Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Trips & Older 911s - Whats in Your Toolkit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trips & Older 911s - Whats in Your Toolkit?

Folks,

Another thread got me thinking about this so I have to ask. For those that brave the 1000+ Mile round trips in their older 911s what 'extra' fix-it items do you usually carry with you?

I feel safe with the OEM Toolkit (w/tire pump), some extra hand tools, some large (40 gallon) plastic trash bags, some latex gloves, a spare fan and A/C belt, the Bentley manual for the car, a DVOM, a small battery operated soldering iron w/solder, spare relays, fuses & bulbs, some extra wire of various guage/amp ratings, a halon extinguisher and, of course, a couple of quarts of oil.

Actually, all of this stuff (save the Bentley manual), is in the car all the time and it doesn't take up much room. I'd just like to hear some thoughts from those of you who also take the 'long' trips in these older cars.

As an aside, what's the most 'Damn, YOU DA MAN!' repair (whether temporary or permanent) that you've made on one of these older cars while on a trip far from home?

Barry
Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I use my car as a daily driver in the summer. I carry a #10 socket wrench, and a few different sized relays. My car didn't have a tool kit or pump when I bought it. At some point I will buy a second hand set. I have CAA which is like AAA and they will pick me up and tow my car up to 160 miles 4 times a year. If the car breaks, it either goes home if I know and can fix the problem, or it gets towed to the mechanic.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Boy this has been asked a LOT , i think a search would yield a lot, but having said all that always make sure you have at least a flashlight ( head mounted LED so I can work with both hands ) , i carry the full Porsche tool kit, a fan belt , a red and black relay ( SC ). oil is available so i don't bother, and i have CAA in case of emergency.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
Boy this has been asked a LOT , i think a search would yield a lot, but having said all that always make sure you have at least a flashlight ( head mounted LED so I can work with both hands ) , i carry the full Porsche tool kit, a fan belt , a red and black relay ( SC ). oil is available so i don't bother, and i have CAA in case of emergency.
Oh yeah, like Clive, I carry an LED flashlight that requires no batteries.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
bob b
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope this counts, it was an air cooled six story, just not a p-car. In 1972 my '70 VW camper van was just too slow so I installed a turbo Corvair eng and tranny. We were loading it up for a ski trip to Tahoe, about 600 miles each way, and I threw in a spare cylinder head. To this day I don't know why except it was resting next to my tool box, which I took as well. Sure enough, pulling the last hill to our condo, the engine starts clattering and banging, missing like crazy just barely making it. Next morning, pulled the plugs, one's all beat up, lowered the motor enough to pull the head, installed the spare one and was skiing before noon. It ran that way for years and years. It still makes me chuckle retelling this story. Bob B (It had dropped a valve seat)
Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oops!

TheIceMan is correct! This has been done to a fine turn! Lot's of good info in past posts. Sorry, I typed before I looked.

Good call on the LED Headlamp though. I use one religiously (the AAA battery manufactures LOVE me) in the garage and I truly don't know how I'd get along without one. Another interesting facet is the CAA/AAA call.

I've never thought about the 'Auto Club' membership side of this. Would these organizations send out someone who would listen to a knowledgeable owner or someone who 'knows it all' and then proceeds to crush your front spoiler and say 'Your contract says we're not liable for that. Sorry.'?

Barry
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't overlook the old standbys... duct tape & baling wire.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Barry I had it put in my profile that i will need a flat bed regardless. and i have the tow eye in the kit. If i was getting it towed up on to the flatbed I would have the tow eye installed before he even got there.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Barry A. Waters
Oops!

TheIceMan is correct! This has been done to a fine turn! Lot's of good info in past posts. Sorry, I typed before I looked.

Good call on the LED Headlamp though. I use one religiously (the AAA battery manufactures LOVE me) in the garage and I truly don't know how I'd get along without one. Another interesting facet is the CAA/AAA call.

I've never thought about the 'Auto Club' membership side of this. Would these organizations send out someone who would listen to a knowledgeable owner or someone who 'knows it all' and then proceeds to crush your front spoiler and say 'Your contract says we're not liable for that. Sorry.'?

Barry
I have only had the Porsche towed once and they used a regular tow truck (not a flat bed). He was very careful and got the car up without any issue. I have always found the CAA guys to be very good. I also have an RX-7 which is very low. When they see the car, they seem to take extra care.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the "spare cylinder head" story. I can't beat that.

I have a "out of town" bag of tools, water, first aid kit, flashlight, rope, etc.

Roadside repairs have included everything from removing a bumper that I ran over in the middle of nowhere one dark night, to replacing a burnt out headlight, changing a blown out tire, tighten and adjust throttle pedal, re-crimp ignition wire, recharge AC, patching up my neice's skinned knee, and several times I used my compressor to help people who needed compressed air to air up their spare tires. I always carry flares and a working jack. Always carry a good alternator belt and tools to install it. Carry a knife to cut off the AC belt if need be.

Quick Reply: Trips & Older 911s - Whats in Your Toolkit?