Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C upgrade, advice...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:25 PM
rosco28
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C upgrade, advice...?

I am about to start my AC upgrade. I was looking at both Griffith's and Rennaire. However, my Porsche mechanic said that he was familiar with Performance Products.

I'd like to hear what you real pros have to say about Performance Products against Rennaire/Griffith's for the AC upgrade. My car is a DD and I want really cold air. In any case, i'll probably get the Griffith's additional vents.

Thanks in advance!!

rosco28
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

You can get reasonable AC. I did it, check on the Pelican site. What you MUST do to get AC to work is to get good airflow through the condenser. The engine fan does not draw enough air for the decklid condenser to work. I added a pancake fan and I get good cooling with just the decklid condenser.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

which product at Performance are you referring to?

The ProCooler maybe?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What I plan to do with our '88 carrera is, first, add a whale tail (and front spoiler) to both enhance the appearance, provide "some" rear downforce, and.......space above the condensor to mount a few 12 volt "boxer", computer type high velocity fans to force more airflow throught the engine lid mounted condensor when the A/C compressor runs.

Last edited by wwest; 11-26-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the complete kit from Rennaire and installed it myself including front condensor. I do not have an additional fan but makes sense to me.
abe
Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Rosco,

I just bought Griffith's full system (two wheel well condensers w/fans, new decklid and front condensers, new compressor, new hoses, new evap, rcvr/dryr, etc) and had it installed at the local dealership in my 88 Cab in October.

I had talked to two Porsche mechanics, one a private one and the other a dealership mechanic, both with 20 years experience. Both said hands down that Griffith's system was the best. Each had installed several of the systems. The system seems to work as advertised but I am waiting for summer to roll back around for the real test. Fifteen hours of labor is what they charged me. Hope this helps...Gene
Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Hladun1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Rosco,

I just bought Griffith's full system (two wheel well condensers w/fans, new decklid and front condensers, new compressor, new hoses, new evap, rcvr/dryr, etc) and had it installed at the local dealership in my 88 Cab in October.
Would you mind telling us what this all cost?
Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Four refrigernat condensors in series seems just a bit of overkill....

I would at least by bypass the one in the engine lid (first/HOTTEST in the string..??) so as to not inadvertently overheat the air cooled engine.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

$3k
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Griffs system was installed by me last month. $3200 for new front condenser, two rear wheel condensers, Nipp cond, all hoses, evap/exp valve, drier. Reused my rear condenser and converted to 134a. Did my charge on a 75 deg and I undercharged by pressures, did it by volume until the temp warms up. My intitial vent temp was 20 deg which went up to 30 due to exp valve prob beginning to freeze. For a DIY the directions were perfect. Charlie is very knowledgable and available for complete backup.
I really shopped and read. Best system for a signif price. I wanted to as cold as possible.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how valuable my post will be since I live in a climate that isn't quite as hot as others, but we do have high humidity and can see temps in the 90's.

However, I had the stock system restored in my 1984 Carrera. I had all 5 A/C hoses replaced with new hoses, new drier, hi/low pressure switch added to the system (Porsche never designed the system with one during '84), had everything checked and then refilled with R-12. I'm using the stock compressor (still in excellent shape due to non use) and all the other stock 'plumbing'. Even in hot weather, I typically have to back the temp control off a bit since the system works well. Of course, the system works best at freeways speeds (and even the owner's manual will admit this). I will notice higher engine temps as you would expect when the system is on. So, the stock system is effective if everything is brought back to original specifications. The system was delivered to me with 26 degree vent temps.

I did replace the "bowtie" vent in front of the center console with a Griffiths vent. That does help add an extra directional vent that is tons more useful than the bowtie vent or even running it without the bowtie vent (removing this bowtie just freezes your legs).
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Update on my Griffith's AC System.

We are well into August now and I have seen outside temps ranging from the low 80s to the high 90s with humidities anywhere from 60-95% and outside "Feels like" temps up to 113 degrees. When my car is outside I cover it and leave the windows half open. For short trips I put a sunshield in place if I am not covering it with the windows cracked about an inch. I have an inside/outside thermometer and inside humidity sensor mounted between the two seats just behind the heater fan selector. The outside temp sensor is underneath the front hood not exposed to direct sunlight. Once I start driving it gets air circulation and it always reads 4-5 degrees hotter than temperature displays at the local banks, etc which I attribute to the heat of the road.

I charged the system in the fall and rebalanced it about 6 weeks ago. I regularly see inside temps of 110 degrees when starting the car. Within five minutes the inside temps are usually in the mid to high 70s and about 10 minutes in it settles to the high 60s if the outside temps are in the 80s and the low 70s if the outside temps are in the 90s both with inside humidities never higher than 45% and typically 35 or 30%. I am very satisfied with the system. Typically I run it on max fan and max cool for about the first 10 minutes than I back it off to about 60-70% fan speed (I have the variable fan mod from Griffith's) and about 60% max cold. This works very well for me. Initially, with the max/max setting I'll see vent temps in the high 30s and once I back off the fan speed the vent temps range from 29-32 degrees.

Additionally, I installed the Pelican oil cooler scoop and replaced the oil cooler fan thermostat in the right front wheel well with the BMW 99C switch. I have run the car as much as two hours in stop and go traffic with outside temps in the 90s with interior temps in the mid 70s and low interior humidity. My oil temp has never gone higher than about the 9:30 position or approximately 110C. On the highway with outside temps in the 90s my oil temp drops much faster than before I installed the oil cooler scoop and stays right around 95C. I am very impressed with how fast the oil temp drops with the addition of the oil cooler scoop.

Again, my car is a cab that probably is harder to cool than a coupe or targa. I imagine that the same installation in a coupe or targa would see even better results.

Griffith's sells a higher speed evaporator fan but I don't think I need it. It's another option for the future.

Unfortunately, it's not all good news. I have had to deal with slightly reduced visibility due to the rear cabriolet plastic window getting frosty from the cold interior temps! I can learn to live with that though.

On a seperate note, I also fixed my entire heater system this winter. All three heater fans (engine compartment fan and two footwell fans), the rotary fan selector speed between the seats, and the heat levers work perfectly. Very effective heater system especially with the top down on the cold evenings.

Having a completely operable heating and air conditioning system has really improved the driveability of my car. I don't think twice about taking the car out when it's in the 90s and my shirts stay dry and my glasses fog up whenever I get out of the car!

Anyway, I've tried to furnish a lot of data here. Hope it's not too much.

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 08-17-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Having a completely operable heating and air conditioning system has really improved the driveability of my car. I don't think twice about taking the car out when it's in the 90s and my shirts stay dry and my galsses fog up whenever I get out of the car!
That's really a great point about having a fully functional ventilation system. The cars are even more driveable in more conditions. Not to mention safer in wet weather when you need A/C or heat to dehumidify the windows while driving.

Good to hear the updates are working well!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
gla924sem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased an entire system from Griffith's. Have no complaints.

Charlie is great to work with. Helped me through the whole installation.

Cools & runs great

Buy GRIFFITH"S!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
gla924sem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up AC

In Michigan this weekend we had 90 degree heat with unbelievable humidity.

My new Griffiths system worked great!!!!!! Will not regret the investment

Drove over 150 miles in this temperature and the AC was blowing 44-48 degree air contunually!!!!!!

Again BUY Griffiths

Quick Reply: A/C upgrade, advice...?