Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to remove trunk AC compressor and blower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:46 AM
George993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove trunk AC compressor and blower?

Hi, I'm putting my 1983 SC on a weight loss program. How to remove the trunk mounted compressor/blower (the one in the hidden compartment under a lid)? I've disconnected the hoses, undone 2 bolt which were holding the top but something still holds it inside. Any ideas on how to free it up?

thanks

George
Old 11-29-2008, 02:13 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

behind passenger footboard is a plate screwed to the firewall. unscrew it and it should all feed out through the smugglers box.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:26 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the evaporator, not compressor.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM
whiskey52
Advanced

yep, pull the padssenger floorboard, disconnect the electrical connection and 4 screws, slide the plastic sleeve into the passenger compartment and the unit in the trunk lifts right out.
good luck
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Wink Couple pieces to fabricate

You will need to make a couple plates to cover the holes where the evaporator and the condenser fan was. I just took simple scrap sheet metal and tin snips, cut them to size and painted them. It didn't seem too hard to match it up to the existing screw holes, drill holes in my sheet metal plates for putting them in with the factory screws. A little silicone to seal the plates and you're done. About a two hour job but worth it to keep water out of the Smuggler's box and the front trunk area.

BTW a full A/C delete saves about 70 lbs. Consider how much work the factory goes through to save 70 lbs.

Last edited by rbuswell; 12-02-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: To clarify content
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had trouble with mine also. i had everything disconnected that i thought was holding it but it still wouldnt come out. I ended up yanking as hard as i could and it came out. I still couldnt see what was holding it.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 AM
George993
Intermediate

Thanks guys, that was it! The evaporator blower came out quite nicely! While at deleting AC parts I also took out the 2 ***** and one rotary switch out of the center console, together with the backing plate. It's a clean removal, which simply leaves a finished off, larger console opening. (Except for the left over screw holes and the back hole through which cables went)
Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 AM
George993
Intermediate

BTW, both condensers, rear compressor and front condenser blower are out as well, getting to the 70 lbs rbuswell mentioned :-). Just curious - are the SCs without AC having the holes (smuggler's box to passenger foot well, front condenser blower openings) covered up with some factory plates, or are those holes not cut out at all? thx
Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Lightbulb ROW cars

Originally Posted by George993
BTW, both condensers, rear compressor and front condenser blower are out as well, getting to the 70 lbs rbuswell mentioned :-). Just curious - are the SCs without AC having the holes (smuggler's box to passenger foot well, front condenser blower openings) covered up with some factory plates, or are those holes not cut out at all? thx
George, I'm no expert but my understanding is that all the SCs came with A/C unless there was a factory delete specified. I can't really tell from the PET but that's my recollection. I'm pretty sure that the earlier cars (60's and early 70's) that either didn't have A/C or it was a dealer add didn't have a front condensor and the Smuggler's box was modified for the evaporator.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv been trying to sell my sc AC stuff and no one seems to want it. I sold the brackets and hardware real quick though
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Talking That's because it's garbage

Originally Posted by porsche930dude
iv been trying to sell my sc AC stuff and no one seems to want it. I sold the brackets and hardware real quick though
You won't get anyone to pay you much for it because it's junk and no one should put it in their car unless they want to sell it as all original. Someday you car (and mine) will be worth a lot more as a collectable and all the original stuff will be important. You should put it all in deep storage and forget about it until you sell your car, if ever. If you keep it you may want to refurbish all that old junk to original condition for concours reasons. If you sold the hardware to a friend you may try to get it back for the same reason.

Last edited by rbuswell; 12-05-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Quick Reply: How to remove trunk AC compressor and blower?