Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

dme relay ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dme relay ?

i posted a few days ago about my car issue...my question is..my car would not start,my tech said it sounded like a relay..i have not received the relay yet..the cranks,but doesnt fire up...well i took the relay out..cleaned it a bit and it started...and today it would not start..so i figured i would give it a jump..and it started..my ? is this...if i need a dme relay, and the car wont start cause of it...why does it start with a jump...thanks..j
Old 11-08-2008, 08:15 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When relays go bad they tend to be intermittent, so the results you are getting are not suprising, the dme relay controls the ignition and the fuel pump, so generally the motor will crank but not start with a bad one. You can bypass the relay by jumpering the contacts if you want to confirm it's bad, just do a search on DME relay.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
joey c
Pro

got the relay today ...popped it in and all is fine..j
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joey, now that you found the problem, get a spare DME Relay for the glove box.
Cheap insurance.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same experience with you where I went to the mall and when I cam out, the car wouldn't start. I towed it to my mechanic and it started and worked fine. Then it started intermittently dying on me. Now I keep a spare of all relay types in my glove box.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
joey c
Pro

yeah..i bought 2 of them...you know its funny,but i love this car so much...and to find out that the problem costs 26 bucks makes it that much nicer..
Old 11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joey c
yeah..i bought 2 of them...you know its funny,but i love this car so much...and to find out that the problem costs 26 bucks makes it that much nicer..
+1 on that! Feels good: no?

Best,

Doyle
Old 11-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joey C,

Glad to see that the DME was your issue. As an 'additional info' item, know that this Relay is actually two Relays in one package and that both of these Relay's coils are always 'hot/engaged' when the car is running. This explains why the DME is usually suspect #1 - in short, it NEVER sleeps while the car is running. Only when the car is off & parked does this Relay get a chance to snooze.

Other Relays usually live a life of an 'on/off' sort. Lights? A/C? Coils only powered when the system is on. DME? Coils ALWAYS powered when the engine is running and, over time, that can take it's toll.

It's not that the DME Relay is badly designed or a cheap part, it's just that it's probably the hardest working Relay in your Porsche's electrical system - hence the general advice of always having a spare in the car.

Cheers!

Barry
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 AM
joey c
Pro

thanks for the info...you dont learn these things until you learn them..i will always have a spare...
how long do you think they last anyhow.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joey C,

How long do they last? If you have a spare the installed one will last forever! No spare? Look for about 3 days... ;-)

Actually they do last for many years (10+ ? at least). The one that came in my car has been fine since the car's purchase in 2002 and my car's a daily-driver so it definitely sees a high level of usage. It's definitely NOT a replace every n-Years/Miles kind of thing as far as I know.

Just keep that spare in the glove (along with various fuses and bulbs), research how to change it so you know how and you'll be ready if one of the two coils in the DME shorts out or succumbs to a bad/loose solder joint.

If you're electrically inclined, I'd also suggest adding an inexpensive Digital Volt/Ohms Meter (DVOM) and a battery powered soldering iron w/some electrical quality flux-core solder to the tool kit. Good things to have when you're on a long trip!

Cheers!

Barry
Old 11-18-2008, 03:47 PM
holy911
Instructor

So, what exactly are all the relays that should be kept as spares? And where to get, price?

Quick Reply: dme relay ?