small hole in this hose.

So I ordered a hose. Based on what I could see during my inspection, I was expecting to receive a 10" hose. You can guess my surprise when I opened the box and found a five foot long hose. This hose runs through the tunnel back to the rear of the car in one piece. Had to remove the passenger seat, the console, the shifter, the emergency brake, the heater controls, etc. to get the hose in and out.

The good news is I no longer have a gas smell!

Quick Reply: Occasional strong smell of gas